Skip to content
not sure what community to be in
melissiahead posted:
I am not sure what community I should be posting in so here I go a couple of years ago I found a knot in my right breast I was suppost to have a mammogram done and when I got there the radiolgist did an ultrasound instead and said that it was just an infected milk gland and not to worry. Well today I went back to the doctor and she ordered a diagonist mammogram to be done because of where the knot is and the size of it since it has gotten bigger and is starting to hurt. Everybody tells me not to worry because I am too young to have breast cancer but it does run in the family I am going to be 31 years old tomorrow and I have a 5 year old and a 7 week old baby so I am not sure what to think anymore any advise would be helpful please.

Rachael67 responded:
There is no one on this board who doesn't appreciate the dreadful fear that you are dealing with at this moment...Trying to phathom the unknown only invites worst-case scenarios!

Okay. To begin with you must breathe! (Sounds odd but at such times we tend to hold our breath, assuming that by doing so, everything will go back to before this all began. Sadly, that does not happen!) So...slowly and deeply, breathe in...now, slowly breathe out. Concentrate on each breath. Again, slowly and deeply in...and slowly out. Keep doing this until your world begins to slow down to a more manageable pace. And go back to this exercise whenever it begins to spin wildly again!

Now, the good statistics: 1) 80% of lumps are benign! 2) You are on the youngish side to have breast cancer. 3) Usually cancer does not hurt.

Having said all that, does this mean you are totally out of the woods? Sorry, no. It just means that the odds are definitely on your side. The waiting and worrying can't just be dismissed quite yet.

Fortunately, your doctor is being careful that you do not fall through the cracks. Good for her...and for you!

Considering the age of your youngest, I would weigh things on the side of milk gland issues and not cancer. However, again, this is only my opinion. The testing will provide solid answers instead of guesstimates...and will, hopefully, provide you the reassurance which will let you sleep much more easily!

Please know that we are here to offer support and lots of hand holding as well as offering personal experiences. Come back whenever we might help. And please know you will be in our thoughts. Let us know how you are doing. Okay?

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly!
Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Jenna291 replied to Rachael67's response:
So sorry you have to go thru this fear, but as Rachael, said, it is important to breathe. Relaxation techniques are a real help as you wait for your diagnosis.
It is good your doctor is reacting quickly to check things out. That is a step in the right direction.
We are all here for questions and "venting" and will be hoping and praying that this is just an issue with your milk gland.
Please come back and let us know how things go...
In the meantime, you will be in my thoughts and prayers....
Jenna

brcansur responded:
Hello and welcome you have come to the right place to get your questions answered , to vent , to chat and to be listened to when all you need is to talk. All of the ladies here have been through or are going through something like you so they know how you are feeling right now. We have all had something show up that just wasn't normal and had to have the test done and had to wait for results. It isn't fun it gets on your nerves but we have all made it through and are here to talk about it and help others out just like you. So like Rachael said breath nice calming breaths it will help.
Hopefully all they will find is that your milk ducts are acting up being that you just had a baby and the last time you had issues was after your last child was born. So try and stay calm and spend time with the family to keep your mind busy that will help. I will send my prayers and some angel hugs your way best of luck with your mammo. Please come back and let us know how you are doing and what you find out Roberta,
Roberta

JLAMB26 responded:
Your doctor is right to check it out further. Chances are that it is an infected milk duct but for your own peace of mind check it out and put it behind you. When my son was 4 years old and my daughter was 8 weeks old, I was diagnosed with breatst cancer. I was so thankful that my doctor instisted that I get a mamo and biopsy because the cancer was caught much earlier than it would have if I had waited. I had a mastectomy and chemo and a year later I'm having so much fun with my one year old and my kindergartner! No matter what, we are here for you. Thinking only positive thoughts for you!
Jennifer

melissiahead responded:
Thanks everybody for your words of encouragement this has kinda made my husband worry becasue about 4 years ago we lost his mom to breast cancer so I think he is more worried then what he is letting on and he wont say anything to me about it because he thinks that I have enough to worry about already the all of my other medical problems that I already have so the only thing we can do is breath. Thank y'all

