Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Calling All East Coast Friends.
GGrandmaJan posted:
Please East Coast Ladies, Can we have a very quick roll call for any of you that still have electricity. Your friends from other parts of the country are very concerned and worried about each and everyone of you.

Just one liners will work.!!!!

Sending loads of prayers everyone stays SAFE!!!!!

Blessings to All.
Jan
Yesterday is History--Tomorrow is a Mystery--Today is a Gift that is why it's called---The Present!!!----Quoted from Eleanor Roosevelt.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

brcansur responded:
Jan
hello, the storm is not supposed to hit here until sunday night so going shopping later this afternoon to stock up on things and get bottled water just in case. Our water may get pretty nasty and I will not drink it after bad storms. I filter my water anyway but not after bad storms all bottled then. I am getting everything picked up outside and garden covered as well as I can hope it doesn't get to bad here. They are calling for rain and thunder and heavy winds. I am more inland and about 31/2 to 4 hours from New York City. I sure am prayer for those closer and on the coast. I will keep you all posted when I can praying for you al lstay safe!!! Let us all know how you do with this nasty storm. Angel hugs Roberta.
Roberta

judyfams replied to brcansur's response:
Jan,
I live in northern NJ about 35-40 min. from NYC, and 9 miles from the GW Bridge, I'm about 2.5 hours from the shore, but am surrounded by the Ramapo River and the passaic River which tend to flood. I don't live in a flood zone, but in the past just driving 10 min from my house and the area is flooded. So it doesn't help to look out my window to see what's doing.
So I don't intend to drive anywhere tomorrow - I could get stranded forever 5 miles from home!!!!!!!
Good luck to all!
Judy

GGrandmaJan replied to brcansur's response:
Thanks Roberta, I was not sure where in NY state you were located. Glad you are not by the ocean. Remember about the flooded roads. When in Doubt--Turn around!!

Did you ever get the gardening book? Good time to find it as it is a delightful read. Something to do by candlelight. LOL.

Wishing you all the best.

Prayers for everyone by the ocean.
Blessings
Jan
Yesterday is History--Tomorrow is a Mystery--Today is a Gift that is why it's called---The Present!!!----Quoted from Eleanor Roosevelt.

mhall6252 responded:
I am at my daughter's house in Acton, MA and everything is A-OK here. We are not supposed to get the brunt of the storm until late tonight or early tomorrow.

We have a marine battery, a generator, plenty of food, candles, and flashlights, and not a tree around us. But we are on a little lake and it could get windy. We've brought inside as much stuff as we could cram into our little house, everything else is tucked into sheltered corners that we think will be ok.

Irene should be less intense by the time we get hit in southern NH.

Thanks for thinking of us, I am sure we'll be ok.

Hugs,
Michelle

Jenna291 responded:
Hi Jan,
Yes, we still have power - I am about 1/2 hour from Boston. We are supposed to have worse weather tomorrow afternoon into tomorrow night Its raining here now and muggy, but very calm out. My area expects about 4 inches of rain with high winds tomorrow night. That will be the test!!!!
Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. I am very concerned about tree damage. I have a lot of ledge in my yard, woods in the back, and that is not a good condition for the soaked trees. All prayers are welcome!!!
I'll keep you posted. Have my candles and flashlights ready, lots of snacks, and picking up my mom in the am who lives alone and is scared! Hopefully I can update you as long as we have power tomorrow!!!! Giant hugs, Jenna

GGrandmaJan replied to mhall6252's response:
Oh Thanks Michele,
Sounds as if you are fully prepared. We are all glad to know our ladies are taking this very seriously. So many from what TV is saying are not Some idiots were out playing in the ocean.

So far I have heard there have been 4 people who lost their life. So sad.

Thanks so much for checking in.

Stay safe and dry. You may be stuck for days due to flooding. Sending many good thoughts to you and your family. Thank goodness no trees around you.
Fondly
Jan

GGrandmaJan replied to Jenna291's response:
Thanks for checking in, Jenna. I know your mom will appreciate not being alone. Kuddo's to a great daughter to think of Mom. Just be sure to watch flooding when out and about. I am sure you are watching TV if you still have lights. This is really a monster storm. It looks huge.

Yes, be very careful of the trees. Even big branches can cause harm, as you probably know already.

Sending tons of prayers. Have you thought of filling your bathtub with water to flush toilets. It has worked for me in the past. My DH has colitis so the toilets are my #1 priority but we are on a well.

