Skip to content
What does a lump feel like?????????????
pringles4piz posted:
We're constantly bombarded with advice telling us to examine our breasts monthly. What the HECK am I feeling for? My breasts are so lumpy that I can't tell what's "normal" or not. I'm pretty good at figuring out that the smooth sort of soft lumps are just cysts and there is no need for panic. Someone told me that a "bad" lump would feel a bit like a bb. I find those all the time. They're there for a couple of months and then gone but new ones crop up all the time. I'm really beginning to feel like I have no idea what would be something to have checked out. The last time I felt something that didn't seem like anything else I had my doc check it out - she sent me for a diagnostic mamo and sonogram. The radiologist said it was just a cyst. I persisted because the small hard nodule I felt was sort of behind a larger soft cyst-like lump. She felt for it herself and said everything was ok. 6 months later and it's still there and still feels very different from anything else I can feel. By the way, the larger cystic lump is gone now. I just wish someone could tell me how to distinguish between normal cystic lumps and lumps I should be concerned about.

sadblossom responded:
Hello.........
These are very normal questions and I was the same way. I always thought I had what I called 'gobby' breast but when teh lump appeared I had no dought in my mind that it was different. Mine was larger than a BB when I found it. It was superficial and easy to feel. It felt like a marble. It felt round and hard and DID NOT MOVE WHEN FELT. That makes a difference. When I placed a finger on each side of the lump, it would not move.And at one point it felt like it had a tail on it. It was not painful. So 2 clues, 1. does not move.......2. is not painful. Unless of course you 'feel it to death' then it will become sore.
I hope this helps. I also hope the other fine ladies here will stop by and give you even more info.
Best fo luck!
Blessings.........
Pat~sadblossom

Lukeperry responded:
Hi,
That's a great question. I'm one of those women who had smooth breast, so when I saw my lump, I knew it was bad! On a Mon. my breast were normal, then on Wed., I could see a giant lump! It came that fast, and it was so big, you could see it. It was the size of giant gum ball, sticking out of the top, right side of my breast. As soon as I got out of the shower, I showed my boyfriend who I thought he was going to faint, on the spot.
He was so cute, trying to act all calm, while I could see terror in his eyes. I calmly said,"oh, don't worry, it's probably a cyst." We both knew that I'd never had a cyst, in the 20yrs. we'd been together.
The next day I called my gyno, saw him, had a mammogram, then had a biop., all in one day. Then the next day was, see a surgeon. After that, everything is a blur, up until today. Which is about 16 month's later. Wew! That felt kind of good to say all that. Thanks!

Luke

judyfams replied to Lukeperry's response:
It seems at this point you need to find a breast center with doctors who have experience with palpating all kinds of lumps and know when to have further tests or when it is better to watch and wait.
If you have to convince your doctor to do something, then you need to change doctors and find one that you have confidence in. You should not be persuading your doctors to do something in order to get answers. That is why I suggested a breast center - since that is all they do I'm pretty sure they are good at distinguishing lumps, cysts, etc.
Hopefully you will find a doctor that gives you peace of mind.
Good Luck,
Judy

Lukeperry responded:
Hey,
When I told you about my lump, I didn't mean you should dismiss yours! I just reread your post and you need to get a second opinion. You should do what Judy said and go to a breast center. Or pick out a different surgeon and tell him you want a 2nd opinion. Take your mam. report with you (you can get it where you had your mammogram) If you take it, you won't have to go back to the doctors office, unless he orders another mammogram.
I picked a different surgeon then the one I started with. That one, yelled at me! Do you believe it, a doctor yelling at his patient? You need to feel very comfortable with your doctor, so don't think twice about changing. He plays a big part in your recovery.
Luke

brcansur responded:
Hello,
I agree with judy you need to find a breast care center near your home to get a breast exam done and be able to go to for follow ups. Now as for doing self exam at home what you are looking for is anything that feels different to you.
I had very dense large breast which from what I am getting from your post you may also have. This makes it hard to tell sometimes what is normal or not. I would do my exams in the shower usine shower gel it makes it easier to slide your fingers over your breast and to feel everything that is going on in your breast.
1. Fell for anything that feels different and like Judy said does not move.
2. Something that may feel a little harder then the reast of the lumps and bumps in your breast.
3. Look for puckering of the skin around the breast area and nipples.
4. red marks and discolored areas on the breasts and or nipples.
5.Anything coming from the nipples fluids
6. Change in size of breast bigger or smaller within days not due to weight.
These are just some of the things I could think of to watch for and check for that you know you need to get to the doctor and have checked.
With that said I myself would call the doctor if I find anything at all that does not feel right to me in my breast no matter what better safe then sorry. Because the sooner found the better and best chances of getting the cancer out if that is what it is.
I wish you all the best and please keep doing your self exam that is how I found my tumor it was not found on my mammo even after we could feel it. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center