Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chemo Question
Lindaquilt posted:
Hello everyone, I just had my first chemo treatment today, I feel like I am in a fog is this just a temporary thing or is it going to be like this for the next several months. I feel like i already have chemo brain. I would like some feedback on your expereience with chemo. Does things get better a coupleof days after chemo??

JLAMB26 responded:
Congrats on having your first round behind you! Chemo is different for everyone. The "fog" usually set in for me the day after chemo and lasted for about 3-4 days until the next round. Make sure to drink lots and lots of fluids and eat small, healthy meals. This will help you feel much better:) I wish you the best of luck with your journey! Jennifer

judyfams replied to JLAMB26's response:
I had chemo for 6 rounds every 3 weeks and found that the second and third day after the day of infusion were my "foggiest". SomI then made sure to schedule my chemo to take place on Thursdays and knew there would be friends and family around on Sat. and Sun. if I needed their help. I started to feel better each day after that until the next infusion. So I just made sure to not plan anything except rest on those 2 bad days. I made sure to stay home rest and drink lots and lots of water.
It does get better if you drink lots of water and eat many small meals every 2 hours to keep up your nutrition and strength. Eat lots of fruit and lean protein. Stay away from fatty, processed, fried or spicy food too.
Good luck to you!
Judy

mhall6252 responded:
I agree that the first couple of days after treatment is like you're traveling in a parallel universe. I had treatment on a Wednesday and was back to almost "normal" by Sunday. It's a bit different for each of us.

Hang in there, drink your fluids and eat small meals as others have said, and take the anti-nausea drugs to stay ahead of it. Don't try to "tough it out."

Hugs and healing,
Michelle

cindy12345678 responded:
Hi Linda,
One down! The first couple of days are that way. Just rest and do what these ladies say. The fluids are most important. They told me if I couldn't or didn't feel like eating to drink something. Sometimes the side effects are strong and you can't think straight. Thats when you rest. The A/C was that way for me.I hope you feel better.
Love , hugs and strength,
Cindy

564deb responded:
I think things will get better for you. I had A/C every other week and I definitely had more good days than bad. I was also happy to find that treatment 2 and 3 were not really any worse than number 1. The last one wiped me out physically but I just used that time to really rest and rejoice knowing it was the last one.

God Bless, Deb

brcansur responded:
Linda
Goodmorning, 1 behind that is a good thing the fog gets better in a few days. You need to make sure to drink your fluids and eat small meals throughout the day. Listen to your body and get plenty of rest. On these days I felt like napping a lot and that is just what I did. I would start to read and find myself falling asleep to wake up with my book on my lap. But that is what the body needs so that is what you should do your body knows best. If your mind is foggy it is that why so you can't really do much in that state so you will rest. I would get my chemo on wed and by sat or sun I was out doing little things outdoors and feeling much better. Don't get me wrong I still felt tired and did not feel the energy I did before chemo but not to bad. As I got closer to my last treatment the tiredness got worse the nasty taste in my mouth and the bone pain but I was used to it by now so I knew what I could or could not do after a treatment. Take the meds for upset stamach and your pain meds and you should be ok. Don't wait till you feel sick or the pain is bad because by then it is to late just take as the doctor told you to and you will be fine. I wish you all the best and send angel hugs your way everyday Roberta
Roberta

Lindaquilt replied to JLAMB26's response:
Thanks Jennifer, I feel pretty good today, I am eating more, I felt like I was on a two day fast lol. I not having that foggy feeling as much today. Right now I feel pretty good, I am eating small meals that's all my system can handle right know. Thanks for your well wishes, and yes it is a journey can't wait until the end. Enjoy your Saturday.

Lindaquilt replied to judyfams's response:
Thanks Judy, yes my chemo is on a Thursday and it's just today that I felt like eating anything really at all the first two days I ate saltines, and water, I don't know if I can eat protein, but I'll have another source to get them from I feel meat would be a little heavy right now, Tonight for dinner I had some brown rice and baked beans. I don't normally eat fatty, processed or spicy foods so I am good there. Thanks for your well wishes.

Lindaquilt replied to mhall6252's response:
Thanks Michelle, I do drink lots of water more then I've ever had ever, I've taken the anti nausea drugs both two days and one this morning and I just had dinner so I think I am doing pretty good. Beleive me when I tell you, I am not toughing anything out, if they give me drugs iam going to take them they are the best they help alot. Thanks for the hugs and healing, enjoy your Saturday.

Lindaquilt replied to cindy12345678's response:
I feel pretty good today Cindy, I had so much energy, I was able prior to the first chemo was able to walk 3 miles, well, that has been cut down drastically can't do that, walking around the block is a struggle, I hope I'll be able to get back in the swing of things when I start rad treatment. Hugs back to you Cindy

Lindaquilt replied to 564deb's response:
Hi Deb, my schedule is the same as yours and yes I think knowing that the last one will be the strength to get you through. I'll have two rounds of chemo A/C was my first and another round of 4 cycles every third week with a three week rest in between and then onto rad

Lindaquilt replied to brcansur's response:
Hi Roberta, I do drink my water I have no other choice but to dring I've never had so much water. The only bone pain they said I would have is joint, I was told my the nurse in the lab to take a claritin for five days due to the niddle they give me to keep my white blood cell count high which would cause joint pain, I am not in any paid and I hope I am not as I journey through all of this. thank you as always for the angel hugs that you send my way, angel hugs back to you, as a matter of fact as I was sitting in the chair waiting for the nurse to set my infusion up I thought of you and angel hugs, with my eyes closed I actually felt the wings of the angel being wrapped around me and then thought about all of you gals that have helped me out, it was a great feeling.

brcansur replied to Lindaquilt's response:
Linda
It is so nice hearing from you today, I was thinking about you and how you were doing. I am so happy that the angel hugs work for you and that you actually felt them isn't it the greatest feeling!!! I felt it for the first time when I was going through chemo, I asked for the angel to please come and comfort me because I was a little tense. That is when I felt them. It was the softest feeling but it felt just like wings wrapping around me and it just made me feel so calm and at piece for the rest of the day. That is when I started calling them my angel hugs. You can talk to the angels to all you have to is ask for them and they are there any time any place. You may not see them or hear them but they are there. Just like god or any other higher power a person may believe in. We don't see them but know they are there watching over us. So are the angels. So keep believeing and you will keep feeling them when you need them do as you did before close your eyes and they will come. Hope all stays well and chemo is not hard on you have a good day thinking of you always angel hugs Roberta
Roberta

jenna291 replied to brcansur's response:
Hi Linda

My fog was about day 4 of chemo, when I would hit a brick wall and just want to sleep! It would gradually subside. I went every 2 weeks for my infusions. I too found drinking lots of fluids helped. Gratefully I never got mouth sores. I also drank "boost" a vitamin drink every day whjen I couldn't eat too much.
Every time you go for a treatment, it is one more behind you on the road back to "normal"!
God Bless you and we are all here~Jenna

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center