Skip to content
Side effects of a bone scan
supergrangran posted:
I went yesterday to get a bone scan. This will be my third in over 7yrs since I was first dx with breast cancer. It is 6am here in sunny Scotland and I am sitting up drinking ice cold juice because of a burning sensation in the soft tissue of my gullet and slightly wheezing from my lungs, in short feeling a bit sorry for myself but not too surprised as I have never had a bone scan that didn't have some kind of nasty side effects, I have also consumed half a tub of Carte D'or rum n raisin ice cream in an attempt to ward of this burning in my gullet since yesterday, (a task you will understand of no hardship what so ever!) and it has not worked.

But here is the thing! the lady who did the scan took three attempts to get a vein that would take the radioactive gunk they use for this. At this point I am trying hard not to imagine the liquid missing my vein completely and forming a huge blister and making my arm drop off!

Before this I notice the signs up in the waiting room saying that it is to be patients only to avoid/reduce the risk of contamination. There is also a sign in the bathroom saying please sit down to use the toilet as this will avoid contamination and if contamination should occur please inform a member of staff!

And here is the punch line! I asked the lady is there any side effects and is there any do's/dont's I should know about. Her response was 'no this is absolutely harmless with no side effects what so ever' CLASS! AN ABSOLUTE CLASS ACT! I was very good in fact I am so proud of myself as I managed just to smile and think to myself 'go and fix your lipstick honey'

And now as they say in Scotland 'back to old clothes and porridge!' otherwise known as reality! I have burning in what feels like the length of my gullet, I am wheezing and I feel sick. I did some research on the computer and it says this is an allergic reaction to the radioactive liquid so I don't think I will run to the Doc yet, I plan to wait and see how my day pans out.

I have a mammogram this afternoon and then two weeks to wait to see if the cancer has come back although at this point the money is on radiotherapy damage to my ribs and breast.

Thinking of you all and sending happy thoughts and hugs

Christine xxx

judyfams responded:
Christine,
Welcome to this site of wonderful caring, compassionate people.
Needless to say we are all hoping and praying that your scan does not show anything. Please let us know when you find out.
Now to the funny part of your story - it is nice to know that the substance they inject into the body is harmless which is why nobody else is allowed in the waiting room and you have to monitor your bathroom activities - how come they still allow you to exhale? Aren't there contaminents in your expelled air that could kill others - and I'm not referring to "bad breath".
Thank you for starting my day off with a smile!
Good luck,
Judy

rachael67 responded:
Christine, I know you had a mammogram this afternoon. If no one there gives you any idea of how to deal with this reaction and if you should be concerned, please call your doctor and get his input!! This is not some little basic reaction as far as I can see. Make sure someone is apprised of what happened!!

Let us know how you are doing. Okay?

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

supergrangran replied to rachael67's response:
Hi Rachael

I have decided to wait for 4 or 5 days to see if things settle as this happened to me before and I had to get the Doc out to my house. He told me I had radiation sickness and it looks like its happening again.

First there is a burning sensation in the soft tissue of my gullet and I took plenty of ice cream and ice drinks which has helped the burning a little (I think). Then what follows around the 24 hour marker is wheezing/breathing problems then a little while after that comes the overwhelming nausea which makes morning sickness feel like a walk in the park!

I am and have been lying down for the last 2 days as I feel unwell but I do expect this to pass hopefully by Monday. I wont tell a lie I am feeling sorry for myself and contemplating refusing another scan if I ever need one.

The mammogram was horrendous as they jammed my sore ribs against the machine then squished my very painful breasts into hamburgers shapes one at a time and I am some what embarrassed at swearing ( I used the'f' word and cant believe I swore in a hospital!). That was after the Radiologist had to stop the test because I felt faint with the pain! The mammogram seriously it must have originated as a tool of torture.

At this point in my life it is safe to say my breasts and I are not getting along very well and if offered a divorce from them I would happily take it and absolutely no reconstruction! I have had enough and have already picked out my new string vest to replace them!

I am sure that I will feel different in a few days what does not help is a very dear friend died on weds of cancer in his brain, spine and lungs. I am happy he is out of pain but it has left me feeling a bit wobbly for my own situation. I only found out about his situation at the same time as I went to the doc about myself. They gave him 5 weeks and he lasted 8, the funeral is this weds.

