Skip to content
Does anyone have an up-date on Mel (LizzardLee)/
GGrandmaJan posted:
I have been wondering if anyone has any information on how she is doing?

My heart and prayers go out to her and her family. She is one brave and courageous warrior.

Blessings and prayers.
Jan

Janice_78 responded:
Recently, I received this email from Melissa's husband:

Here is the latest: saw the oncologist last Thursday and Monday and tumor markers and blood panels were drawn and chemo was administered. Good news was tumor markers had come down and albumin had come up to nearly twice what it was in the hospital (but still below the minimum range). Bad news was anemia has increased, so Melissa's energy levels are very low. Oncs's plan going forward is weekly chemo for 3 months (3 weeks straight then 1 week off) as long as Melissa's blood levels are strong enough. Right now, during her off week, Fosladex and Aredia sessions (one a big shot the other 2-3 hour IV drip) are planned. To combat her fatigue, blood transfusions are planned starting very soon. Melissa's weight has increase a bit more (up to 110); some of the weight gain is meat on her bones since her bones are less visible in many places, but some may be fluid retention--hard to say exactly what's what. She still has 24/7 IV nutrition (TPN) which is helping keep her body functioning (although it can be hard on the liver in the long term) and anything she can take by mouth is bonus calories. Her appetite was pretty good in the past week, but has subsided the last two days. She is concerned she may be backing up again since that's similar symptoms leading up to when she was hospitalized.

She has chemo again tomorrow unless her blood levels are too low, but we won't know that until her blood is drawn and tested at the oncologist's office. She is still much too weak to drive and do many things for herself around the house plus her eyes have been affected by chemo or one of the other things the Dr has prescribed. She also is only sleeping 2 hours at a time, but we are trying to fix that with various medications. Also, found out from the oncologist recently that when Melissa was admitted to the hospital, the hospital wanted to put Melissa on hospice and not even treat. It was her oncologist that talked them out of it and said he could treat... very scary.

GGrandmaJan replied to Janice_78's response:
Oh Thank you so much, Janice.

I knew she was in the hospital but then didn't hear anything more. She is one strong warrior. My heart goes out to her and her family.

Thanks again for the up-date.

By the way my email is: luckys-mommy@hotmail.com You can email me anytime. Would love to here how you are doing.

Blessings
Jan

rachael67 replied to Janice_78's response:
Janice, thank you so much for keeping us updated on Melissa...It breaks my heart that she is having such a tough time. I cannot begin to say how much I admire her! I always appreciated how she helped each of us with her knowledge ...Now, seeing what a fighter she is, I am blown away!

Thank God for her oncologist and her DH!!! Please let her (and him) know how much we care and are pulling for our dear Friend!

Again, thank you Janice!

blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

judyfams replied to rachael67's response:
Thanks for letting us know how Melissa is doing. Her inner strength and her husband's devotion to caring for her are truly awe inspiring.

My heart does out to her as she courageously gets through each day.

Many prayers and good thoughts for Melissa, her husband and in this case her oncologist too.

Judy

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to judyfams's response:
Thank you for the update....I echo Judy in my good thoughts for her and her family (and oncologist too!)

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center