Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Delayed depression??
mjobill5 posted:
My journey with breast cancer started at a time that couldn't have been worse. On August 31st (his first day of retirement) my husband had a brain stem stroke. He is 55 and has always been in great shape, no health problems. That same day I had my annual mammogram and a week later I found out I had breast cancer. Double whammy!! After 6 weeks of hospital and rehab my husband came home. Two weeks later (Oct 27th, 2010) I had a double mastectomy, two spots on the same breast, both cancer. Through all this I was a rock...I had to be!! I delayed reconstruction so we could go to Florida for sunshine and recovery, and on March 30th I had my reconstruction. I am so lucky I do not need chemo or radiation, all the nodes removed were clean! Everything has gone well but the last couple days I've been a real crybaby!! It started when I went to look for bras...no one told me after reconstruction I would still need extra help to look "normal"!! I just can't stop crying!! Is this something that some of you have had happen, or is this just everything finally hitting me??

As for the bra thing, does anyone have any suggestions as to where they've had the best luck getting fitted and finding what they need?? Thanks for everything!

JLAMB26 responded:
I too experienced delayed depression. I was diagnosed with BC 4 weeks after giving birth to my 2nd child. I had to be a rock for my family also. I had a newborn, a toddler and a shocked husband all while going through chemo after a partial then a full mastectomy. After chemo was over and I had a few minutes to let what had happened to me over the past 6 months set in and I started to cry. I've had a few pity parties for myself lately. I recently joined an exercise/support group. Taking about my feeling and sharing with these ladies has really helped me deal with my depression and fear. I also suggest talking to your doctor about what you are feeling, there are resources available to you. I don't think you had a chance to deal with BC early on so your feelings are surfacing now and that's OK, your are perfectly normal. Hang in there, we are all here for you:)
Jennifer

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Not surprising that studies show a link between breast cancer and depression .

I would encourage you to keep in touch with your doctor about your feelings - more serious depression might need additional treatment.

Haylen

p.s. Here's a link to the WebMD Depression Health Center

1fernehall responded:
Hi MJo: Yes, I think depression happens to some of us. I'm grateful to be alive. But the condition I find myself in (physical as well as psychological) doesn't prompt me to put smiles on. Been out of treatment for a year but the radiation damage just keeps me from moving forward. That's the source of my depression; plus now I worry too much about recurrence. Be strong, don't give in, my husband still loves me, my dog thinks I'm great (these are the things I tell myself to keep on keeping on). Seriously, MJo, we will get thru this. Yes, it's hard right now; but we'll get thru it. You can come here, vent, etc. because we know what you're going thru. My prayers are with ya. Fern

bcdevil replied to 1fernehall's response:
Mjo,
I totally understand!! I also am now cancer free with no chemo and radiation, but am very depressed with the reconstruction process. I had my surgery 5 wks ago and now need one of my breasts re-stitched. I keep thinking it's gonna look all the more abnormal now. The worst part is i feel sad and guilty for even complaining since i didn't need chemp or radiation. A support group helps tons, it's still just plain tough when you get a setback, even if it is minor. I'm just constantly reminding myself how lucky i really am to be able to live!!!!
Lucky shamrocks and hugs!!!
Sandy

HomerSimpson responded:
good for you!

rachael67 responded:
I am so sorry you are having to deal with so much all at once...sometimes life is not fair!!

I am glad you have found this community, and hopefully we will be able to offer some support and suggestios which might help you in your journey.

On thing I did want to mention is that your original post was posted twice, and below this one there are a few replies on the other. Please check both so that you might know others are holding you in their thoughts as well.

And come back whenever we might help...We're open 24/7 just for one another.

blessing,
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
59 of 74 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center