Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Collar Bone / Shoulder aches
debk5775 posted:
Has anyone who has gone through radiation for breast cancer experienced any pain or aches in the collar bone area. I have been having these aches since about half way through the radiation treatments. I have completed the treatments and still have the aches. The radiologist didn't think it was from the treatments. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thank you.

rachael67 responded:
I did not have collar bone aches, but I sure have had rib aches...Something which somehow the rads doc neglected to mention as a possible side-effect. It was literally about a year later when I was having a check-up at the surgeon's that she mentioned it was very normal after rads!

Where we hurt might depend on where the rads are focused? Perhaps yours were aimed higher than mine? Worth asking other members of your team about!

Blessings.
Rachael
Always listen for what is in the silence and see what is invisible...That's where miracles hide, and it can make all the difference!

mhall6252 responded:
No collar bone aches, but definitely rib aches, and I still feel it a bit (I finished rads on 1/12). It's possible that if your supra-clavicle nodes were radiated, there could be some pain, assuming your radiation treatments are recent. Otherwise, if it has lasted a while, you might want to consult with your medical oncologist.

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

sadblossom responded:
Sorry I am late in responding.........I am sooooo far behind these days. But to answer your question.............YES. I have had collar bone pain, shoulder pain. rib pain back/front, spine pain. At times even pain in that side on my neck. I dought your radiologist has had radiation treatments so how could he/she possibly know. However.........it has got better but It does return from time to time. I am 2 years out and still feel it all from time to time.
I wish you well in your treatments and hope your pain eases and stays gone.
God Bless!
Pat~sadblossom

sadblossom replied to rachael67's response:
Rachael my rads were focused on the underneath part of my right breast. As low as it could go without being in my upper tummy and I still have the upper bone pain. My right shoulder even has a 'catch' in it from time to time. So mine did radiate upwards.
Hope this helps.\
Blessings......
Pat~sadblossom

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center