Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    What is going on with me
    trenee03 posted:
    I started out with a cysts in my left breast the size of an orange slice a year ago and it tested to be ok, now the past 6 months I have been back and forth to my Dr and a breast specialist. I have had mammograms and ultrasounds done. neither dr liked what was found and I continue to have breast pain and a wierd greenish, brown milky discharge in that breast. have been on 3 different antibiotics and it does not help with any symptoms. now they want me to have and MRI but my insurance tells me no it is not approved and experimental. My Drs only tell me I have several cysts in one milk gland and the others are all enlarged for some odd reason. but other than that no other answers. What could it be and what should I do. I have Breast cancer and other cancers on both sides of my family and I am very worried.
    judyfams responded:
    I am sorry that you are going through all of this. I have a few questions from reading your post.
    If you are under 40 yrs. of age then most ins. co. will not pay for an MRI. So your age may be a factor in the denial from the ins. co.
    Why haven't the doctors performed an ultrasound guided biopsy on the "cysts" to see if they really are cysts and can be drained possibly relieving the pain?
    If you have a first degree relative who had breast cancer, then you are in a higher risk category - that being said it should make it more necessary for the ins. co. to pay for your MRI. Have you told your doctors that there is breast cancer in your family? Have you asked the doctors to call the ins. co. and try to get them to pay for the MRI. Sometimes pressure from doctors - or a different diagnosis from the doctor will have the ins. co. pay for it.
    If these doctors will not help you to get an MRI, then you should get second opinions.
    Make sure you get copies of all the written reports and copies of your mammos and go to doctors who are not affiliated with the doctors you have already gone to.
    It seems to me that more can and should be done to find out what is going on with your breast - don't give up!
    Do whatever you need to to get to the bottom of this!
    Please let us know what happens, we are all concerned for you!
    Much good luck.
    sadblossom responded:
    Hello, so sorry you are having these problems and getting no relief.
    I agree with Judy, get a second opinion. I always say if we encounter a brick wall knock it down or go around. It does not sound as if you are getting any answers and not much help the way things are, so change them. I assume your insurance will pay for second opinions.Try your best. You should not have to go thru this turmoil.
    I wish you the best and please come back and let us know how you are,
    mhall6252 responded:
    I just want to add that you should look for a breast care center in your area. They are likely to be more aggressive in diagnosing and treating whatever the problem may be. And with your family history, it's a good idea to develop a long-term relationship with a breast specialist.

    Good luck - I hope you get answers and peace of mind very soon.

    Read my blog at
    Smile and the world smiles with you!
    Rachael67 responded:
    Add my voice to those suggesting you seek another opinion from a breast care center.

    You are in our thoughts. Keep us posted on how you are doing, and what you learn.

    Always listen for what is silent and see what is invisible...That's where miracles hide, and it can make all the difference!
    bcdevil replied to Rachael67's response:
    I'm so sorry you are dealing with all this, and for so long!! My suggestion is to fight your ins. co. You are possibly genetically predisposed to b.c.! Tell them they are being irresponsible and negligent with your life, and you are notifying an attorney. That will make em squirm! Good luck sweetie and kep us updated! Fight for what is right! You deserve good quality care, and not all this worrying and time passing!!
    Good luck
    trenee03 responded:
    Both Drs know my grandmother passed of breast cancer and they know that cancer in general runs on both sides of my family, I am 38 and I did find out the Ins denied because someone dropped the ball and did not get a pier to peir done. I have since posting this found out I may possibly have an ovarian cyst which I have a history of, I was 20 and had one so large they removed my entire right ovary and 2/3 of my left, I luckily had 3 healthy kids and also got preg while on the pill with all 3 and the 1 I lost. I am unsure of the next step as far as my breast goes I am waiting to hear fromt he breast specialist and the VA breast center. My reg Dr is the only one being proactive in this but he is not telling me everything. He tells me possible cyst in a milk duct then my insurance says they were told it was a dark mass in my Mammo and ultrasound. I am nervous and scared and noone to talk to about it.
    judyfams replied to trenee03's response:
    I am hoping that the breast surgeon at the VA is a new doctor. In the meantime YOU should request copies of all reports , tests and scans that you have already had done. you need to always get copies of everything your doctors get, not only from the paat but from here on out!
    Maybe your reg. Dr. is telling you everything - but had to give the ins. co. a different diagnosis (mass in mammo and US) so that they would pay for the ultrasound. You can call you doc and ask him why the discrepency - cyst in milk duct to mass from US & mammo.
    At this point you can call another facility (beside the VA) and try to get an appointment wth their breast specialist and then either keep both appointmentas or go to one who comes through first and if you are pleased with that plan of action - you don't have to see the other doctor.
    I also hope that you are contacting breast centers - not breast surgeons - as you need to be seen by people who have expertise in the field of diseases of the breast.
    You can always come here to talk to us - you are not alone as far as we are concerned. We all care that you get a diagnosis and finally have some peace of mind - so keep letting us know what happens with you.
    trenee03 responded:
    THe Drs are saying I have several cyst in a milk duct and they wanted more testing to determine if they are just cyst or a mass. before they going and remove the milk duct.
    Jenna291 replied to trenee03's response:
    Are your tests scheduled and what kind of tests are you having? Assuming some type of biopsy. The sooner the better so you know what you are dealing with.
    Please let us know what is going on and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    all the best ~ Jenna

    Helpful Tips

    What Is The Pink Bus???
    One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    60 of 76 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center