brcansur replied to melissiahead's response:
Hello and goodmorning,I know how husbands sometimes worry more then they need to. Tell him that today there is enough to worry about going on in the world around us so lets not add something else unless we have to. Lets not add any more worries to our load we don't know anything yet so therefore we really don't have anything we need to be worrying about. Lets just enjoy our children and have some family time without all the stress and added worries untill we get the tests and the results then we will see where we go from there.
Try and keep both of your minds busy by doing things with the family play with the children read them books together, bath them together, watch a movies together anything that keeps your minds off of thinking about your test.
I hope that this helps you some and that you and your husband can get away from some of your worries for a while. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

melissiahead responded:
Is it up to the radioligist to choose what test he wants to run rather than what the doctor ordered? The tech that ran the ultrasound found the knot and then the radioligist came in and said that he could not find it and when we told him he was not in the right spot he just got alittle upset and said that there was nothing there but he never felt the right spot and he was the same on that ran the test last time and he told me is was a milk gland last time and when I seen him the other day he said it was a lymph node last time so any suggestions on what I should do the only thing that he told me was to watch it and if it continues to grow come back. He also made the commit that there is nothing wrong because of I am too young to have anything wrong. Cancer runs in the family on both side my mom and dad. Anybody have and suggestions about what I should do? I have a cousin who is 4 years older than me and has inopperable cancer.

Rachael67 replied to melissiahead's response:
Melissa, were I in your shoes, I would immediately seek a 2nd opinion! To advise anyone "...that there is nothing wrong because of I am too young to have anything wrong. " is absolutely incorrect and dismissive!! Go to a breast care center and get a diagnosis from their medical team. They will be the most current information-wise and will have the most up-to-date equipment.

Incidentally, the doctor gives a Rx for what tests to run...It is not up to the tech or the radiologist. (Of course, the radiologist might determine that when a mammogram is asked for that you need to have a magnified mammogram or such...In other words, he might find a reason to expand on the Rx.)

Please remember that the squeeky wheel gets the attention...Don't settle!!
Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly!
Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

melissiahead replied to Rachael67's response:
He didn't even do the test that was ordered because of my age and said that I did not need to follow up with him and if my doctor wanted to see me back then that was fine.

judyfams replied to melissiahead's response:
Melissa,
You really need to be seen by someone who can actually diagnose the "knot" that you feel.
Maybe you should speak to your obstertrician and have him/her refer you to a breast surgeon if that needs to be done. Or maybe you can speak to your pediatrician to ask for a recommendation to a breast surgeon. It may or may not be an infected milk duct, but you need to definitely find out one way or another.
The stress you are under is not good for you or your new baby - especially if you are breast feeding.
It is heartbreaking that you are so upset at a time in your life when you should be enjoying your new baby.
You really do need to find a doctor who will help you find out what is going on.
Please do not give up and let us know how you make out.
Judy

melissiahead replied to judyfams's response:
My doctors office called yesterday and I was talking to the nurse and let her know what happened the other day with the radioligist not even feeling the right spot and I was instructed to call my ob and talk to him and let him know what is going on and since I have been having some other problems also after my c section and see what he wants to do. The nurse said that the radioligist did not find anything there and I asked her if there was not a knot there then why did the doctor,the tech that did the test,my husband and I feel it she said that is a good point and that I need to follow up with a different radioligist. So I am making an appointment with my ob to see what he wants to do.

brcansur replied to melissiahead's response:
Hello, I agree you should talk to your doctor and get a second radioligist to look at the pics if not run a new test. The one that looked at them sounds like a real winner??? if you ask me he needs to go back to school or something. If you and your husban plus the tech felt it then there is something there that needs checking. Best of luck and don't give up till you found out something even if you have to go to a different doctor a few times your health is to important. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Jenna291 replied to brcansur's response:
Hi,
Get tht second opinion! This is YOUR health and you need to make absolutely sure everything is okay. It is sad how hard we have to be our own advocates.
Good luck with all of this and come back and tell us what happens.
my best to you ~ Jenna

melissiahead responded:
Sorry I have not been back in awhile I have had a sick baby for going on 2 weeks and now my 5 year old is getting sick. So the earlist I can get in to see my ob is the 25th of this month even after I told them what was going on so we have about 2 weeks left. Thank y'all for all of y'alls support through out all of this.

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center