Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Don't Eat Fresh Fruit!
lukeperry posted:
Good morning Everyone,

During chemotherapy, and radiation therapy our white blood cell count goes down. When this happens it compromises our immune system and makes us unable to fight the bacteria that adheres to almost all fresh foods.

It can makes us very ill, and can come on very suddenly if we eat any uncooked, raw, or unpeeled food. We shouldn't eat lettuce, tomatoes, apples, peaches, etc.... The way I ate my fruits and veggies, were canned. If you have to eat your melon, you need to scrub it first with a antibacterial cleaner, because the bacteria can get inside when you cut it.

To be safe, I only ate cooked, or canned foods. While I was having chemo, the ER was the last place I wanted to go. Oh, don't forget, no eggnog at Christmas, because of the raw eggs.

I hope you all have a great weekend and God bless.

Luke

kiwiallright responded:
HI,

I ate fresh fruit, I would clean them real good, especially peaches, raspberries and good ole strawberries. Mind you I couldn't eat watermelon while on chemo and strawberries did not sit well either, I have been told that you need to clean them really good.

Love to all

MAry

mhall6252 responded:
Luke,

I disagree with your statement, and my oncologists at Dana Farber discussed this with me. I ate fresh fruits and vegetables throughout my chemo treatment with their blessing and encouragement. According to my oncologist, there is no need to avoid fresh fruits and veggies unless you are seriously neutropenic. Even then, it's usually just a few days between your chemo cycles. Typically, if your white count is high enough to receive chemo, you can eat whatever you want. And that includes fresh fruits and veggies, which are important foods for keeping you properly hydrated and keeping your electrolytes in balance.

Yes, exercise care and make sure you practice good hygiene. Before swearing off fresh fruits and veggies, please talk to your oncologist.

As for eggnog, most of the stuff in the store is likely pasteurized so it's not really raw. Again, read the label and ask your doctor if you have questions about your dietary needs or wants.

Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

brcansur replied to mhall6252's response:
I agree with Mary and Michelle you can eat fresh fruit and veggies but you need to clean them well before you eat them. They are very good for you at any time to keep your body in good health, to keep your body hydrated, and your electrolytes in balance and they have a lot of vitamines and minerals in them that our bodies need. So if you have any questions ask your onc or primary care doctor about eating them. My onc pushed eating fruites and veggies during chemo but also told me to make sure to wash them very good before eating. She also said to eat high fiber foods, and lean protein and to drink plenty of water. So as you can see you need to eat well during chemo and take care to make sure it is cleaned well before eating.
Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

lukeperry responded:
To all the people who said you can eat fresh fruit and vegetable's while your having chemo, and radiation are wrong. They all come out of the ground with a natural bacteria(that won't hurt normal people, with normal blood cells) but people who have low white cell blood count can become very ill. Washing them won't get rid of it, only cooking them will. I didn't say not to eat fruit and veggies, I said, they need to be cooked.(like out of a can)

You were very lucky that you didn't get sick. (your white count probably wasn't low that day) I say, why chance it, eat them cooked. While having chemo, who wants to take a chance on feeling worse? You can check it out on the American Cancer Society board, Web MD Board, or anyplace on the internet.

Luke

mhall6252 replied to lukeperry's response:
Not sure why you decided to resurrect this issue after so many months, but...

I still disagree with you. I specifically asked my Dana Farber oncologist about this, and she told me that it was not a problem unless my white count was extremely low. Since I got a Neulasta shot after every treatment (except one) my white counts were usually ABOVE normal so there was no issue. The benefits of a healthy diet that include fresh fruits and vegetables cannot be overestimated, not to mention the benefits of hydration to minimize chemo side effects.

Last time I checked, there were hundreds of fruits and veggies that are not harvested from the ground. Most are the result of a flower pollination, except for maybe potatoes, turnips, carrots and other root veggies.

Everyone is an individual and should follow the instructions provided to them by their medical team. Like anything else involving our health, there is no "one size fits all" answer.

