Skip to content
Newly Diagnosed
An_188723 posted:
I was dianosed with breast cancer on Valentine's Day. I have two malignant areas in one breast so I have to have a mastectomy. I have decided to have a double mastectomy because I don't want to go through this again! My biggest concern is how much time I will have to be out of work! Any one have any idea? I will have to have Chemo and possibly radiation - can you work while you are going through Chemo? I have an office job so I don't have to lift anything heavy!
I have the genetic test and ct scan scheduled for next week, preop on the 23rd - I would love to find someone to chat with that is at about the same point as me! Thanks for your help!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Have you asked your doctor about the recovery time?

I think taking time for yourself to heal properly is very, very important. Do you have paid sick days through your employer so that you're not financially impacted? Have you discussed time off with them?

I'm sure others will chime in about their recovery time!

Haylen

bcdevil responded:
Hi Anon!
I was diagnosed on feb 9th. I never even had a lump but am choosing a bi-lateral mast also becuz i don't want to do this again either!! I'm confused because my dr said with the double mast that i won't need radiation, and he won't know about chemo till about 3 days after surgery which is on the 17th, st pattys day!! There isn't a feeling you are having that i can't validate, so my heart goes out to you!! One person on here went back to work after 5 wks, but my dr put down 3 months on my medical papers. Are you doing immediate reconstruction? If so, what type? We can go thru this together since we are close in treatment stages. So is your surgery the 23rd? I'm so sorry you are going thru this sweetie!!! You are not alone and we can and will BEAT this!!!
Sandy

kayjoedwards responded:
I had a bilat with immediate reconstruction and expanders in 2009. I was out of the office for 4 weeks although I probably could have gone back in 3. The dr. told me not to drive for 3 weeks but he would OK 4 weeks at home so I decided to take the opportunity. Luckily for me I had short term disability so I was still being paid.
I can't help you with how you might feel after chemo since I didn't have that but I think you are just going to have to see how you feel since it seems to affect people differently.
Best of luck with everything. Ask away if you have any other questions about the bilat/recon.
kayjo

mballpa responded:
I was diagnosed on Feb 2 and had bilateral mastectomy on Feb 17th with placement of expanders. I still have my drains but am getting better each day. Pain hasn't been bad, just some muscle spasms now really. I had 5 lymph nodes positive which means I will need chemo and radiation. I am also HER 2 positive. My right breast was fine but I opted for the bilateral also plus I am going to MD Anderson for a consult, just trying to make sure I cover all my bases. I spoke with someone who went through chemo last year, she said she wasn't able to work full time but got on a schedule where she could work about a week and a half at a time between her treatments. I'll be happy to chat with you, it is nice to find someone who understands what it feels like. I am fortunate to have a lot of support and hope you do as well. Good luck.

bcdevil replied to mballpa's response:
Wow, you had your surgery fast!! I would like to say you are lucky, but thats kind of strange. I was diagnosed feb 9th and my surgery isn't till march 17th. The waiting is totally stressing me out!! Glad you are doing ok. I will pray for you daily so you may recover quickly!! How long did you have to wait for lymph node results? Were you in the hospital long? I keep hearing various stories about that. Im also doing immediate expanders. I'm glad you have alot of support and you can count on me, as well. Of course, i am behind you in treatments so you are really helping me. Hope your chemo is easy for you. I will definately add that to my prayers as well. Any tips you have would be wonderful!!! Godspeed with recovery. Tons of strength and prayers goin your way!! Stay strong and take care!
Sandy

Helpful Tips

Candle Lighting Site
I located the Candle site!! It was apparently removed by WebMD but we can still access it and make use of it for each of us and for all our ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center