Painful lymphedema?
JLAMB26 posted:
Quick question for those with lymphedema. I developed lymphedema 6 months after my mastectomy. I had all my nodes removed, two were cancerous. I've been getting physical therapy and everything was going along fine (even getting better) until last week. My arm and hand have become extremely painful to the touch and look even more swollen. I have an appointment with my physical therapist on Thursday but was wondering if I should be concerned and contact my doctor before then. Has anyone exerienced this?

judyfams responded:
I personally have not had this problem. But in doing my research on lymphedema, it said to raise your arm straight up and make some fists. This is good to do any time especially before a plane trip.
Also If you have a compression sleeve you should continue to wear it.
Hopefully other ladies will be of more help to you.
Good luck and leet us know what the therapist tells you to do.
Judy

Jenna291 replied to judyfams's response:
Hi,
I also did not get lymphedema, but had 14 nodes removed and had a great deal of pain and trouble lifting my arm for several months. I had vigorous physical therapy to get it back to "normal". Years later, I still get aches and tiredness in that arm and the incision is uncomfortable to the tough.
I have heard the same thing s Judy - raise your arm straight up as much as you can to keep the circulation giong. Also, I have heard to get a small ball and lean it on a wall repeating circular motions several times.
I am sure your doctors can give you more tips. I would contact your doc right away. The sooner you can get started on a treatment plan the better.
best to you ~ Jenna

JLAMB26 replied to Jenna291's response:
I've been receiving treatment for the last 5 month for lymphedema. Compression sleeve, glove, exercises, the whole deal. It was getting a bit better until recently. I did end up going to the doctor yesterday and I have an infection in my arm. That explains the severe pain!

judyfams replied to JLAMB26's response:
Thank you for getting back to us.
I am glad that you found the reason for your pain and it is being treated. Let us know how you are doing.
Good Luck,
Judy

Rachael67 replied to JLAMB26's response:
I echo Judy's reponse and hope the inflection is soon cleared up. Please keep us updated.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly!
Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!