Skip to content
radiation hyperpigmentation
sherry619 posted:
I am nine weeks out of radiation therapy and still have hyperpigmentation. Does anyone know how long this will take to go away or how long out to know if you are stuck with it for good? Any information would be appreciated.

1fernehall responded:
Hi Sherry: I'm almost a year out of radiation and my right is definetly darker than the left. I also have a definete pattern matching my "tatoos". Being in the Southwest this last winter I found that the right "tans" right through my clothes, cool,huh? Fern

jenna291 replied to 1fernehall's response:
Hi Sherry,
I had 36 radiation treatments and it took about a year for my skin color to return to normal. I was "tanned" for a good 12 months. The good thing is, it will return to its normal color.

best - Jenna

sherry619 replied to jenna291's response:
thanks I have not checked this in a very long time. I am now 2 years out and my tan is finally gone. Took a long time. At a year I was still very tanned and was beginning to worry.

jenna291 replied to sherry619's response:
It is amazing how long the skin color took to return to normal, but it was helpful that others told me it would eventually, with time.
glad you are doing well!

best,
Jenna

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center