Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sore tender spot and lump......
Dea1979 posted:
Hello everyone, I'm writing because I am extremely worried, and wanted others opinions.... about 6 months ago, I noticed that there was a sore spot on my breast. Never did a self breast exam. The sore spot never went away. Felt like there was a bruise on my breast. Then, I felt I lump. So i went to my Dr. last week finally. She said there was something definitely there, and is sending me to get a mammogram and ultrasound on the same day next week. I'm SO nervous! Why both exams? What is next? My grandmother had both breasts removed from breast cancer, had throat cancer twice, my mother even had ovarion cancer a few years ago. I'm only 31.... Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!

bcdevil responded:
Dea,
Don't worry sweetie!! Your dr is just being thorough and pro active, which is a great thing!! Most times 80% of lumps turn out to be benign. Its smart to go get it checked. I went for a routine mammo and had cancer. Never even had a lump!! Its better to be safe than sorry. I just had a double mastectomy st patty's day so i completely understand your anxiety. All that waiting was horrible and was harder than the actual treatment. Try to relax any way you can!! I will be praying for you!!
Strength and courage,
Sandy

judyfams replied to bcdevil's response:
Most scripts for mammograms DO read mammogram with ultrasound because it saves time and anxiety for the woman who may need further testing after the mammogram. That way the ultrasound can be done immediately if needed.

I remember the days when they did not do it that way and my friend did not have a clear mammogram so the facility called her doctor to get a script for the ultrasound, but the doctor was in surgery. So my friend had to make an appointment for another day and go back. She was fine - but her anxiety level went through the roof!

I cannot tell you not to worry - because we all do worry about an upcoming mammogram even if there are no symptoms! All I can tell you is to try to keep busy until you go for the mammogram so you do not dwell on your problem. Its amazing how fast we have ourselves with some awful scenario when we constantly worry about an upcoming test!

Keep busy and take it one step at a time. If you are really so anxious take someone with you for the mammogram.

Please let us know what your results are after you go for the mammogram.

We wish you good luck.

Judy

Dea1979 replied to judyfams's response:
I will. I promise. I am extremely anxious. I have to wait to go to the appt. and then a wait for all the results. Never have really gone to Dr.s much, so this whole situation is freaking me out.

Marshaalford responded:
Dear tender sore and lumpy,

Please do not be too concerned, because I too had the same problem, very often. However they were just lumps and did go away most of the time. However in the future continue to have them checked, as I did not. Because I thought I was just having another bout of lumpiness. By the time I mentioned it to a new doctor I had, he sent me right away for a mammogram and sad to say breast cancer was found. But I had the lumps on an on going basis for many years starting at a young age and cancer wasn't found until I was 67. Sometimes those lumps can be removed with a needle and washed down the sink. Just not to worry, from one who had lumpy breasts for many years.

mhall6252 responded:
My breast surgeon orders mammograms and ultrasounds at the same time. It is way less stressful than going for the mammo, then getting a call-back for the U/S.

My daughter (age 35) got her first screening mammo six months ago and then got a call-back for an U/S then had to have a biopsy. It came back benign and she just went back on Tuesday for a follow-up mammo and U/S, and again all was good.

Hang in there! There is such a high likelihood that your findings will be benign.

Hugs,
Michelle

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center