Skip to content
Abnormal mammogram - Update
judyfams posted:
Just returned from the surgeon's office and found that the calcifications are benign!!!!!!!!
Did some research and confirmed some things with my surgeon today, that I would like to pass on.
About 10-20% of lumpectomy ladies could have a chance of having these abnormalities show up on a mammogram during the 5 years post surgery.
These abnormalities can come about after the breast is irrradiated. They are usually microcalcifications and 85% are benign. They may happen again since I am only 2 years post lumpectomy. I did not ask him if the same thing can occur to women who had internal radiation also known as brachytherapy or even if they had IORT - intraoperative radio therapy.
So those of you who have had that type of radiation can speak to your doctors.
So I am much relieved at this point and will hope for the best with my next mammo in 6 months.
Thank you all for your support, encouragement and prayers - that really did the trick!!!!!!!!!!
Judy

mark918 responded:
Glad to hear your news is good!! Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
A big ole "WHEW" and a happy dance!

Thank you for sharing the extra info too - good to hear the percentage that are benign. That should ease some fears of those waiting on results!

Haylen

rachael67 responded:
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How wonderful! We're all joining in the happy dance just for and with you!! Celebrate big time!

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

bcdevil replied to rachael67's response:
Awesome! We are all doing the happy dance! This is just super amazing!
Love, hugs, and lucky shamrocks,
Sandy

jenna291 replied to bcdevil's response:
Judy,
That is wonderful news and I am joinng in the dancing! Such a relief!!!
I hope you do something fun for yourself!

xo
Jenna

brcansur responded:
Judy,
That is great news and the extra info is good to have here for anyone else that is waiting for results like yourself. Now we are all doing the happy dance with and for you !!! Hope you are celebrating some how over this news treat yourself to something specail ! I am sending a big colorful bunch of flowers with balloons in every color you can think of so big it just fits through your door. Plus lot of angel hugs just for you have a great day Roberta,
Roberta

maybembt responded:
Great new Judy and great information to pass on to others.
Blessings, Marybeth

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)

GGrandmaJan responded:
Way to Go!!! Judy, that is such awesome news. I am so happy for you. Take a deep breath and have some relaxing time now.

Many thanks for the info which is so helpful to many of us. Your research is the best on this site.

I can imagine how relieved you are. The waiting game is no fun and I am glad you found out without having to wait toooo long.

Fondly
Jan

mhall6252 responded:
Woohoo, Judy! I checked back here several times in the past few days to see if you had posted your results. But of course, I missed this yesterday. I am so happy for you!

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

Shell1007 responded:
Judy,
Congrats on your great news !!
Thank you so much for the information also. This was something I had no idea about until you wrote about it.
I hope you are going to do something fun to celebrate
Take care,
Shell

Helpful Tips

Candle Lighting Site
I located the Candle site!! It was apparently removed by WebMD but we can still access it and make use of it for each of us and for all our ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center