Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just for fun: Your first car?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
I started this discussion in a parenting community and the answers were great!

What was your first car and what memories do you have of it?

My first car was a 1980 4 door silver honda civic - maroon interior.
It was a hand-me-down from my mom.

The only problem was that a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage once rolled under the front seat after a grocery shopping trip. It was not discovered for a day in 100+ heat. That car never quite smelled the same despite cutting out the carpet and multiple air freshening attempts!

What about you?

Haylen

rachael67 responded:
Ah! My first car came rather late for me...For some very naive reason I felt I could always "arrange" for others to provide my transportation! (Talk about guts!! I did generously help pay for gas, but nonetheless...!!! )

I had been married a year and working for three years when it finally dawned on me that it might be a good idea for me to actually have my own car! It was a white Datson! (As I never have had any real interest in cars and seldom noted little about the age unless it pertained to either a brand new car smell or...a rather "old aroma"!! This had neither ...Even with cars age is irrelevant! )

It was a cute little thing and I really liked it ...with a few caveats: First, the day we bought it and I was driving it home, it barely made it to our destination and died!! Not a really good first impression!

But it had the cutest little glove compartment!!!! Honest, it was really darling!!

It also had a little leak where water tended to kinda go under the passenger side floor mat ...At one time a maple seed had found its way into the car and took up root...I felt that this was a definite advantage as, should anyone ever steal my car, I could always tell the police to look for a white Datson with a tree growing in the front seat!!

I hadn't thought of that car in sooo long...What fun!

Thanks Haylen!!
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

mark918 responded:
1973 Ford Gran Torino station wagon passed down from my dad. The car was a tank that went through anything.

kiwiallright responded:
HI,
Depending on what age you were given a car or even got a drivers license. I did not get a license until I was about 24 yrs old, hubby had a 1977 Ford F 150 - then a Ford Tbird, no idea the year. Most of my teenage years it was one of three modes of transportation - my legs for #1, the bus second, then bumb a ride from whomever - or I just stayed at home..

MY Dad always said that a third class ride was better than a first class walk - - I think that is how it went.

Have a great day

brcansur responded:
Oh that is a good questioned, uumm well let see if you count when I got married and hubby had his capri oh that thing was the bomb back then got us every place we needed to go but took a while if it had any big hills lol.
See I didn't get a license or my very own car till divorced and on my own that was at 40. Oh I went crazy then got my license got a new car Dodge neon sport adition still have it then I bought a house yup went crazy that year lol. But boy was it fun just being able to do and get what I felt like doing and getting. I loved having my own car and driving myself any place I wanted to go with out having to ask any one for a ride it felt real nice.
I did that walking or taking the bus or waiting till someone could bring you but this was so much better just get your keys and go any time. Boy what good memeories that brought back thanks Haylen have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Helpful Tips

Breast Cancer Survivor
I had breast cancer surgery on right side just below my breast 2.2 cm part since 2001. It also removed 21 nodes my armpit to protect cancer ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center