Skip to content
Update on DIEP Flap proceedure
JLAMB26 posted:
I had Deip flap reconstruction done on December 19th! It was a pretty major surgery but I'm up and back to my old self already. I was in the hospital for 5 days and back home the day before Christmas and back at work on the 3rd. Fortunately, I had enough extra tummy to recontruct I'm so happy with the results. I was afraid that it would never look "normal" again but I'm telling you, I have the left breast of a 20 year old and a flat tummy again. The nurses at the hospital kept saying that it was the best results they had ever seen which really made me feel great. After the swelling goes down, I'll get a nipple and maybe a lift on the other side so I match. I booked a March trip to Punta Cana with some girlfriends (one of which finished her BC treatment one month before me) to celebrate. I look forward to wearing a swimsuit again! What a great Christmas present don't you think? Happy New Year to everyone!
Jennifer

brcansur responded:
Jennifer,
Hello and congrats on your surgery and recovery. I am so happy for you that all is over and went so well for you. I am also happy for you that you are going on a trip with your friends and will be able to wear a swim suit again that is a big one for us women. Great !!! Yes it is a very good christmas gift and a great way to celebrate for sure have a great trip and a safe one at that. Make sure to have some fun for all of us here on the board. It is a very nice way to bring in the new year with a new breast and nice flat new tummy!! Sounds like you are very happy about it all and very positive about the outcome That is all that matters is that you are happy and comfortable with the results. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

mhall6252 responded:
Jennifer - I am so happy that your surgery was a huge success. I will be having DIEP later this summer so I am most interested in everyone's experiences. It sounds like you did really, really well. I'm very impressed that you were back to work so quickly, as I have been told the recuperation time is at least six weeks.

Mine will be double DIEP and right now my goal is to maintain my weight or gain just a little bit to give the doctor more to work with. I will be seeing the vascular surgeon in March and we'll set a date at that time.

Punta Cana sounds heavenly, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and look fabulous, too!

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

rachael67 responded:
Congratulations, Jennifer!! How exciting! Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year..Looks like 2012 is your year to be sure!!

Enjoy!
Rachael
Always listen for what is silent and see what is invisible...That's where miracles hide, and it can make all the difference!

kiwiallright responded:
Jennifer

I am amazed at your fast recovery I was off six weeks, mind you I did do the double DIEP procedure, I was out for 13 hours. The problem I had was I had been radiated on my right side two times, making it harder for the DR to find a viable blood supply. I am also very happy with the outcome. When awoke and saw cleavage I was one happy camper. I have decided not to have any nipples added or whatever as a friend told me that it was somewhat painful and I figured it was okay without any.

Gaining weight I was told is not advisable as the fat probably won't have time to accumulate in the abdomen area. I could not have a implant on my right side because of the amount of skin that was not available. I am glad that I went with this procedure as I have read many stories about problems with implants and expander's etc. I am happy for you that all has worked out.

If there is anyone out there interested in having this procedure done, after my experience i would strongly advise any of you to look into it. Now that I have lost weight, the stomach is really flat now, now I just need to watch what I put in my mouth so that the weight does not come back on.

Love to all

Mary

mhall6252 replied to kiwiallright's response:
Mary - have you thought about 3D nipple tattoos? I've seen some pictures and they look really good. I'm pretty sure that's what I will do when the time comes. That way I can go without a bra if I so desire. Interesting thing about the nipples, we spend half our lives "hiding" those headlights!
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

brcansur replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle,
I so agree with you about the nipples we hide them all our life up untill our mast and now we are thinking about them again. Do we get them or not? I say NO WAY! I do not want to have them sticking out all the time and have to wear a bra to hide them so I am getting them tattooed on when I have healed enough from this last surgery. I have decided that a long time ago but as you know have had to have some surgeries so have to keep putting it off. But that is what I am going to do I have seen the pictures also and couldn't tell what one was a real nipple and what one was the tattoo. That is how reall the tattooed ones looked. I think having them done will help make the breast look more real and even to me because right now they look a little off without them. So that is one of the things I am planning for 2012. I am also thinking about having the same women that does the nipples in medical field do my eyebrows. Because it has been almost 4 years ( next month ) and they still have not come in just a few hairs here and there.
Good luck with your surgery and nipples it is amazing how much different it makes you feel after you see yourself in the mirror again with breast. Have a great day and weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

