No scan yet and coming up on a year, is this normal?
JLAMB26 posted:
I was wondering what other have experienced as far as getting CT or PET scans. I finished chemo in February but am still receiving Herceptin for a few more months. I had a left side mastecomy in September 2010. I have not had any type of scan on either breast to date. My doctor originally ordered one for the right breast in August 2010 but cancelled it because I was breast feeding a newborn at the time of diagnosis and said it may interfere with the results. I have asked multiple times if I should get some sort of scan to ensure that I don't have cancer in the right breast (the mamogram did not read the tumor in my left breast) and he tells me that I don't now nor will I ever need one. Should I get a 2nd opinion or is this standard practice? I can't help but worry.

judyfams responded:
I did not have a mastectomy. I had a right breast lumpectomy chemo and radiation. I have microcalcifications in my left breast. My breast surgeon told me that I would be getting a mammogram every 6 mos on the right side (the breast that had the tumor) and a yearly mammogram for the left breast (the one with the calcifications), and that would continue for 5 years post diagnosis. I wa diagnosed in 2010, so that protocol will continue through 2015.

I am much older than you are but don not know if age factors into post surgery treatment. I am 68 years old.

If you are anxious and the young ladies here don't have the answers for you, I would recommend that you go to another breast surgeon for a second opinion.

Hopefully there will be more people here to give you more definitive answers.

Good luck.
Judy

sadblossom responded:
As with Judy, I am getting mammos on the cancer breast every six months and on the unaffected breast yearly. I have been doing this almost 1 1/2 years. I assume as with Judy, this will continue for 5 years. That's OK, I want to be monitored even as nerve racking as it can be.

If I were you I would take the route with how ever many doctors/opinions it takes to keep you safe and on top of it all. You can never be to safe with breast cancer.

I agree with Judy and would follow her advice.

Pat~sadblossom