Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
To Femara or Stay on Tamoxifen?
bc090109 posted:
I have been on tamoxifen for just over two years with minimal side effects thus far thankfully. I am always nervous about the potential for endometrial cancer. Yesterday my new doctor (I moved) told he he wants to put me on Femara. No discussion about other alternatives. I read up on other peoples experiences with this drug and think I'm better off on the Tamoxifen in terms of the side effects for better quality of life. Anyone been on both that can provide some insight on the SE's?

I am 11 out of 15 nodes positive stage IIIc, had chemo and radiation, and a bilateral mastectomy

judyfams responded:
May I call your attention to the article listed here on the right side of the page under "Related News". This article does state that Femera is better at decreasing the recurrence rate of hormone positive breast cancer than Tamoxifen.
The article does recommend that women who are on Tamoxifen switch to femers after one or two years.
You should download the article and discuss the relative percentages with your new doctor.
You must remember that you are in control of your body and the ultimate decision is yours to make.
I am sure he will suggestthat you try Femera for a few months to see how you do. Remember that only 30% of women who take AI's have the severe side effects of extreme joint and muscle pain. You might be in the 70% who do not get those side effects.
I am sure you will have women here who will post that they have had NO serious side effects and those who will tell you that they have had very serious side effects.
So the decision is yours to make.
I wish you good luck.
Judy
P.S. I too will be facing the same decision in a year, about whether or not to switch to an AI like Femera. Hopefully there will be more studies for me to base my decision on.

Helpful Tips

Candle Lighting Site
I located the Candle site!! It was apparently removed by WebMD but we can still access it and make use of it for each of us and for all our ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center