kiwiallright replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle,

I go without a bra most of the time. I do have to mention a funny story, the day I was told that the cancer was back in 2009, I had already booked a flight back to NZ to see my Dad, I was going regardless. So I am on the plane and most times I take my bra off before getting on the plane. (It is a 12 hr flight) So here I am trying to take my bra off and these two ladies where just looking at me like, "I cannot believe you are doing that" if I would have responded to them verbally I would have said," Ladies I really don't care, as in about a month from now, one of my girls will be gone" My days are out at the nude beach, to many scares, hate to scare off any of the nudists. The nipples, thank you for the suggestion but I am not really worried about them. I would rather have the skin removed or tightened around my eyelids and the dark circles removed fixed or whatever they do to get rid of them.

Good luck with your surgery, do not forget to post the closer you get to the big day We will all be cheering for you.

Love to all

Mary

Mary

brcansur replied to kiwiallright's response:
Mary,
I love your story I wish I could have been there to see the look on there faces.That reminded me of back a few years like when my son was a baby and I just got out of work and the family was going on a trip. My hubby and son picked me up right from work I was in work clothes and wanted to change so bad. My hubby had a pair of jeans a sweatshirt for me on back seat. He said he was going to stop at the first rest stop for me. I am like no that is ok it isn't busy on thruway and no cars around I will just do a fast change in the car. Well I am taking my arms out of my shirt and putting the sweatshirt over my head no problems got the shirt done. Then I start to put my jeans on under my skirt well this is harder then I think and all of a sudden there is a rig next to us and he is blasting his horn and looking right in the window at me with my jeans half way up my legs and my skirt around my waist boy was my face red at least I had pantyhose on. My Dear old hubby waves and honks the horn right back at him. I was so mad and didn't talk to him for hours and my face was red for a while from what he tells me. He told that story for years. He tells everyone the trucker must have thought he got lucky!! Not and not for a long time either !!! I didn't change in the car ever again after that either even though I had done for years before without any trouble. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

rachael67 replied to brcansur's response:
Roberta, your situation rememinded me greatly of something my dear mother pulled on my Dad years and years ago. She had been visiting my grandmother who had purchased some panties which did not fit her....They were much too large for any of the women in the family, and Mom was going to return them for her.

She stuffed them into the glove compartment until she had the chance to get to the store. Meanwhile she went to pick up my Dad from work. As usual, she would scoot over to the passenger seat, and Dad would get in to drive. Well, Mom was never one to not have the mind working overtime. On the drive home she remembered what she'd placed in the glove compartment, and under the guise of looking for some matches, she opened it and pulled out this very large pair of white, silky undies....She looked shocked at them, and then waving them at Dad who was trying his best to keep his eyes on the road, she accused: "And just where did these come from???!!!"

Now poor Pop, not having the slightest idea of how women's underpants might have gotten there, just about lost control of the car! He tried valiantly to form words, but only stutters came out of his mouth as he stared at the pants, and back to the road, and then at Mom's glaring face, and stuttered some more!! "I - I -- I..."

Well, Mom wasn't quite as unfeeling as this story might indicate. She soon started laughing, and told him the whole story...And tho' it became one of the wonderful, crazy tales of my folks that has lasted down thru the years, I can only imagine my poor father's state at the time!

They were wonderful and wacky and very unique people whom I miss beyond words, but who remain beside me always!!

Rachael
Always listen for what is silent and see what is invisible...That's where miracles hide, and it can make all the difference!

brcansur replied to rachael67's response:
Rachael,
LOL>LOL> tears running down my face that is so funny ribs hurt from laughing so hard. I do wish I could have known your mother and father sounds like a bunch of fun with them. I would have loved to be in your house at any given time my goddness it sounds like a great time growing up never knowing what to expect from your mom and your poor dad lol.lol. I could just about see his face on that one she was a ball buster for sure love it. You never had a boring time in your house growing up from the sounds of it. You also have a lot of stories to tell your children and your grandchildren and keep passing them down the line. I love stories like that those are what keeps a family history going the love and stories that keep being told for years to come. I love how you keep your parents alive by sharing stories with us on the board plus I love hearing stories like this from others. History and family have always been something I have loved weather it is mine or someone elses family history it is alway very interesting to me.
Thank you so much for sharing your little family stories with me and all the ladies. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Helpful Tips

Candle Lighting Site
I located the Candle site!! It was apparently removed by WebMD but we can still access it and make use of it for each of us and for all our ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center