From the Livestrong website:

"Some oncologists recommend avoiding fresh fruits and vegetables for patients undergoing chemotherapy. This recommendation is controversial and lacks substantial evidence according to a 2000 Centers for Disease Control report. If you have questions about whether you can eat fresh fruit during chemotherapy, it's best to consult with your doctor about your specific situation."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/511062-can-i-eat-fresh-fruit-while-taking-chemotherapy/#ixzz1lX0EIFCa

Another internet source that promotes healthy eating during chemo:

http://www.rkefford.com/DietandChemotherapy.html

Michelle
Michelle

jenna291 replied to mhall6252's response:
As with anything else, this is individual. Watermelon literally was my saving grace thru most of chemo to stay hydrated. I had a hard time with water but for some reason cool watermelon was easy to get down and full of water. This tip came from a friend who had gone thru chemo before me and helped me a lot.
I also had the Neulasta shots to boost white counts. Most of my veggies were cooked, my mom always made me chicken soup with lots of carrots, spinach, celery, but I did eat quite a bit of fresh fruit, partcularly melons, and they seems to digest pretty well.
I had spoken to my oncologist and team of docs thru the process, they pretty much said whatever I could tolerate. As Michelle pointed out everyone is individual and what can work for one may not be the best answer for another.

I hope you are feeling well Luke.
~Jenna

mhall6252 replied to jenna291's response:
Jenna - I did chemo in July and August, and watermelon was definitely my favorite. I also ate fresh berries with Greek yogurt for the extra protein.
Michelle

brcansur replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle,
I like you am not sure why this is being resurrected but I like you ate plenty of fresh fruit and veggies suggested by my onc. I also liked my melons they just seamed to go down so well and not up set the tummy. Like you said if you are not sure or have questions ask your doctors and they will let you know what is best for you.
I was always asked if I was eating plenty of good healthy fresh fruit and veggies plus lean proteins each time I went in for my check ups and chemo. Plus drinking plenty of fluids water mainly and getting my rest.
What ever you do try to eat healthy to get and stay healthy is all we can do and hope for. Have agreat day and week angel hugs to all and a healthy week also, Roberta,
Roberta

brcansur replied to jenna291's response:
Jenna,
I also had the shots but I am not sure if that is why our doctors suggested the fresh friut and veggies to us or not but I was ok the whole time eating them. I never got sick when eating them I actually felt better when I did eat fresh fruit or veggies. Yes melon did seam to go down pretty good and not upset the tummy that is odd that it worked so well for so many of us. There has to be something to it. But like you said everyone is different so it may not work for everyone or be the best answer for everyone. So if you are reading this and have questions if they are right for you ask your doctors they will know what is best for you and your well being.
But all of my doctors have told me as long as they are handled right and cleaned very well they are very good for you and you should eat them each day. Plus your lean proteins and I get told to eat red meat I just say yaa right ok what ever and they alugh at me because they know i don't eat meat unless I really have to. That is to bring my blood counts back up really really have to bring them back up that is the only time. Don't really get a long well with meat my tummy doesn't like it enough said lololol....
Have a great day sun is shining here and warm again today maybe a early spring we can hope right!!!?? Well we really didn't get a winter so I will take the sun shine what ever you want to call the season. Enjoy it hope you get outside during lunch it is so nice here hope it is there also.. Angel hugs Roberta,,
Roberta

judyfams replied to brcansur's response:
I too ate lots of fresh fruit and veggies during chemo.
I must state very strongly that I have a problem with any post that states something as being an "absolute".
Medicine has many different interpretations - even with the exact same data. Therefore you are doing the readers on this site a disservice when you catagorically state something as being the absolute, positive definite truth.
You need to be very careful about how you state something on a website about breast cancer that has many readers.
You should only say that you have read there is a controversy about a topic and leave it at that.
The writer of the original post is not certified in the medical field, and even if she were she still should not make any statements on this website that are not substantiated by medical research and clinical trials.
This kind of misinformation can cause much unwarranted anxiety to the ladies going through chemo. My advice is to speak to your oncologist and follow their recommendations.
Frankly, Haylen, I think this post should be removed from this site!
Judy

rachael67 replied to judyfams's response:
I can appreciate how this post is getting some conflicting responses and is raising some questions. That being said, however, it is my understanding that WebMD has only a few specific reasons for a post to be deleted. As far as I can see, though many feel thiswarning about consuming fruit is not correct, we have over the years had others also post treatments, etc. which differed with the general approach. I do not think we should start censoring for a difference of opinion. We might find it to be a vicious critter who will come back to bite each of us!

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

lukeperry replied to rachael67's response:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you just said. I just went through chemo and etc. Trust me, if in doubt, don't do it.

Very simplely, cook food before eating it, or take a chance on dying! I'm not going to argue with you. Obviously, you never had chemo.!

rachael67 replied to lukeperry's response:
Hey, Kiddo! I am not accusing you of anything! In fact I am supporting your being able to post/share whatever you have found useful! I was addressing a previous member. Look back!

No arguments...Merely supporting your rights!!
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center