Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just starting my journey.
tnlady74 posted:
Hello fellow friends. I am new to this game - diagnosed 5 weeks and just finished the modified radical mastectomy---only on the left. I chose to keep the right breast because it was still OK. I had my port installed last week and will begin my 16 weeks with chemo next week. I feel strong and confident that this is only a side journey for me and that I will survive. My doctor told me that he treats many stage 3 and that I can live a long life. I had 7 lymph nodes out of 15, so I will also do the 6 weeks of radiation to get it. Hang in there my sisters. I am encouraged by your stories of strength and power. I am a little worried that I will have to continue to work through my struggle but I know others are like me.

Take the Poll

Is there anyone newly diagnosed and in my position?
  • yes i am newly diagnosed
  • yes, I am working with this diagnosis
vote
View Poll Results

judyfams responded:
So sorry that you are joining us - but you have such a great, strong positive attitude and that will go a long way for you!
The chemo is something you will be able to tolerate since you sound like you will not let it get the better of you! Plan ahead and listen to your body - it's good to keep working during chemo as it gives you a purpose to get up and get out each day.
However - a word of caution - if there is a day(s) when you just can't get up and get to work, please listen to your body and stay home and rest. Do not try to be Super Chemo Lady - you will pay for it later on! Also get help from friends and family with the kids and shopping and laundry and cleaning etc. Better a less pristine house than a sick lady!!!!!!
So take care of yourself, let us know how you are doing and come here often to share, vent, cry and even laugh - we do it all here!
Much good luck to you!
Judy

MBH34351 responded:
Welcome. Sorry you have to be here. I continued to work while I did dose-dense chemo in 2003. I definitely missed some work, but for the most part, I was there.

My place of employment was willing to let me work from home but my onco did not like that idea. She said I should continue to live my life as normally as possible. She said the only change she would recommend would be to wash my hands a lot more often. Well, there were certainly changes other than that, but I did continue to be a productive employee AT work. I'll be starting chemo again this Tuesday and plan to work except on the mornings I'm getting chemo.

I wish you the very best. Keep us posted.

Mary (working veteran) Beth
It's doable!

brcansur responded:
Hello and welcome, I am sorry we have to meet this way but you have come to the right place. The ladies on this board will try to answer your question and give ideas to help you along your journey. We are here to listen and chat when you need that shoulder to lean on and ear to listen or just someone to laugh with yes we also laugh on here from time to time.
I am a stage 3 b/c survivor almost 4 years since my bi mast I also had 2 positive nodes and I am here to let you know that chemo is very doable and that I am still here cancer free and doing well. Your positive attitude is a great thing to have it will go very far during chemo. I believe that is what helped me dearly during my chemo. The more positive you are the better you will feel during and after each treatment. My advice is make sure to drink plenty of fluids and eat small meals also make sure to move around a little every hour or so this will help with the muscle and bone pains some of us get. The eating small meal every hour or so helps so you wont get the upset stomach it helped me alot never got sick doing this. even if it is just a few crackers. I also think working will help keep your mind busy and your body moving this could be a good thing. But at the same time make sure to wash hands more and stay away from anyone that is sick. Other then that it sounds like you have it all under control . Stay strong and stay positive and you should be fine keep your chin up you are one of the pink ladies now so you are just as strong as we are and you too have the strength to do this. I am sending some of my angel hugs your way and everyday some more for strength and comfort to help you on your journey. Kepp up the great work Roberta,
Roberta

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi tnlady74!

I'm the community moderator and work for WebMD to make sure each community is a safe and informative space for those seeking support and information.

Please let me know if you have any questions about navigating the site. I'm so glad you have discovered this wonderful group of women!

Haylen

cindy12345678 responded:
Hello Tnlady,
I love your positive attitude and I like that your onc sounds
very positive too. We will be here to help you along the way.
Please share your treatment with us. There are so many
new things out there, we are always interested to hear.
Just do whats right for you during treatment. I worked
through some and some I didn't. I know I made the right
choises for me.
CIndy

jenna291 replied to cindy12345678's response:
Hi Tnlady,
Sorry you have to join us, but you are in the right place for questions or to just plain vent when no one else understands.
Staying positive will take you a long way.
I agree with Judy, don' try and do too much if you are feeling tired. Take whatever help you can and concentrate on moving forward.
I was diagnosed a few days before my 51st birthday, that was 5 years ago. I am 56 today and going strong, and hope to be for a very long time.
Sending you lots of good, positive thoughts and will look for your update -
hugs and flowers,
Jenna

laramin responded:
Hello, I just finished chemo last month and surgery on left breast a week ago. I had mastectomy w/ recons on the left breat last May but I did not have clear margins so surg had to go back in and remove more tissue. I now have clear margins and will be having rad in two weeks. I am also stage 3 (1 tumor was big 5.5 cm and multi focal and had 2 of 13 lymph nodes postive) so I had to do all the treatments. Staying positive and prayers had helped me during treatments. However, I had really bad nausea and I would get it for days after every treatment. I took anti emetics but did not help much. I was told that if you had bad morning sickness during pregnancy, chemo will do the same and I had nausea with my 2 pregn. I wish you luck and stay positive and strong.

susan1240 responded:
Dear Tnlady,
Am glad you found this site. There are many women here who can relate to much of what you are experiencing. You do seem to have a positive attitude ... that comes sometimes after the initial SHOCK of a breast cancer diagnosis! We learn the facts, study up on our particular cancer, then move forward with the professionals and our loved ones. I was diagnosed with lobular breast cancer in both breasts in 2009 .... soon after had a double mastectomy. Had stage 2 in my left breast and stage 1 in my right. My surgeon took out 3 lymph nodes on the left, and 2 on the right. Fortunately, there was no cancer in the nodes ... had clean margins for the tumors. Went through 16 weeks of chemo ... similar to what is planned for you. It is doable, like they say, but read up on it, and follow your doctors', nurses', and our helpful hints. Luckily, I did not have major problems with chemo. It wasn't a picnic losing my hair, but a bought a cute wig and some granny caps for sleeping, and moved forward. Some people said I looked better in my wig!! (thanks a lot!!) Popular movie stars wear them all the time. I also realized that my hair WOULD grow back .... in time .... 8 months??
My thoughts will be with you as you begin chemo. I had chemo throughout the Christmas holidays ... there never is a good time to have chemo ... but you roll with it and try to get as much support as you are able. Working might get your mind off things, but remember, if you have a bad day ... just stay home!! : - ) Please keep in touch with all of us. We wish you the best.

Hugs,
Susan

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center