Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hi... new here
An_188741 posted:
Hi, I'm Joan, I am 57 years old, well I'll be 58 on Thursday, and I recently found a lump in my breast, I had a mammogram, and the tech said the results of the mammogram were: "a "suspicious mass" 2.6 x 2.7 x 3.5 centimeters of irregular consistency."

I am having an 'ultrasound guided biopsy" on April 27th.
This is all so new and its all Greek to me to me and I am scared to death. I don't know if this is considered large or small or what to expect. Does a biopsy hurt? I have so many questions....
So, I just looked for a place to share my fears and maybe make some friends who understand along the way and so here I am!

judyfams responded:
I feel for your anxiety - as I was there last year. You are probably having a core needle biopsy.
The breast will be numbed for the procedure and all you will feel during the procedure might be some pressure. When the needle is removed the doctor will apply pressure to the wound to stop the bleeding and again you will feel that pressure. You can wear you bra to go home. I drove myself there and back for my biopsy. The only problem I had was bruising on my breast. It looked purple and then turned color for a while - it wasn't really painful - it looked worse than it felt!
All I can tell you is to try to keep mentally busy until you get the biopsy and the results (which take about 3 or 4 days) to try to ease the anxiety.
I know how scared, anxious, emotional and paralyzed you feel right now. Those feelings are normal - you can talk to a friend or relative about your feelings if that will help you get through the next few days.
Please know we are all here for you and our prayers are with you.
Judy

kayjoedwards responded:
I can echo Judy's response. I had an ultrasound biopsy too. You'll feel the little needle that they use to numb the area and after that it's just some pressure. Be prepared for a little noise from the machine that they use to do the biopsy. At most it's just a bit uncomfortable, depending on what position you need to be in for them to get at it.
Afterwards they will put pressure on it and a little bandage. Usually they give you a little cold pack that you can put inside your bra to help reduce any swelling. You can also pick up a "boo-boo buddy" at a pharmacy. They are aimed at kids so you can get lots of funny, colored shapes. I just rotated a few thru my bra for the afternoon after I got home.
I also drove myself there and back but I didn't go back to work after, just pampered myself a little.
The waiting is really the worst part. Try to relax and do something fun and keep telling yourself that 80% of the time the results are benign.
Good luck and I hope we don't see you here again )
kayjo

jenna291 replied to kayjoedwards's response:
Agree with the above ladies, as I also had an ultrasound needle biopsy. I didn't feel pain as they area was pretty numbed, just pressure. Its not the most comfortable thing to go thru, but not the worse either.
Take some deep breaths, and best wishes for a good oucome. Look forward to hearing back from you - Jenna

rachael67 responded:
Joan, welcome to the club no one would ever wish to join but where, as you can see, you will find caring, supportive folks!

Yes, entering this strange new world with it's odd vocabulary, new faces and facilities is not quite the direction you'd struck out on in life! "Overwhelming" was how I described it...I never thought I would have to learn so much and get my medical degree in just a few days! (Did you ever hear the joke: How do you get God to laugh? Tell Him your plans!!)

Being a "lady-in-waiting" is among the most challenging of the emotional paths you will be on. We always tell each other to try and distract ourselves with things we enjoy until we know the outcome. However, truth be told, that is much easier said than done. But give it a try anyway!! It's better than sitting and fretting!

Decide who (if any) you wish to share this journey. Some find opening to close friends and family very comforting, others keep it all to themselves, and still others shout it from the roof-tops...All are right, none are wrong. Whatever works for you is what you should do!

We are praying that all comes back benign and that you can put this behind you and get on with your life. However, should that not be the case, please keep reminding yourself that breast cancer is NOT a death sentence. We are reminded often that it is "doable"! Not easy, but definitely doable!

And once you have all the puzzle parts, you and your medical team can put a plan into action. Doing that is suprisingly liberating...FINALLY you will feel a bit of restoration to that control which had been stripped from you!

Know you are in our thoughts. And please let us know how you are doing.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

JoaninOhio replied to judyfams's response:
Thank you so much, Judy, at least now I kind of know what to expect. I appreciate it.

JoaninOhio replied to kayjoedwards's response:
Thank you so much kayjo.

JoaninOhio replied to rachael67's response:
Thank you, Rachael. So much to learn. It frightens me because I have no family here, I am in Ohio and my only child, my daughter, is in CA and she has a new baby, so I guess I am worried about all of the "what if's". I suffered from necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating disease) last year and after several surgeries, I am now in a wheelchar unable to walk. I had cancer 3 years ago resulting in a hysterectomy, but thank goodness I didn't need chemo or radiation, they said they got it all. I just keep thinking, wow, I may end up having absolutely no female parts. But I have to stop thinking like that.

0910faith replied to JoaninOhio's response:
Hi Joanin,
You are not alone. It's a very scary time. Please know
all of us here are with you. I am so sorry to hear
of the other problems you have had
hugs n strength
faith

kayjoedwards replied to JoaninOhio's response:
Joan,
I'm so sorry you're going thru such a hard time. Don't hesitate to reach out to friends. You may not want to bother them but generally they are more than happy to lend a hand when you need it.
And just remember, your most important female part is between your ears!
kayjo

1fernehall responded:
Hi Joan: We're hoping for a "benign" report. You'll certainly find lots of understanding friends here. Don't hesitate to come back with questions; everyone will be happy to answer if they can add info. Waiting is always the hardest - waiting, waiting! You'll do well, you're stronger than you think. Keep a sense of humor if possible. Love, Fern

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center