Skip to content
Small up-date on my Mother
GGrandmaJan posted:
Hi All, Hope everyone had a great week-end.

On the 23rd I took my Mother to get her mammo, as Dr needed more info than just the US. She did really good and I was so proud of her. They were able to do the mammo with her sitting in her walker. She didn't have to stand the whole time.

As for the "Soft Paddles" they don't have them. I think the Dr said all that for my benefit. They did put down a soft pad on the shelf and I think that made it easier. Now we see the Dr on June 5th for results.

She still has no clue what the Dr's are looking for. But that is O.K. as we (staff at her assisted place) and I have decided there is no reason to bring up the fact she might have bc. Perhaps it is a good thing she lives in her own little world. Dr did suggest to put her on Tamoxifen. Not sure why as at 92 I am sure she doesn't have many hormones left.

I am more relaxed after we saw the Onc Dr. I wrote a letter to him explaining about my mother and her dementia. He and his nurses read it. What a concept!!!! I needed him to know about her state of mind or lack of her memory. LOL

Wow---Thank goodness, my friends got me to change Onc Dr's last year. He is the best. He was so gentle with her. At least, I knew the best Dr's to take her too.

Thanks all for your support and prayers.
Blessings All
Jan

kiwiallright responded:
HI Jan,

I am so sorry about your mother, we had an Aunt who was in her late 80"s or early 90's and they found BC - I cannot remember if they removed the breast or just a lumpectomy then they had her do radiation - with all that I know I could not believe they had her do that. It seemed that the Dr was insistent. She left us shortly after completing radiation treatment, it was too much for her. We can only hope that your Onc will listen to the decisions that you make that will help your mother at this time.

Hope all is well

Love to all

Mary

GGrandmaJan replied to kiwiallright's response:
Thanks Mary, Yes, my Onc Dr is the very best. He actually listens to me. What a concept!!!!

Yes, at this age to have her breast removed would be way to much. Her memory is only abot 10 minutes long, now days. She would never remember what happened to her breast. Also way to painful and what is the point. The risks would be to great for any surgery anyway.

I am so glad my son and daughter both agree with me. My mom does not have any lumps just drainage from her Lt breast so no lumpectomy either.

Why in the world would they put your aunt thru rads? Makes no sense to me either. Poor lady.

Thanks for your reply. Hope you are having fun with your garden. Mine needs more sun. Just cloudy days now. UGH.

Blessings
Jan

brcansur responded:
Jan,
Hello, I am so glad to hear that your mom did well with her new mammo and got to sit through the whole test that is so nice. I wish we could do the same thing and have soft cushion under our breast would have been nice. Oh well to late now for me mine are gone now and no more mammo's for me. I have to get MRI's when and if anything goes wrong with my breast now due to implants much less discomfort then a mammo. Or I can have a US done first and if that doesn't show anything then the MRi is done. I like the idea of writing the doctor a note ahead of time letting him know about your mother and how she is with the memory and all that was very nice of you plus it gave him a heads up before hand. That was very smart of you I wouldn't have thought of that this way he knew what to expect when she came in. Wow for someone that always says you don't have much of a memory and mind left since chemo that was great. You shouldn't cut yourslef short you have some very great ideas for someone with a mind that going south my friend lol. really you do !! I only wish mine was that sharp and I am only 49 can you send some of what everit is your using or doing my way ?!!
Well I am sending all good wishes and prayers your way for your mom and all her test results hoping it is nothing to worry about and that she doesn't need to have any more test or treatments of any kind no meds no nothing. She just needs to keep having fun playing her Bingo and having her hair done that is all oh and hiding things from everyone lol. You will find that jar of quarters someday I am sure like when you are cleaning that room out many years from now lol.lol. Have a great day and I will send some sunshine your way for your garden angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

GGrandmaJan replied to brcansur's response:
Thanks so much for your reply, Roberta. So funny about MY memory. I had to write that letter to the Dr as we only had a 30 min appt. Not long enough to explain my Mom's history!! LOL
What got me is the Dr read it and also his nurses. Usually they all greet me when I come in to the clinic (where I had done my chemo) but this time when I had my Mom everyone played it so cool. They never let on that I was a regular there. I did not want her to know that is where I had been all last year.

My hats off to those wonderful people. The nurses read the letter also. What a concept!!! Blew my mind. I did pick the Greastest Onc Dr last year. Well, my friends kicked me in the butt and suggested I go there. WaaHooo!!!

Now if I had been back to my old Onc Dr---who knows what he would be putting my Mother thru. He never listened to me for 5 1/2 yrs so I know he would have NOT listened to me now.

Thank Heaven's for good friends. Both locally and for sure on this board.

Please, Roberta, do send me some SUN!!! My babies outside are shivering and need some warmth.

Oh BTW---My Mariners really socked it to the Texas Rangers last night. (Rangers are the best team in MLB right now). They scored 8 runs in the 2nd inning and again in the 3rd. The score ended up being 20 to 7. WOW---- we beat Texas 2 games out of three. I was hooping and hollering so much. Home run after home run. Perhaps my young studs are finally going to put it all together. One can only hope.

Have a nice day. Got to run for a port flush.
Fondly
Jan

brcansur replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Jan,
I am so happy for you that you have such a great onc and now that same onc is seeing your mother. It is a plus when the staff is also very kind hearted and takes good care of all that go into that office for care how very comforting to know you are in good hands and that they truely care and from the sounds of it like their jobs.
Now about that sun when I said I would send some your way I didn't mean all of it !! Now it is cloudy and they are calling for rain all weekend. I am glad that it is cooler and less humid though that is nice. It was in the high 80's and 90's all last week with very high humidity some day 80 to 100% not fun on those days I don't do good when it is like that. I will take the coolness I just don't want a rainy weekend we have the relay for life this weekend then our cancer survivors breakfast is on Sun. It would be better if it wasn't raining but hey I will celebrate either way with all the others because we are all still here to celebrate right !!
Good for your team hope they keep up the good work I don't really foloow sports much never did. I used to watch the races with ex but not any more.But even when I did that I was always doing something else couldn't sit for long and watch. I like hockey but would rather see it in person more fun that way. I used to play all the time with my brothers and there freinds growing up loved it. That is about all for sports with me just can't sit long enough to watch any of it I have to be moving or doing something else. I could see you now having a blast yelling like crazy when they got all those home runs lol.lol. I could also see your hubbies face looking at you like you are going nuts lol.lol. I hope it wasn't late at night and you wake him up yelling he will really think your going nuts or that something is wrong. I just remembered that your games come on late and go on til the wee hours not so good if you are yelling and hubby sleeping but could be funny if you think about it for a min Oh well as long as you had fun and it made you happy and they won that is all that matters right !!!??
Now I have a question for you if the sun made it your way that I sent you ,could you please send a little of it back to me PLEASE!!! Have a great day and weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center