Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Question--Causes of Severe Muscle Cramps?
GGrandmaJan posted:
Hi All,

O.K. I am having sympathy pains for all of you suffering thru back issues. Only my cramps are more like "Charlie Horses" in my legs and ribs. UGH. Went to stretch in bed this AM and the first one hit my Rt leg---In front from the top of the femur to my knee. I could hardly walk until after an hour when the stupid thing finally stopped. I tried stretching the leg out and leaned against the counter but to no avail. the last few weeks I have been getting severe cramps in my ribs both on the Rt and Lt side.

Last time several months ago when I was hit with these dang things I realized I wasn't taking my calicum like I should. But this time I have faithfully been taking calicum, Vit D, and a multi-vitamin. All I did yesterday was outside doing some weed-eating with an light-wt electric weeed-eater. It can't weigh more than 5 pounds.

Any of you have any ideas???? My blood-work is all within normal ranges---I think!! It has been 8 months tho.

I do believe it is just sympathy for all the rest of you. BUT---dang it these things hurt like crazy. Absolutly takes your breath away. UGH.

Hope all have having a sunny day.

Sending prayers and happy thoughts to all of you.
Jan
FirstPrevious12NextLast

rachael67 responded:
Holy Crap!!!! You caught it from ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember my writing to you about my cramps in my legs, feet, back, sides?????

Did tons of research as to causes. Some listed were dehydration. Low potassium. Low magnesium. Reactions to different meds (I think this is my culprit??? Still not sure tho.) Exercise. Repetitive motions.

I am trying to mentally go thru the list...Will repost as I recall!

Suggestions for help: (First have a blood test to determine the levels of above. If you are low, ask doc for either rx or over the counter or foods that will help.) Others: Vit B Good stretching before exercising. Massage areas when cramps hit. Heat.

Gosh, Jan, I will have to review what I found as I am really coming up with blanks just now. But know I appreciate exactly what you are saying. And it isn't just at night, right??? These can strike with a vengence anytime!!

Hope others will chime in with ideas for both of us!! Take care, Friend!

Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

judyfams replied to rachael67's response:
Jan,
That sucks big time! Rachael has hit the nail on the head - muscle cramps (if that is what you have) are usually the result of low magnesium.
Most Americans have low magnesium since you cannot get it from the diet and most supplements that go through the digestive system estroys the magnesium.
The best way to get magnesium into the body is through epsom salts. Soak in a bath with 2-4 cups of epsom salts for 30-45 minutes. Do that a few times a week and that should help if there is a magnesium shortage.
Good luck - are we all having fun yet???????/
Judy

rachael67 replied to judyfams's response:
Hey, Judy, is that true about getting the magnesium through the skin that way??? I was told by doc to take supplements. However, it did a real number on my digestive system and I spent a little more time than I'd choose ...busy in the bathroom! (A problem I have dealt with since I was seven and had 4 feet of intestines removed so I certainly didn't need any more help!!) As my magnesium numbers were only on the fringe of low and I had that side effect, I opted to skip that "cure"...

Rachael
Maya Angelou

GGrandmaJan replied to rachael67's response:
Oh My Gosh, Rachael. I did not remember you had these dang things also. Crap!!!

When I was doing chemo last summer the dang things started but I just couldn't get my "horse-size" calicum pills down. But I was eating tons of yogurt as that kept the nausea at bay. Then I was done with chemo and could kept the pills down. Yep, I haven't been eating my yogurt.. A-HA!!!! Probably low on potassium and calicum. Well Go Figure!!!

As I was driving home (on our little country road) from working at at my shop today---a cramp hit in my mid-section so bad I had to pull off in someone's driveway. Geez, took my breath away. Stupid things as they hit without any warning. Pretty scary if out on the Free-way.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hope your mind settles down and you can remember the other stuff too. LOL

Jan

Rachael and Judy,

My OLD onc Dr wanted to put me on Quinine. Yes, I opted out of that one also.

