Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Getting blood out of a port - -
kiwiallright posted:
Hi all,

The last two times they have drawn blood from my port it seems as if it does not want to fill up those little viles they were just awaiting to be fulled. Have any of you had any issues regarding this. I will need to include that over the last month the port has been accessed four times, normal blood draw in June 10th, then 22nd, accessed for more blood, seven viles, then again on the 9th - she kinda went in closer to the bottom of it and it hurt like the billow oh's and it took forever to fill up the three that she had. Then she had to do it again today and it did not want to give any blood. We got enough for what was needed. The reason we went with the port was because those veins did not want to give anything. Mind you on the 27th of June I thought I would give it a go to see what would happen, more blood required, the first vein accessed gave a vile full then blew up (bumbled) then she had to access another and it did the same thing, so no more vein access. All is well, even though they are testing my blood - all result are good, accept I was told today at times they are not always correct, comforting isn't it,

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Hope all is well with you all and you are enjoying your summer, heat and all. If anyone has any access rain, I will take it.

Thanks

Mary

GGrandmaJan responded:
Mary, sorry to hear of your problems with the port. Are they flushing it after each blood draw? I go in every 6 weeks for a port flush to keep it activated.

I do believe this is a question for your Dr. Something is not right. they should get oodles and oodles of your blood. Opps that doesn't sound good. I am not a Vampire. LOL

Perhaps the nurse didn't get into the middle of the port. They really have to know what they are doing. You should not feel any pain other than the first stick. Perhaps she went inTOO far and maybe---I said maybe poked a hole in the other side.

Please, Mary do ask your Dr about this. We do need to protect our veins. Tuesday when I had the CT scan they used a vein instead of waiting for IV therapy to come down to access my port. Now I have a huge bruise in the crook of my elbow. Dang It. I should have insisted they do my port. Live and learn.

Good luck to you. Glad all reports were good.
Fondly
Jan

mhall6252 replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
My veins suck and blood draws were way easier when I still had my port. Sorry you are having so much trouble. I would definitely talk to your doctor - it should be easier, not harder. As for pain, get a prescription for EMLA cream - it will numb the area. You apply the cream about 45 minutes before being jabbed, cover with a little plastic wrap. By the time you are stuck, you shouldn't feel a thing.

Jan - I had a PET/CT when I still had my port and the techs didn't want to access it. I guess it's a specialized thing and I was well hydrated that day...or they really knew what they were doing. I had labs this past Wednesday and the nurse tried in the crook of my arm, which has about a 50% chance of failure. And that's what happened. It seems to be easier around my wrist above my thumb. I think I'm going to start insisting they go there first. I'm tired of two sticks for one draw!!!

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center