Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
elusive question
sherm80 posted:
Once and for all, I'm trying to get a forthright answer here to a question that nobody in med profession can seem to give me---my dad developed breast cancer later in his life, mid 70s, and it was eradicated with some radiation, and that was it, BUT, my question is how does that affect me, being a woman (59), in terms of genetics with male breast cancer. Do I need to be more aggressive in my screenings, I go annually now for a mammo, should I be doing more?? And, as stated, drs I have mentioned this to, seem to be mildly indifferent to this finding, still seem to concentrate more on the WOMEN in the family who have had it (of which there is none, in immediate family).

judyfams responded:
You received one X chromosome from your mother and one X chromosome from your father to make you a female. So there could be a slight chance that you might be at a slightly higher risk than the general population. But there could have been factors other than genetics that caused your father to develop breast cancer, like age, lifestyle, exposure to certain carcinogens etc. Since male breast cancer is relatively rare - his might have something to do with the Y chromosome - which you do not inherit.
However, usually having only one first degree relative with breast cancer is not a red flag. To see if you really are at a higher risk, you should try to check as many blood relatives in as many generations as you can to help determine if you are possibly at risk

judyfams replied to judyfams's response:
Sorry I pressed submit too early!!!!!
At any rate if I were you I would just continue to get an annual mammogram and do monthly self exams and not worry too much about the fact that your father had breast cancer. Try to exercise, eat right and maintain a healthy weight which is always recommended for all of us.
Good luck,
Judy

sadblossom responded:
sherm..........
I am by no means a pro at any of this, but I will pass a personal story on to you that might help..............
My husband's grandfather had Lukemia and passed away from it.....my husband's uncle from this grandfather had colon cancer, my husband's aunt from this grandfather died of breast cancer.........
My point being.........cancer was in his family and visited more than one person and yet all in different ways. I had BC and no one else in my family ever has. So.............if I were you, I would answer this with a YES. Be aggressive, do all you can do, stay on top of it.
Doctors will not commit to answering this question very often........maybe it is a liability thing. So, it is up to you what you do and how often you do it. We should all be more aggressive, myself included. My ignorance kept me from dealing with my cancer earlier than I did. I slacked on mammo's and paid for it. Scientific facts or not..........family history or not.........stay on it. That is what I think.
I know you wanted more definite answers but maybe there are none. This is my personal opinion and this needs to be your personal decision.And as has been said...........Cancer is cancer........male or female, mother or father, daughter or son.
Best of Luck.
Blessings...........
Pat~sadblossom

jenna291 replied to sadblossom's response:
Hi,
I so echo what Pat is saying - cancer is cancer, and we must all be dilligent with our own health concerns.
I had no family history of breast cancer, did my mammograms and doctor annual visits faithfully each year, yet found my 3cm lump 3 months after a mammogram. I was lucky to have felt it, and I reacted quickly, as too many of my friends have gone down the breast cancer path. I was not at all in denial about it - and thank God I reacted as it was invasive stage II.
My dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at age 78 and passed away from it 8 months after his diagnosis. He had no family history of cancer on either side of his family. I asked if there could be a link with him and my bc, and I was told no, he was diagnosed too late in life for that to be the case. But honestly, does anyone really know WHY????? There always seem to be more questions than answers. All I can say is, stay on it with the docs and get checked.
Tanks for letting me ramble - sometimes the frustration with the whole thing is overwhelming!
hugs ~ Jenna

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center