So Judy what food has lots of magnesium in it??? There has to be something. Like bananas for Potussiam. Right??/

Jan

rachael67 replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
One other thing that seems to accompany this issue: Have you had tingling in your feet or legs? I have and it seemed to start about the same time that the cramps began.

Rachael
Maya Angelou

rachael67 replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
From what I read there isn't enough in any foods to supply what is missing when it is low. Supplements which can be bought in health stores, etc. needed. (Maybe not recalling right...Judy, check me on this!)

Yes, I came across quinine discussions, but most ruled the side effects pretty bad and not worth the use.

Rachael
Maya Angelou

O.K. Rachael. I googled magiesum.

POPEYE----Spinach!!! LOL. 1 cup of spinach ==157 mg
Bro
Halibut--1/2 fillet ====170 mg
Pumpkins and Squash seeds
Peas
Nuts
Unrefined grains---no whilte flour.

So come on garden start growing!!! I got Bro, cauliflower Spinach and Swiss chard trying to grow.

Thanks Rachael for passing on your cramps to me. I really could do without them.

Shoot---I do NOT want to take another dang pill. LOL.

Hope this info helps.
Jan

Yes, Rahael, Tingling in feet and Toes Cramp big time. But I thought it was from the chemo. Go Figure!!! Guess not.

I thought Judy was going to say TAKE Epsom salts and I was going to say NO WAY!!! Didn't think about soaking in it. Probably would come out of that bath really dried up like a prune. LOL. My skin has got so saggy as it is. LOL.

Jan

judyfams replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Rachael and Jan,
We cannot get enough magnesium into our bodies from food and supplements. While there is Magnesium in foods, it's not enough to keep our body well supplied. Epsom salt is really magnesium sulfate - it is not "salt" like you put on your food. It is called a salt because the compound magnesium sulfate falls into a gorup of compounds classified as "salts". Most compounds are either classified as acids, bases or salts.
Years ago when I had severe muscle cramps in my calves and thighs my doctor prescribed quuinine which was then taken off the market due to the side effects. My doctor then told me to drink tonic water since that has quinine in it. It tasted awful and who wants to drink liquids before bed!
If you google epsom salt and/or epsom salt baths you will see all the benefits it has for the body. Jan, there are peple who also drink it - but remember that Ghandi drank hismorning urine everyday -so there are crazy people out there. We are not counted in their numbers so us guys can just take an epsom salt bath!
So enjoy a good soak in the bath!
Judy

bcdevil replied to judyfams's response:
Ladies,
I've always heard leg cramps were due to potassium and you should eat bananas to add potassium. I could be wrong, but it's worth a shot. At least it's healthy. When you suffer, you will try anything! I get that!
Love, hugs, and lucky shamrocks
Sandy

Shell1007 responded:
Jan,
My DH was getting horrible muscle cramps & I mentioned this to my Rad Onco nurse. She said to get MagOx its a concentrated form of magnesium. I got some at walgreens. Since he has been taking it, I don't think he has had any cramping episodes. Hey, its worth a shot, huh. You can check it out at MagOx.com
Take Care,
Shell

jenna291 replied to Shell1007's response:
Hello all,
Well I will tell you I suffered horribly with leg cramps and neuropathy thru the taxol part of my chemo. The cramping in my calves and numbness in my toes last for months and months. Went away for a long time, now occasionally I get the toe cramping. It could be from the Arimidex.

I too was told bananas, orange juice, lots of potassium. Sometimes it just doesn't matter. I try and stay hydrated.

We constantly have to think about what we eat and drink. I am finding it exhausing at times!!!

Oh Judy, Ghandi drank his urine? Sick!!! I once knew a woman who put infant urine on her face because it was supposed to be good for her skin. I will tell you, she was super wrinkly, so not sure where she got her info!

Have a great day ~
Jenna

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I"m a little late to this discussion but here is a resource that has some suggestions and exercises to ease leg cramps:

Leg Cramp: Causes, Treatment & How to Avoid

I hope you've found relief and they don't come back!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center