Skip to content
Make your own radiation treatment cover-up
mhall6252 posted:
I absolutely hate the hospital gowns at my radiation center. They are just ginormous and i always feel like I'm half exposed because the arm openings are so big, and I can usually wrap one around me twice. And they go down almost all the way to my ankles. So I made myself one out of a soft tshirt.

I cut it all the way down the back, then sewed a pair of ribbons at the neckline and in the middle of the back to use as ties. It took me all of ten minutes! You don't have to worry about cotton tshirts unraveling. But if you didn't like the raw edges, you could get some fusible iron-on hem tape, fold over the edges and seal them. I think I am going to make another one with a front opening for other exams.

I am so excited to not have to wear a hospital-provided gown!
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

brcansur responded:
Michelle,
Love the look and idea much better then those hospital gowns and you will know that it is going to fit you the right way and cover everything up. Plus this way you could also make a warm one for cold weather and a cooler one for summer time. Thank you so much for the great idea, now the question do they have a problem with you using it instead of their gowns? Because if not I think I am going to get busy making some for myself for my next visit coming up her on the 19 th a warm one because I am always freezing at my appts. You should get a patten on them and get credit for coming up with such a great idea I am sure a lot of us ladies are going to love this idea and use it. I am sending my best wishes that the weather hold out for you for you travels to Boston. It sounds like the last one wasn't much fun and very long. Heres to safe travels no snow and making good time. Have a great evening and weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

mhall6252 replied to brcansur's response:
Roberta - I wore my tshirt gown last night and the rads techs loved it! They also mentioned patenting the idea. I wonder if it's really THAT original! I think as long as there are no buttons or metal, they don't care. I could see making one from an old sweatshirt if you need a warm version. I'm typically not cold, so the short-sleeved tshirt works fine for me. And I am going to make one with a front opening, too.

The drive in to Boston was long last night - an hour and 40 minutes. But the treatment time and return home were really quick. My DS made it home in record time...good thing there was some traffic - he couldn't drive 90 the whole way. I was holding on for dear life...LOL!

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle

rachael67 replied to mhall6252's response:
Ah-ha!! Despite what I wrote earlier about not being able to read what was on it, I remembered the "contl ~ " combo and was able to increase the size of the picture to see all the ads! Good for you!! Just like on a race car!!!!!!

Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly!
Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

brcansur replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle,
I have the perfect shirt for this it is a long sweatshirt I could make it to have the opening in the front with pretty pink ribbons to tie it plus I was thinking about sewing a nice ribbon along the edges where I cut it opened just to pretty up a little more or even a nice off white lace make it feel like going to the spa instead of the doctors office. See what you have started lol. I love to sew and quilt so you have really got my mind going on this one. I may even be making a few to give to a few ladies I have meet at the group I go to that are just starting their treatments like you. It would be perfect and may cheer them up some. I will just have to find a way to get some information from them without them guessing what I am up to. Like what colors they like, if they get cold easy or are hot all the time. So I know what color to make and if I sound do a t shirt or sweat shirt for them. I am getting the bug to make these shirt now and to do a good dead and give some to others that is a great feeling. You have me sitting here with a big smile on my face just thinking about it. I would make theirs first then one for myself. Great christmas gifts for them and I just meet them a few months ago.It is strange how when you meet others like you with breast cancer it feels like you have known them forever. Michelle thank you again for the great idea and getting my sewing bug going again. I haven't felt like doing much the past few weeks and you gave me that push I needed thank you so very much!
Sorry to hear you had such a long ride in to Boston last night boy makes for a long day. But so glad it wasn't bad once you got there and on your way home. You made me laugh when you said you were holding on for dear life lol thank god for traffic some times all we can do is pray to god he puts cars in front of us and beside us when we need it most I have said that prayer many a times lol.lol. Sending my prayers again tonight for a safe trip good weather good travel time there and back have a great weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

brcansur replied to rachael67's response:
Rachael,
How do you make the picture bigger? I have had trouble at times reading the post because my eyes get really blurry some days if I could make the print bigger on those days it would be a big help. Plus like you said some of the pictures other post would be nice to enlarge to see them better. Have a great day and weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

GGrandmaJan replied to brcansur's response:
Oh Roberta, I am not Rachael but she told me how to make the print on the boards bigger. On the Lett side of your 'puter is a key marked CTRL---you hold that down and on the Right side you should see a plus and minus. Hold both the control key and the plus sign---you should get the print to enlarge. Try that one. It is a huge help. As for the pics I don't know about that one.

Let me know if this works for you. It works wonders for me.
Jan

judyfams replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Roberta,
On my computer there is a # with a % sign in the lower right hand corner of my computer screen. If you click on that number you can raise it above 100% and the print will get larger.