For now it is a bit at a time not even a day at a time! 2 hours ago I thought about giving up and phoning the Doc because when I get up and try to do anything I am now feeling really dizzy but having laid back down I feel better so I will see how tonight goes and reassess in the morning.

Will keep in touch you have no idea how good it is to turn on the computer and rant rant rant............. I do not want to worry my family although they are supportive I don't think they really understand.

It was St Perigrin's Novena today and it works wonders to see so many cancer survivors in one room.

God Bless us all

Hugs to all

Christine x

supergrangran replied to supergrangran's response:
It is now 3am Sun morning and I am up taking more anti sickness meds............... O M G! pregnancy was easier than this!

Would love to know if anyone else has ever had an allergic reaction to a scan and how did you cope........... am feeling so lonely with no company to moan with I can't possibly be the only person in the world to be allergic to bone scans!

Think its the doc for me tomorrow at least to get stronger longer lasting anti sickness.

I had this dream years ago I want to share with you to cheer myself up. I dream in cartoon I swear that's the truth!

Anyway I have had a number of surgeries in my life and in this dream, which was in cartoon........... I had died and approached the golden gates of heaven and St Peter took my name and said Oh you must go there before you can enter and he directed me to what looked like a shed from the outside of the building.

When I entered the door it became like something out of a film called monsters inc where they collect screams from children's bad dreams and to enter the child's bedroom these doors all swing along on some kind of conveyor belt.

Back to my dream, same idea only its not doors swinging its shelves and whoosh whoosh whoosh there stops in front of me a shelf with my name on it and there on the shelf is my gall bladder and uterus which in true cartoon style held its little hands out to me and said 'mama mama'

Needless to say I woke up laughing and at the same time wondering if all your bits are returned to you some day.

You see life is not all bad when you can dream in cartoon. I am going back to bed now to try and get some sleep I do sign language for the deaf and am supposed to be signing mass tomorrow if I make it.

I sign once a month for the deaf at our cancer support group and that was today I had to go as I am alone for this mass but tomorrow is not so bad because there are two signers on this team I think Jackie may be getting a text if I don't feel any better by morning.

So I bid you good night and will talk again soon

Love and hugs

Christine xxx

rachael67 replied to supergrangran's response:
There must be some sort of med in your doctor's bag of tricks to treat an allergic reaction...Some antihistamine or such! Surely, one cannot simply wait it out!

I am allergic to bee stings and have an Epipen I carry just in case. Of course, if used, then I am to go to the hospital, but I don't need to simply wait it out!

Please contact your doc..If he can't help, how about an allergist???!!

Holding you in my thoughts!

Rachael
Maya Angelou

supergrangran replied to rachael67's response:
It is now day 7since the bone scan and the reaction I took to it and I am feeling much better I still don't have my own voice back and sound like I have a sore throat. Its not sore just doesn't sound right.

I am now breathing with more comfort - not so wheezy and the nausea is much more under control. I think I am well on the mend.

Last time I had this I was too ill to go to the doctor and he came to me. He treated the symptoms and said it will go when it goes but the treatment did offer some comfort.

He gave me pain killers which helped with my breathing as it felt like inflammation around the outside of my lungs and the tubes going into my lungs were on fire. The ice cream definitely didn't reach that space!

He also gave me anti sickness drugs to help with the nausea. All of this was fine but by morning I was like a drug addict looking to score! where are my drugs can't move till they start working and some times I didn't make it to the morning before I started to feel really ill.

I really don't cope well with throwing up and am now fitting into my clothes very comfortably as a result of my week! There is always a silver lining if you look for it.

I am mainly just very tired now and glad it is all over I just have to wait for the results (a week tomorrow) and hope this miserable week ends in the right way.

I hope I never need to go into that machine again and I don't think it helped having the mammogram less than 24 hours later.

Sending happy thoughts out to all and it is good to know there is sympathy out there when you need it.

Thank you

Christine x

rachael67 replied to supergrangran's response:
Christine, I am glad to hear that you apparently have turned the corner on this nasty reaction! I agree that if you can avoid ever needing it again, it will make for much happier days!!

You remain in our thougths for good results! Keep us posted.

Blessings.
Rachael
Maya Angelou

Helpful Tips

Breast Cancer Survivor
I had breast cancer surgery on right side just below my breast 2.2 cm part since 2001. It also removed 21 nodes my armpit to protect cancer ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center