Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3.Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Newly Dx
    tracy_11 posted:
    I just found o0/60ut I have IDC, no staging yet. Been researching and the more I do, I wonder if I even want to do any treatments. Mine is both ER and PG positive 50/60%. I go to the surgeon wednesday for options. Any advice?
    judyfams responded:
    I had IDC stage 1 and had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation and am on an antiestrogen regimen for 5 yrs.and finished treatment 9 mos. ago.
    I was 67 yrs. old at the time of dx and tolerated all the treatments well.
    Please know that the decision to undergo treatment is your personal choice. Each of us had to decide what to do. Might I suggest that you see what the surgeon thinks your options are before you decide not to have any treatment.
    You could also do one treatment like having surgery and then decide NOT to have chemo, radiation, take antiestrogen drugs etc.
    If you read posts and blogs on the internet, please understand that the people who write them usually DO NOT view their treatment (s) in a positive way. They usually relate horrible experiences with doctors, or medicines etc. Those of us who have not experienced problems with breast cancer treatments usually do not write that on the internet.
    So my advice is to take it one step at a time and then make each small decision - before you just automatically rule out all treatment.
    Naturally the decision is totally yours and your family and friends should respect and support your decision.
    Good luck on Wed. with the surgeon. Please let us know what the surgeon says and what you decide to do.
    tracy_11 replied to judyfams's response:
    That is my problem I want be informed as in if it is this this is the treatment plan, if that then this is the path. I will really need to take this one step at a time. But it is hard to do that.
    And the more I read the more uncertain I become.
    shell1007 replied to tracy_11's response:
    You will drive yourself crazy reading anything & everything that is out there.
    I also had IDC, stage 1,ER/PR Pos. Had a lumpectomy in Oct 2010. Followed with radiation - fin that in January. Now on Tamoxifen. I had no problems with surgery or treatments afterwards.
    I know it is not easy to look at worse case scenario but try and not jump the gun.Hopefully your surgeon will explain all the options available to you.Take somebody with you to the appt to take notes for you.
    This is a great place to be. There are many amazing ladies here that care & have great advice.
    Please keep in touch
    judyfams replied to tracy_11's response:
    I don't know exactly what are you uncertain about?
    If you have early stage cancer that is fairly small then the usual recommendations are lumpectomy followed by radiation. If the tumor is large, then mastectomy would be the option.
    Depending on how many lymph nodes are involved and the results of the oncotype test you might also need chemo.
    Once again you can decide not to do any treatment.
    It would help us if we knew your age and your family situation. This would help us to try to give you the advice you have asked us for. Please give us some more information.
    rachael67 responded:
    Tracy, I am sorry that you are facing this. There is no one here who doesn't appreciate how overwhelming the situation can be...You feel blindsided and out of control!

    Perhaps if yoiu check out the WebMD page WebMD's 10 Important Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Breast Cancer you will find some questions to propose at your appointment and get the answers you need to make good decisions. Always ask lots of questions and don't let them not be answered to your total understanding. Get a 2nd and 3rd opinion if you are still uncomfortable with the responses (or lack thereof!).

    You will be in our thoughts.

    Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly!
    Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!
    sadblossom responded:
    I too had IDC, stage 2 grade 2..........8 nodes removed, 2 were positive...........had 3 surgeries...........30 radiation treatments and have been on Arimidex for 1 1/2 years now..........2 1/2 years of Arimidex to go. Chance of recurrance 8%, 17% without Arimidex. I take the pill !

    Treatments are a personal decision. And being your own advocate and doing a great amount of research IS a must!

    You will be given a recurrance % once the proper testing is done on the cancer tissue they remove/removed. Maybe you should wait and make your decision upon receiving that report.It is a very important test and gives a better look at what you are dealing with. Ask your surgeon about this test. I think it is referred to as an Oncotype test. This test is VERY important. If given a choice opt for the test which they may be doing as we speak. Most do.
    That is the best advice I can give you at this point. Once you have the whole picture, you will know what you need to do. I did not hesitate on treatment. But that was what seemed right for me. As of yet, I do not regret my decision.
    Please return and let us know. And I wish you the best of luck.
    Tracy_2011 replied to judyfams's response:
    I have been married for 31 years, and my hubby is taking this very hard, I have one child age 30 at home with special needs. I am her primary caretaker. I also have two more children and one step son. All out of the home.

    I am seeing a surgeon in Lubbock, Tx wednesday pobably seek a second opinion at MD Anderson.
    I know the biggest thing is wait for the surgeons reccomendations. But I want to put my eggs all in a row so I will know what to ask, regardless of her answer.

    My hubby told me he wanted me to do treatments because wanted me around for a long time. I told him he needed to lose weight so he would be aroung to take care of me.
    Tracy_2011 replied to rachael67's response:
    I did copy that off thank you.
    Tracy_2011 replied to sadblossom's response:
    I will be here. Thank You for the information.
    mhall6252 replied to Tracy_2011's response:
    Tracy - your situation sounds similar to mine. I've been married 31 years to my DH, I have 4 children - the youngest is 30. No special needs, though.

    I had a Stage 1 cancer last summer and a Stage 3 recurrence this spring. I am throwing the book at this beast because DH and I have some dreams yet unfulfilled. And grandkids to love and watch grow. And I told my DH that if I was going to go through this aggressive treatment, then he owed me...and by that I meant that he needs to lose weight so he will be here to enjoy life with me. So there you have it! When I am through treatment, he is going on the wagon, one way or the other!

    As for trying to have all your eggs in a row, it might be better to take it a little at a time. Believe me, it can all be overwhelming and trying to decide everything without all the facts is really impossible. I try to take it one day at a time, one hour at a time, and sometimes one minute at a time.

    You're young, and you have one of the best cancer centers at your fingertips (MD Anderson). So try to breathe, listen to your options, then make your decisions. It will get a little easier as time goes on.

    judyfams replied to Tracy_2011's response:
    Thank you for answering my questions. These are some questions to ask:
    1. Why is he suggesting one type of surgery over the other (lumpectomy vs. mastectomy)?
    2. If lumpectomy is she able to do that surgery so you can have brachytherapy - internal radiation, nstead of external beam radiation? If not, why not?
    3. If mastectomy - are you a candidate for skin and nipple sparing mastectomy?
    4. Reconstruction or not - if reconstruction can she recommend a plastic surgeon that specializes in that? Do you want immediatiate or delayed reconstruction? When you see a PS ask him if he is able to do the different types of reconstruction, implants, DIEPP, SIEA, Latissumus dorsal flap, GAP and the newest micro fat grafting. Research each one to see what you feel you would like.
    5. Is the surgeon doing a sentinel node biopsy done?
    6. Is the tumor being sent out to have an Oncotype Test done?
    Hopefully this helps you. As I said previously I am close in age to you with a similar diagnosis and had all the treatments and tolerated them all very well.
    Please let us know how your visit with the surgeon turns out.
    tracy_11 replied to mhall6252's response:
    I am trying to take this a little at a time. I figured I still will have to to look things up.
    tracy_11 replied to judyfams's response:
    I printed this off. Tomorrow I will go through everything and see to make my list. And I found my other log in. lol my mind is apparently not working to well.
    tracy_11 replied to tracy_11's response:
    Ya'll have all been really helpful. I will keep you all informed.

    Helpful Tips

    How to more easily read discussions
    Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    28 of 47 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center