Skip to content
Abnormal Mammogram
judyfams posted:
I had my regular 6 month mammo yesterday and they found "abnormalities" in the breast that was operated on and they want a biopsy done - so I am waiting to make that appointment.
From my research it seems that ladies who have had lumpectomies run a risk of having these abnormalities within the first five years after surgery (I am 2 years out), and that risk gets less the further away from surgery you are.
These "abnormalities" could be fat necrosis, scar tissue, calcifications, or a local recurrence of the original cancer or a new primary cancer. They show up on a mammogram, but they must be biopsied to find out exactly what they are. The statistics are that 85% of these "abnormalities" are benign - so I am hopng to be in that group!
I want to share this with you and to tell you that the waiting causes unbearable anxiety - as we all know! So until I get the results of the biopsy and decide what to do I will stay busy both mentally and physically so the time will pass.
I am glad I have done so much research BEFORE this bump in the road when my mind was clear - because I know what my options are and what I would chose to do- should this prove to be cancer again. I am thankful that if that were to happen, I had already made my decision - one made when I was calm and not in the throes of unbearable anxiety.
I am scared and anxious - but know I will have answers and will do whatever needs to be done to battle this disease.
I will keep all of you informed and am thankful that you are all here for me - I truly love the members of this website!
Judy
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mhall6252 responded:
Judy - sending positive thoughts that it's a big nothing!
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

bcdevil replied to mhall6252's response:
Judy,
I'm so sorry to hear this, but hoping at praying you are in the 85%. You are such a great healp to all of us with your wealth of knowledge, and I feel speechless in helping you! My thoughts and prayers are DEFINATELY with you, now and always! Sending you tons of lucky shamrocks! Keep us updated and think positive!
Love, hugs, and lucky shamrocks,
Sandy

maybembt replied to bcdevil's response:
Judy,
Sorry to hear your news. It is great that you are already armed with the knowledge. I am praying that you are in the 85%. Please keep us updated.
Blessings, Marybeth

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)

rachael67 responded:
CRAP!

I can only begin to imagine how frightening this must be.

Please know that we will all board Pinkie and be with you to the biopsy...We'll even bring loads of goodies and George Clooney if it will help take your mind off your concerns!

Yes! Being forearmed with knoweledge must ease a bit of the panic which accompanies such times. Having loads of support from this comunniy will help a little too.

Keep us updated. You remain in our thoughts!

Blessings and good report!
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

brcansur responded:
Judy,
I am so sorry to hear this news but am praying that all comes out good and that it is nothing to worry about. I am so happy that you are the kind of person that researches everything because that has you in the right state of mind. You know what you want to do and what your options are if this does turn out to be cancer again but we are all praying you are in that 85% that it isn't. I am sure you will keep yourself very busy mind body and soul till you know what is going on with you. Please know I am here for you if you need to talk or want a good laugh I am good at that making people laugh. Oh I have a lot of stories to tell that will get you laughing I am sure. Plus you have your pets to keep you busy and I am sure they make you smile and laugh also mine sure do I will be there on Pinkie also when ever your test come up and for any other appt to find out what is going on. I wish you all the best sending lots of angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

jenna291 responded:
Judy, I am so sorry to hear about this latest scare. It is great that you do so much research, both to help yourself and so many of us here. It is appreciated more than you know.
I hope you get the appointment for the biopsy soon. As you say, the waiting is unbearable.
I will be praying for you to get past this soon and start breathing clear again.
Will look for your update next week, and I do hope you can find something fun and relaxing to do to keep your mind busy this weekend.
Hugs, flowers, blessings & rainbows ~
Jenna

GGrandmaJan responded:
Geez!!!!

That is not the way to start your week-end. I am so sorry of this latest concern.

Am praying big-time this will turn out to be in the 85% of Nothing!!!

I can only imagine how scared and frightfull this is for you. You do so much for the rest of us with all your research and great info and it is so greatly appreciated. Just wanted to let you know. I know you are armed with knowledge but CRAP----this is so unfair to have you worried now.

Will light a candle for you. Am sending loads of good thoughts. Hope you can get that dang bio appt as soon as you want.

Fondly
Jan

judyfams replied to jenna291's response:
To all my wonderful friends - just a quick update.
My breast surgeon called and reassured me that the "abnormalities" are very normal when one has a lumpectomy - and "there is usually nothing to worry about" but they have to biopsy it to make sure. Nice to know us lumpectomy ladies can look forward to a "new abnormal" for the first 5 years after surgery!!!
My biopsy is scheduled for 4/17 - and the resulta will be in within 4 or 5 days after that.
So thank you all for your good wishes, and enjoy the weekend and I will update you when I know more.
Judy

rachael67 replied to judyfams's response:
I think I heard that sigh of relief coming from your direction!!

That has got to help reassure you until your appointment, right? And should make this weekend not nearly so looooong!

Geeze... a "new abnormal"??? We barely have accepted a new normal! Oh well! As long as you get good news on the 17th! (or a few days later!)

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

bcdevil replied to judyfams's response:
Judy,
It will be ok. Number 17 is my lucky number and I'm sending extra shamrocks for sure now! I'm glad your dr called to reassure you. That's awesome. And good info for other ladies to know what to expect after lumpectomy. Try to relax and enjoy the weekend!
Love, hugs and extra shamrocks
Sandy

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
My 3 year old daughter is standing behind me and asked why I said "CRAP" and if that is a bad word. I said it was a bad word and I was upset that one of my friends wasn't happy.

Of course, that started a tsunami of questions - I basically said you had to wait to hear from the doctor about a boo boo. She said that you should ask your doctor for a "slink" like she has. Photo below of her and her "slink" (sling) thanks to a trampoline. Warm (((hugs))) and sugar smacks from both of us!

Keeping mind and busy happy is a GREAT STRATEGY.

Shell1007 responded:
Judy,
Sending good thoughts & prayers your way.
Thank you for sharing that info with us. I am going for my 6mos Mamm on Monday & had no idea after lumpectomy that these abnormalities occur. I am 18 mos out, so just a bit behind you.
I also have decided what I will do if the BC shows up again. But you are the Lady that I know has lots of info if I need it.
Please do keep us updated.
((Hugs)) Shell

judyfams replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Oh Haylen - she is so adorable - just looking at her picture surrounded by those flowers can only make all who see it automatially feel better!
She is sooo beautiful - looks just like her mom !!!!
Tell her I took her advice and asked my doctor for a slink for my boo boo. Only problem is that I look like Dolly Parton on one side when I wear it! - Don't tell her that last part!!!!!!!!!!!
It reminds me that my daughter broke her arm when she was 3yrs. old and fell out of bed the first night we moved into our new house. Boy did she love the attention she got from wearing the cast! Now 40 yrs. later and she and her arm are fine and I'm still in the same house! However her son who is 10 yrs. old has broken his arm 3 times - so I think that breaking bones may be genetic - guess that will become my next field of research!
Thanks for the positive vibes and enjoy the weekend.
Much love to all,
Judy

brcansur replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hatlen,
Judy is so very right your daughter is just a ray of sunshine and those flowers in the background so very pretty. This pic did make may day and put a smile on my face thank you so muck for sharing and I should also ask my doctor for a "slink " for my bo bo too lol.lol maybe if mine was as cute as hers I would feel all better too!! One could only hope.
How could you not smile when looking at that cute little face
Have a great day and angel hugs to all of you Roberta,
Roberta

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center