Michelle,
I think the radiation shirt is truly a Steve Jobs stroke of genius! Good for you - I can't sew - only needlepoint, knit and crochet, so I had to wear the paper gowns - which didn't hide that much! During rads I was topless more than I was covered - felt like a playboy pin-up without being in the magazine. if Hef had used me in his magazine he would have gone bankrupt ten times over!!!!!!
Judy

rachael67 replied to brcansur's response:
Hold down the CTRL button on the bottom left just below SHIFT...At the same time click on the " " (above ....Each time to click on the " " the size will increase...If you want it smaller, click on the "-" just on the left of the plus sign. You can adjust the size of the picture/print by using these buttons.

Let me know if this works.

Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly!
Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

brcansur replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Jan,
This worked great thank you now I can see it all without having to get my reading glasses out on bad days or my eyes hurting and watering like crazy. That was so easy and even I can do it in one try wow lol.lol.
I am not so good at learning new things on this darned thing. I am still having a very hard time getting a picture on here all of my pictures are on my hard drive so it wont let me post them on here so I am trying to figure out a way to get a picture on here of the kitchen floor before and after laying down the new wood floor tiles. Then I wanted to have a picture of my dog instaed of that blue blob of a head like some of you other ladies. I will figure it out if it takes forever lol.lol. I am one thickheaded women I keep trying till I get it once I start something lol.lol.
Thank you for your help on inlarging the writing it is a big help. Have a great day and weekend hope you get into your sewing room I plan on it here very soon. Angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

brcansur replied to judyfams's response:
Judy,
Thank you for your help I did get it to work and boy does it help to be able to read the writing one days my eye are acting up.
That is so funny about your gown and the playboy comment boy if all of us could have been in their we would be rich. That would be a good book of the month he should have one month like oct with all breast cancer survivors in it. Women that have been there done that and are proud of where they are at now be in that months book then have all that money 100% go to breast cancer research. You might have hit on something there a breast cancer playboy centerfold mastectomy and bald is beaitful! I like that idea I can see it now. I don't think it would go bankrupt not if Hef put it out there the right way plus it is Hef his stuff always sells. Anyway you got me laughing on that one but Michelle does have a great thing going with those gowns she is making. At least you will be covered if you make it out of one of your own shirts. Have a great day and weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

brcansur replied to rachael67's response:
Rachael,
I did use the ctrl and the key and it works like a charm thank you so much for your help again. Boy I thought they said it gets better as you get older lol. My eyes are getting to were I need my reading glasses more and more now.Plus I have that nasty dry eye from chemo that doesn't help. But being able to make the writing bigger is a big help thanks again for helping these tired eyes. Have a great day and weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

GGrandmaJan replied to mhall6252's response:
Way to go Michele, Awesome idea!!!!!

Good Grief, you just reminded me of my patient gowns I use to make for the clinic I worked for. I have about 3 or 4 left made out of flannel. Now---WHY didn't I think of using them when I did rads? DUH----DUH. (The ones they had for us to use were cotton but either way to darn Big or too Little.) And I was always freezing.

The ones I made weren't made from a T-shirt tho--- but I took a pattern off of one of the old gowns. I must have made dozens for the clinic until my Dr moved out of state. Now the Dr's office don't have their own washer and dryers so didn't need them. But I sure could have used them---What the heck was I NOT thinking!?!?!?! I am going to have to dig them (yes you read right---DIG) out of my sewing room and take one with me to my next Dr's appts. Great idea. Thanks for the reminder.

Geez, it would be so easy to make them out of fleece also. Ideas are endless. You do come up with the greatest of ideas.

Many thanks.
Fondly
Jan

laramin responded:
Hi michelle,
Im starting rad next week and would like to ask how it was for you. I am about to start working because I was told that it wouldnt be too bad compared to chemo. I just had surgery last month and I am still tired and fatigued. I am afraid the rad will make it worst. I did ask Onc Dr why I am more tired now than when I was on chemo, he said bec I had steroids during chemo.

mhall6252 replied to laramin's response:
Hi laramin,

I have finished 11 of 30 rads and so far, so good. I ran around all day yesterday (took my mom for a haircut and lunch then shopped for myself) then we drove to Boston for my treatment. My skin is doing well, so far, and I am not noticing any unusual fatigue. I had fatigue during chemo but it was gone within a couple of weeks. My steroid dose was extremely low (6 mg on treatment day only) so I didn't suffer any of the steroids side effects.

So far I think rads is easier than chemo if you don't count the crazy drive we have to Boston every day. And even that hasn't been horrible so far.

Just listen to your body and rest when you need it. Also, start moisturizing now. I am using Moisturel, many people like Aquaphor, aloe, or almost any other unscented moisturizer will work.

Good luck!
Michelle
Michelle

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center