Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
latissimus flap reconstruction
An_244135 posted:

Hi all,
I need some advice and community support. I am preparing for the latissimus flap surgery and I wanted any feedback on this procedure. I am looking for an amazing doctor, currently I am with Kaiser. I have had two failed reconstruction surgeries. Has anyone heard of any good surgeons within the So. California Kaiser Facility. So far, I have not had great luck with their surgeons. Also, one doctor told me I am high risk due to being thin and having under went a low dose of radiation therapy. Personally, I am an advocate for my skin post radiation. It looks and feels good, although I do understand the obvious problems and concerns radiation can have regardless of the surface appearance. Please share your experiences with similar surgeries, recovery time, recommended surgeons and any advice that might help me on my journey. Besides my initial diagnosis, this has really jolted me.

Thanks in advance,

-J

bcdevil responded:
J
I'm very sorry and I didn't have that kind of reconstruction. I had the expander then silicone implants. However, I did want to wish you the best of luck! Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery!
Love, hugs and lucky shamrocks
Sandy

judyfams replied to bcdevil's response:
I would encourage you to post on Breastcancer.org too.
They have a reconstruction forum, and probably have one for latissimus reconstruction.
Good luck with your surgery and if you would like to see before and after potos of latissimus reconstruction check out the website breastreconstruction.org
Judy

An_244135 replied to bcdevil's response:
Thank you for your information and support. Can I ask if you went through radiation therapy and if you are happy with your result. -J

judyfams replied to An_244135's response:
I did not have a mastectomy. So I did have radiation since I had a lumpectomy, and chemo.
I am sorry that I cannot speak from personal experience about reconstruction, but just wanted to help you get to places that might be able to get some of your questions answered - hence the two websites I mentioned.
Much good luck and let us know what you find out.
Judy

mhall6252 replied to judyfams's response:
I second Judyfams' recommendation to check out breastcancer.org. There is discussion on every type of reconstruction and every type of circumstance. You will undoubtedly find women in your part of the country who can recommend doctors with whom they have had a successful experience. Furthermore, more than 100,000 women discuss their breast cancer journey, so it's really a valuable resource, as is this forum.

I had bilateral mastectomy last April and radiation that ended in mid-January. I plan to have DIEP reconstruction in August.

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

juice2012 replied to mhall6252's response:
good luck to you and me, then.
-J

laramin responded:
Hi J,
Ive had left breast mastectomy, chemo and radiation. My plastic surgeon had suggested the same recon for me because I can not do just the implants due to radiation and I cant do the stomach ones either due to lack of fat (i think i have enough although chemo and radiation did take my appetite away). So we are pretty much in the same boat. I am in southern Ca and my surgeon is really great but not affiliated with Kaiser - he is the south bay/torrance area. Its good that you are wanting to know more before going into the surgery. I would also like to suggest going to support groups and looking for people who had gone through the same. I have actually seen women who had both Diep and latissumus recon and it helped a lot to actually talk to them. I just now need to make up my mind and have the surgery scheduled.
I wish you (both of us) luck!

juice2012 replied to laramin's response:
Thank you for your support.

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center