Stay very safe.

Again many thanks for the up-dates.
Blessings
Jan

GGrandmaJan replied to judyfams's response:
Thanks Judy, Yes, don't want you stranded 5 miles from home and safety. Boy, rivers can be so dangerous. We have 3 downtown that tend to go over their banks when we get too much rain. Thanks goodness, we live 10 miles up on a hill.

I have helped clean up Father /Mother-in-laws house to many times to remember in the last 20 years. Now the nephew bought it and raised it up 8 ft to get out of the flooding. River water is just nasty to clean up.

Thanks so much Judy for checking in.

Sending a boat-laod of prayers. Stay out of harm's way.
Blessings
Jan

Jenna291 replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Hi Jan,
I never thought of that with the bathtub -great idea! You never know. Mom just got over a pretty bad stomach infection and she has diverticulitus, so why not be prepared for anything?
I am so praying these trees are safe. I know some have to come down, but trying to wait until fall, its an awful expense! Hopefully mother nature doesn't speed things up tho because they are pretty tall.
Latest is heaviest rains and tons of wind from 10am tomorrow to around 10pm - so it looks like a long day. Thank goodness for chocolate and lots of other yummy snacks! Maybe some scrabble with the family if the power goes out!
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers - love, Jenna

GGrandmaJan replied to Jenna291's response:
Jenna---start filling up all clean jugs and other containers for drinking water. They just said on CNN--if you put a sheet in the bottom of the bathtub--fill it up 1/2 way with water you can still take a shower if the tub is all you have until the lights go out. Just don't drain the water. Take a bucket or etc and put the water either in the tank of the toilet or just in the toilet itself and it will still flush. Just a thought.

It really sounds like it could be days before the electricity is restored. Be sure and bring all your Mom's meds and any extra with her. You don't want her missing any doses. Get cash as the ATM's won't work with out lights.

Good luck with all of that. Mercy, I don't mean to preach but we have survived a week without lights. If you have a freezer put sleeping bags over the door the minute the lights go. Also the freezer above the refrig. It will take much longer for freezers to thaw out if you seal up the doors with quilts (oh Heaven's what am I saying--Quilts) or sleeping bags or anything you have that is heavy to keep the cold in.

If I think of anything else I will pass it on to you.
Always Jan

mhall6252 replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Another tip I heard yesterday...a full freezer stays colder longer than a half-empty one. Fill plastic bags almost full with water and stick them in the freezer to fill the space. You'll have ice, drinking water if necessary, and your food will stay frozen longer. I thought that was a pretty good tip. My freezer is full, so I'm not too worried.

DH says if the power is out for long, we're driving to a hotel. I guess he doesn't want to rough it too much! We lost power for a couple of days in the winter when we were in KC. I had to laugh at people who "lost" the food in their fridge. All they would have to do is stick it in a box and put it outside!!! Sometimes people forget about the really simple things.

Michelle

sadblossom responded:
Jan, this is a wanderful idea for a post! Helps us all stay in touch with those in harms way.

Ladies on the East Coast and surrounding area.....I pray that you all will be safe and spared any harm and fear during this hurricane. I have had you all on my mind.........
I live in the part of the country that is suffering from heat and drought........Texas. We have cattle dying and starving here. Farmlands are dry and sandy, it all reminds you of the great 'Dust Bowl'. Our lands are suffering and enduring so much this year across this entire country. I fear for this land.
But to all of you that are having to ride out this hurricane I pray the Good Lord will watch over you and your families/friends and keep you all safe. My heart is with you all.

Please check back in afterwards and let us all know how you are and that you are safe.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Blessings........
Pat~sadblossom

GGrandmaJan replied to mhall6252's response:
Oh Michelle, That would be to funny if it wasn't so sad. In the middle of winter and they let their food spoil. I guess people get so use to having electricity they can't use their brains.

I hope you don't have to rough it toooooo long. It can wear on the nerves, specially at night with nothing to do.

Stay safe and thanks for that post.
Always Jan

GGrandmaJan replied to sadblossom's response:
Thank you Pat for the compliment. I was sitting here this AM wondering how everyone was doing and of course worrying. I knew a few of the ladies live right in Irene's path so thought I would ask them to check in.

Plus we haven't had the boards working well for days. It was time to get our BC friends posting again.

That does not sound good about the cattle and crops. So horrible as the economy is bad enough without Mother Nature making things worse.

Take care.
Blessings Jan

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center