Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to this and scared
sheryl740 posted:
Hey,
Just diagnosed with early breast cancer. Am told will need chemo after surgery for HER receptor, even tho there is very small area. im scared stiff.... I saw my mom go thru it ( she was stage 4) and it was everywhere.. and Im told this is different, but Im still scared. I am our soul support and have to work. Is this really going to be possible? I think they are talking about giving me the drug herceptin, but not sure. Any help appreciated.

jenna291 responded:
First off, I am very sorry to hear of your dreaded diagnosis. Secondly, this is a wonderful place to come for support or just vent.
How often will your chemo be and do you know what it is called?
I found that as each infusion came around I was a bit more tired. Sometimes you will just want to sleep. Also, since our immune systems take a beating, you will want to stay clear of people who are sick.
Let us know some more particulars.
There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. It will get brighter as you get closer to completion. Stay strong and we are all here whenever you need help ~ Jenna

brcansur responded:
Welcome and hello, I am so sorry about your dx but you have come to the right place. The ladies here have been through it or are going there it right now like you. So I am sure you will get your questions answers no matter what they maybe so feel free to ask away. We all will try and help you in any way we can, that is what we are here for to listen when you need to vent or just chat away, answer your question when we can oh and we even laugh at times here yes we laugh and joke too. So please come back often.
Now about your cancer yes yours is different then your mothers and treatment should be a easier for you. I have had plenty of women in my support group that worked during chemo they said that at times they would get tired and had to be careful if someone got sick but other then that it was no problem for them. On the days that they had treatment they took it off then on the days they got really tired they would work half days if it was to much to stay all day. They had worked this all out with their bosses before hand.
I myself was already out of work so did not have this issue but I did still have energy to do some shopping and even went out for some good hikes in between treatments. I still went for walks and did some things around the house. So it is doable you just have to see how you are going to do with your treatments then go from there. I wish you all the best stay strong and stay positive you will do just fine. I am sending you my prayers and some angel hugs have a good day Roberta,
Roberta

judyfams replied to jenna291's response:
It is scary to get the diagnosis of breast cancer. So we do understand your being terrified. That feeling is normal especially since your mom also had breast cancer.
Please know that early stage breast cancer is very treatable as you are finding out.
I planned to have my chemo on Thursdays so I could have the whole weekend to recuperate. That worked very well for me. I also made sure to drink lots of water and eat many small meals with lots of fruits and veggies and lean protein. Also I would advise you to take the anti-nausea meds the oncologist gives you - don't try to tough it out! Chemo is tough, but you can help youself get through it.
Be up front and honest with your doctors and nurses, as they are there to help you, but if you don't tell them anything then they cannot help. So talk to your doctors and take care of yourself and let family and friends help you so that you can conserve your energy since you need to work during your chemo.
Please let us know how you are doing.
Good luck,
Judy

sheryl740 replied to judyfams's response:
Ok third times a charm... thank you all. Trying post to all who answered. I think this thing hates me

Had surgery today, all good looks like no node invovlment. no spreading. Mom had adenocarcinoma, stage 4 they never found original site.. but it fits.

I am HER2 receptor positive which means I will have drug called Herceptin chemo. IV.. they tell me it wont make me sick or lose my hair, but Im a nurse and am worried about compromised immume system. Good news, my boss is very supportive. making this short in case it goes blank on me again. So comforted by my warm reception, if anyone can tell me how to stay on this thread, with you guys ,let me know

brcansur replied to sheryl740's response:
Sheryl,
Welcome back and that is great news no node involvement and no spreading. I wish you all the best with your recovery and chemo you are on your way to having all of this behind you. I am so happy for you that you have a understanding boss that supports you through all of this that is so important.
About staying on the thread I really don't know much about your problem I havn't had any issues with that. But hopefully Haylen see's your post and finds out what is happening to you and she can help you out or one of the other ladies knows what is happening to you. But please don't give up trying All I do is keep posting and hope that it shows up and post here lol.lol. If not I come back later and try again. Have a great day and healthy healing with no problems. Listen to your body and take it easy. Angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

JLAMB26 responded:
Welcome to the group also. I'm so glad your boss is supportive, that will make your journey a little less stressful. Relived about the no node involvement also which usually means to radiation! I worked pretty much through my whole chemo process as I too am the income provider in my family of four. I had to take a few days off the week of chemo toward the end but it was doable. Remember, every's experience is different through. I received Herceptic treatments for a years and had saw little if any side effects. Keep your chin up and and your thoughts positive and soon this will be a distant memory!

Jennifer

cindy12345678 replied to sheryl740's response:
Sheryl,
Hi! I am so glad there was no node involvment. I was dxd
with 2 primary cancers. One was plemoric lobular the
other was HER2 pos ductal. I was treated with T/H, A/C
then followed up with 11 additional treatments of herceptin.
There are few side effects. You should be able to work.
I have been working full time. There are things that your
doc will watch for . Neuropathy ( hope is spelled right) is
a problem for some. It has been mild with me. They will
monitor you. The good news is that drug really works on
that cancer. I am cancer free since Jan. '2011. If I had
to pick a chemo drug to take that would be the one. I haven't
had any infections. Just take the usual precautions.
Hands away from face, wash alot. I hope I have calmed
some of your fears. Thats what we are here for.
Love and hugs,
Cindy

sheryl740 replied to cindy12345678's response:
Thank you all for your support. Makes me feel a little better. So worried about money.. know thats not whats important . will fell better when path report is back. Will keep you posted and tahnks for being here.

rachael67 replied to sheryl740's response:
Glad that whatever gremlins have been giving you trouble posting disappeared at last!

Also, VERY glad to hear your report...Sounds most encouraging! We will continue to send good thoughts your way while you wait the path report.

Regarding troubles posting, please let us know exactly what you are encountering, and we'll try and walk you through the process so that you are free to come here anytime and not just when the fates decide it is okay!

Keep us updated...We care!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly!
Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Ima_Survivor replied to rachael67's response:
The absolute worst part is the beginning, all the unknowns - you'll get through - stronger than ever!! It sounds like your prognosis is good!

MBH34351 replied to sheryl740's response:
Sheryl -- Congratulations on no nodes -- that's excellent! You and I will be starting Herceptin about the same time. We can compare notes. My onco said that the first time, there might be some flu-like symptoms for a day or so but that should only happen the first time. She said I'd be able to work, so I would expect the same for you! I don't think that neuropathy is a possible side effect of Herceptin.

Mary (Hurray for Herceptin!) Beth

sheryl740 replied to MBH34351's response:
Hey guys,
Think I figured out the problem with me using the site.. user error.. duh.. now I just reply to the last post and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks everyone for your posts.. its comforting to hear that ppl actually live their lives while having chemo. Mary Beth, we will So compare notes.

I am grateful for heceptin also. friend of mines daughter passed away in her 20's about 8 yrs ago , stage 3.. Im not even sure they had tha t then and she HER positive. Im still scared, but staying positive. Its just one more path on the journey.

Doc said Herceptin wouldnt make me lose my hair.. I told her.. well, if you could guarentee me it would come in thicker, I dont think I would mind

Thanks again, Mary Beth.. and all of you.. .in my prayers.

Sheryl

brcansur replied to sheryl740's response:
Sheryl,
I am so glad you figured out how to get the posting to work for you, now you can post hopefully without any troubles.
You are so very welcome that is what we do here help others out when ever and as much as we can. So please come back often just to chat or vent or ask questions and like I said before even to joke and laugh with us sometimes. I wish you all the best with starting Herceptin. I will keep you in my prayers angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center