Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
exercise
sherm80 posted:
We all have heard the benefits of exercise for many afflictions, including breast cancer. HOWEVER, how much is enough to HELP with that risk factor?? I recently read that 10 hrs/wk of brisk walking is enough to substantially lower the risk. Are you kidding me?? How about some realism here, if you exercise/walk 5 days/wk, that means 2 hrs for that walk, I'm lucky if I get in 30 min!! I sure hope there are better guidelines than that to help with the exercise end of warding off bc! Right now, I do 50-55 min of walk/running, 4 days/wk--I sure hope that accounts for something!!!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

rachael67 responded:
If it doesn't, many of us are in deep do-do!!! I claim an allergy to exercise, but everyone sees the lie in that! I think, bottom line, any is definitely better than none! And too much may prove harmful to our joints, etc.

In other words, just as with most things, moderation is the key! Maybe others can give you more specific statistics, but I think one week you will hear one thing and the next someone will come along to dispute that! Go with what your life and time limits allow...and with what makes you happy!! Sometimes the energy we spend on "chasing after health" would be better spent gathering with friends and sharing laughter!

Now I'll get off that soap box and listen to those who know much more about exercising than I.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

sherm80 replied to rachael67's response:
"Chasing after health" is something I do WAAAY too much, and try to analyze every little pain!! And I read Web MD too much, hahaha! Thank you for your response, what you say is all too true!!

kiwiallright replied to rachael67's response:
Rachel,

I love what you have written, best advise ever.

Thank you.

Mary

jenna291 replied to kiwiallright's response:
Well, I was an avid walker when I was diagnosed, so who knows! I think being physically active may have helped a bit with some of the chemo. Rachel is so right, do what makes you happy - we can all make ourselves crazy.
I don't think anyone really has a handle on why some of us get this dreaded disease and some don't. Some of my most physical friends had it, and the couch potatatoes did not!!!!
SO..... whatever works for you I say!
Jenna

brcansur responded:
Hello, I agree with the other ladies and Rachael I love the allergy thing I should have tried that one lol;). I do go to the gym but am limited to what I can do because of back injury from auto accident. I also go in a heated pool and use weights in there and get a lot of my exercise that way, walking laps and step climbing, swimming ex it is much better on my back and hips. So what ever works for you is better then nothing at all is the way I see it. Some can exercise everyday for hours others only a few min a day so it is what ever you can work into your day and what your body can handle due to health issues you may have. I sure hope that your time walking/running counts because it is more then I can do and if it doesn't like Rachael said I am in deep do do !!!!!
Have a great day angel hugs Roberta.
Roberta

sherm80 replied to brcansur's response:
Thanx guys, all great advice!!

Corrie79 replied to sherm80's response:
My doctor and nutritionist told me there was a study done recently on the effects of exercise for women with breast cancer. The control groups exercised 4 hours a week and their recurrence rates were much lower. So I'm shooting for that. It's a little more than a half an hour a day. Pretty doable. Good luck!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Corrie79's response:
Hello ladies! Here is a WebMD article that you might find helpful:

Nutrition and Exercise During Breast Cancer Treatment

Click for the whole article but here is a line that might make you happy moderate aerobic exercise (like walking) for about 30 minutes, three or more times a week.

So you can cut those 2 hour walks down

Haylen

brcansur replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen
Thank you that is very doable I do that already just running errands and taking walks. Plus I love to work in my yard and walk around my house a few times to do it. have a great day angel hugs Roberta
Roberta

0910faith replied to brcansur's response:
Thanks Haylen,
I agree it's very doable. When I hear about ladies
that go 8 hrs at a time I hate to say I only do 30 minutes
a day. Plus chasing a puppy playing does me lots of good.
thanks
faith

bcdevil replied to 0910faith's response:
I think the worst part of this nightmare has been the fact that i couldn't exercise. I don't go to the gym, just have always swam, did floor exercises, treadmill and bike riding. I'm not a freak about it, i just find that i'm worse now when i don't exercise. My legs, back and joints just ache from sitting around. I'm doing everything now that is easy on pectoral muscles, cuz for awhile i couldn't even open a twist off cap from a miller lite!! lol I wish we all could walk and talk together. We would make a great team, dragging out twins around!!!
Love, hugs and lucky shamrocks
Sandy

rachael67 replied to bcdevil's response:
"...i couldn't even open a twist off cap from a miller lite!!"...GLORIOSKY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not being able to drink drove you to exercise! Now that surely is a turn-about!!

Hope you can soon return to doing the kinds of things that made you feel better physically and emotionally!

blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

brcansur replied to bcdevil's response:
Sandy
I love the part that you couldn't even open a twist off cap from a miller lite that is a good one. So are you saying that you had to start exerciseing so you could open your own beer if no one was around lol.... I love it we all need a reason and that sounds like a good one I guess if you like your nice cold bee on a hot day.
I agree the just sitting around does make your body hurt more after your used to exercising. I am the same day the more I move around the better I feel I can't just sit I have to get up and move do something even if it is walking around the house while healing from surgery I had to do it. It would be great if we could all get together and walk time would go by so fast. I bet we would walk a lot longer and farther then if we were walking a lone. Then I am picturing all of use with our twins and for some reason it is a funny picture . Well have a great weekend angel hugs Roberta
Roberta

bcdevil replied to rachael67's response:
Rachael,
Everything drives me to exercise. I feel guilty if i don't and my back starts to ache and stiffen up. I have osteopenia and narrowing vertebraes, so movement keeps my joint lubricated. Actually, at first i couldn't twist off caps from anything, pill bottles, drinks, even lotions. It's amazing how much you use your pectoral muscles. Never realized it till now. Slowly, it's getting better and my implants are starting to fall. I just wish i could make things better for all of us! I don't drink much, just socially. Well, have a gorgeous Sunday girl! It's a nice hot steamy one here in Michigan, and i'm loving it!!
Love, hugs, and lucky shamrocks
Sandy

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center