Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
First Onco visit today
PinkLady44 posted:
Saw both my surgeon and oncologist today. Got my stitches out and everything is looking really good, surgically speaking.

Oncologist was happy to see me, but not under these circumstances, of course! He is taking my case to his cancer review board next Wed., to see if they concur with his recommendation, which is:
4 treatments of AC (adriamycin and cytoxon) at 2-week intervals followed by 4 treatments of Taxol at 2-week intervals

All of this is dependent on whether or not my cardiologist thinks my heart can handle the AC again. This time they will do dose-dense treatments. I see the cardiologist on Monday and he will probably want to do another echocardiogram. If I pass the cardio tests, then that's what we'll do.

I'm also scheduled for a PET scan on Thursday. Since some pesky little cancer cells showed up in the one intramammary lymph node, my oncologist (who say's it's his job to be paranoid and neurotic for me) wants to be sure none of them sneaked out and took up residence somewhere else.

We may also end up doing some radiation as well, as the margins, though clear, were very narrow.

Kitchen sink time...throw everything at it, just like we did 10 years ago!

I'm not happy about having to do chemo again - actually feeling a bit nauseous just thinking about the prospect. They will give me an Ativan to take before I go for each treatement and put together a new anti-emetic cocktail of drugs to help stave off the bad effects like I had before, so hopefully this will be a smoother journey. I am praying hard that it is! They will also give me Neulasta shots to help with the cell counts since they will be doing dose-dense this time, too.

If all goes according to plan, should get my port-a-cath in the next 2 weeks and start chemo within the next 3-4 weeks. At least summer will be here soon, so the hair loss won't be too bad to deal with during the warmer weather. I just did get my hair cut...my hairdresse gave me the name of someone who makes great wigs (natural hair). Not sure if I want one or not. I had a loaner from the Cancer Society last time and only wore it about 2 weeks and ditched it for the soft jersey-knit caps that didn't itch and stayed put! Going to go out and get some of those ordered, too.

Hope you all are enjoying some spring weather - today was very nice for us with some needed sunshine. It's been a long, gray winter in the Pacific NW.

I'll keep you posted! Meanwhile, I'll need tickets for Pinkie on Monday, Thursday and Friday next week!

Hugs,

Nan / PinkLady

rachael67 responded:
Nan, thank so much for letting us know how you are doing.
I will respond to your email soon, but did want to let you (and everyone!) know that Pinkie will be around to pick us all up so that we can accompany you to your visits...Seems we need to pack a good lunch box as we'll be aboard for a few days! Any speciality foods you'd like???

Please know how much we care, and how we are sending tons of good thoughts your way!

blessings always.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Janice_78 responded:
Nan,

I'm so sorry that you're having to face this entire mess. I'm going to reserve a seat on Pinkie.

Hugs,

Janice

0910faith responded:
Nan,
You are so brave. I'm sending you pinkie tickets for
Mon,Tues,Wed, Thurs and Friday. Oh, you didn't
ask for that many. Too late, And while Sandy is
basking in the sun in Floirda, I'll throw in some of
her extra shamrocks she is always giving out.
My prayers are with you my friend.
hugs
faith

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center