Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OT: Emergency Room Experiences
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
I guess I watched too much of the TV show ER back in the 90s - patients were whisked away to see George Clooney in a heartbeat! (you are welcome for photo below)

I spent Saturday evening in the ER with my 7 year old - six stitches after a nasty scooter fall. We had to run home with a sweatshirt on her chin - I never knew there was so much blood in a chin.

I was surprised at the slow pace of the ER - we were only one of 3 families and everything seemed to move at glacial speed! The paperwork, the nurses walking slow. I was so glad my kid was calm and not in too much pain.

Have you had an ER experience? Did you feel that you got the best care? Did your doctor look like George

H

jenna291 responded:
Haylen,
I had my mom in a few months ago and I can DEFNITELY tell you the docs did not look like our George! Some were so young it was scary!

Mom turned out to have a nasty virus and was given fluids and some meds to stop vomiting, but this all took 7 hours in the ER! They do seem to move like turtles, especially when you are waiting for test results for an 82 year old woman.

Thanks for the pic - it made my dad for sure!!

~ Jenna

GGrandmaJan replied to jenna291's response:
Boy I can relate to the looooonnng wait in our stupid ER these days. My 92-yr old Mother (who lives in an amazing assisted living place) was having spells where she would not know who she was or where she was at. One day the spell lasted for over 20 minute so due to legal issues the RN on duty had to call the Amb. Then the RN called me. I rushed downtown to spend time with her in the ER.

1. The Dx the ER people put on her chart. WAS fatigue!!! NOT.

2. They only drew blood and UA.

3. No CT scans---NO Nothing.

4. We waited for over 7 1/2 hrs with her not getting any of her normal meds. and Nothing to eat. We finally ordered a stupid Cold Hamburger with NOTHING on it. Neither one of us could choke it down.

UGH---UGH---UGH for ER now days. NO compassion. NO service.

They would not let me call her Primary Dr. We just waited and waited and waited.

They had NO emergencies. NO Amb came in while we were there. Then I found out the hospitals now Lease Out there ER to a group of doctors. Therefore your own Dr can not see you in ER but you have to wait on there incompetent staff. This is the third time I have dealings with our ER dept. One of the nurses did give me a card of a supervisor to call if I had a issues with their staff. I have yet to call that person but am seriously thinking about it. I think the ER's now are abominable.

Please don't get me started on ER's around our country. I think we would all be better to try an Urgent Care Center if we have an emergency. Just my thought.

So sorry Haylen, for your daughter's and your experience. It is so unfail to let a little kid wait forever just to get stitches. UGH.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Jan

rachael67 responded:
I have to agree with Jenna...NO! The docs never look that fine! But they do often resemble Doogie Hauser the older I get!! (What ever happened to the law that doctors, priests and ball players are all supposed to be older than I ??????)

Yes, the ER is definitely not in the fast lane...Given what they do, I wouldn't want them to be the fast check-out either. I would, however, love to hear some input from anyone who has worked in the ER as to just what takes so much time...for those waiting!

Your expectations might have been quite different had House been on tv then! You'd be glad to get out in a month or so ...alive and intact!!!

Hope the little one is feeling better...Will she get lots of attention from her classmates when she relates the gorey details and shows off the stitches???

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

Shell1007 responded:
Boy Haylen, those girls are giving you a run for the money. The little one with her arm & now this? I thought girls were supposed to be dainty LOL. Going to an ER sucks. They told my husband the only way you get in right away is if you come in by aid car Hope both of your girlies are feeling good now, but have you recovered?
Have a good day
Shell

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Shell1007's response:
Got a call from the school 45 minutes after I dropped her off that she had a stomach ache and wanted to come home - I told her to have a snack and get back in class!

Oh the drama of girls...

Sounds like ER experiences are rarely rapid or effective....let's hope this was my last trip and that no one here has to go again! Unless, of course, the doctors do actually look like George

bcdevil replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen,
So sorry about your daughter. Sorry, but as they age the drama gets outrageous! Trust me I have 3 girls, Now 25, 21, and 20 and it's finally getting better, but WOW it sure tests your patience for sure!
I guess if I had George at the ER I might frequent there more often. ER is a long nasty process here, we usually go to a urgent care place instead if it's not life threatening. Plus, our co-pay got raised dramatically for ER services thanks to NOBAMA care!
Love, hugs, and lucky shamrocks
Sandy

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center