Skip to content
No scan yet and coming up on a year, is this normal?
JLAMB26 posted:
I was wondering what other have experienced as far as getting CT or PET scans. I finished chemo in February but am still receiving Herceptin for a few more months. I had a left side mastecomy in September 2010. I have not had any type of scan on either breast to date. My doctor originally ordered one for the right breast in August 2010 but cancelled it because I was breast feeding a newborn at the time of diagnosis and said it may interfere with the results. I have asked multiple times if I should get some sort of scan to ensure that I don't have cancer in the right breast (the mamogram did not read the tumor in my left breast) and he tells me that I don't now nor will I ever need one. Should I get a 2nd opinion or is this standard practice? I can't help but worry.

judyfams responded:
I did not have a mastectomy. I had a right breast lumpectomy chemo and radiation. I have microcalcifications in my left breast. My breast surgeon told me that I would be getting a mammogram every 6 mos on the right side (the breast that had the tumor) and a yearly mammogram for the left breast (the one with the calcifications), and that would continue for 5 years post diagnosis. I wa diagnosed in 2010, so that protocol will continue through 2015.

I am much older than you are but don not know if age factors into post surgery treatment. I am 68 years old.

If you are anxious and the young ladies here don't have the answers for you, I would recommend that you go to another breast surgeon for a second opinion.

Hopefully there will be more people here to give you more definitive answers.

Good luck.
Judy

sadblossom responded:
As with Judy, I am getting mammos on the cancer breast every six months and on the unaffected breast yearly. I have been doing this almost 1 1/2 years. I assume as with Judy, this will continue for 5 years. That's OK, I want to be monitored even as nerve racking as it can be.

If I were you I would take the route with how ever many doctors/opinions it takes to keep you safe and on top of it all. You can never be to safe with breast cancer.

I agree with Judy and would follow her advice.

Pat~sadblossom

Helpful Tips

Breast Cancer Survivor
I had breast cancer surgery on right side just below my breast 2.2 cm part since 2001. It also removed 21 nodes my armpit to protect cancer ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center