Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Breast Cancer
blessingsgalore posted:
I had surgery July 5, 2012 to remove stage one breast cancer. My surgeon called July 11, 2012 to advise he didn't get it all. So I am now having a second surgery July 20, 2012. The doctor said this is not uncommon. I am truly blessed it was caught at an early stage. Has anyone experienced this situation?

GGrandmaJan responded:
Hi and Welcome to our board. Am so sorry you have a need to be here but glad you found us. We do care and support each other.

Yes, unfortunately this is very common. They need to get clear margins of good tissue. It is good he is being very proactive with you. Are you having lumpectomies?

Best of luck to you. Remember we are open 24/7. We ask questions, vent, get angry and do tell jokes. Sometimes we even talk about our gardens, hobbies and whatever.

I am glad you found us but very sorry you had a need to.

Hugs.
Jan

rachael67 responded:
Jan is so right about the common 2nd surgeries as well as the good thing about having a proactive doctor.

We will be with you on July 20th and hoping for the very best outcome. Please come back and let us know how you are doing.

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

judyfams replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Jan is absolutely correct.
I don't think you are interpreting the need for a second surgery correctly. Lumpectomies must have a margin of tissue around the lump that contains no cancer cells. Your surgeon may have gotten removed the entire cancerous tumor - but even if there is one cell in that margin then they must go back and remove more tissue and that tissue removed must also have clean or clear margins around it.
So that is why you need a second surgery. As Jan said it is very common that women need more than one surgery when that have a lumpectomy.
Good luck with your upcoming surgery, and let us know how you are coming along.
Judy

blessingsgalore replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Hi Jan!
Thank you so much for your response. I am very grateful I took a chance and joined the community. I appreciate your words of encouragement. I do understand the the need for this 2nd surgery. I think it just caught me off guard because I wanted to believe I was done with surgery and moving on to the radiation therapy.

blessingsgalore replied to rachael67's response:
Thanks Rachael. I will make sure to post an update on my situation as soon as I can after surgery. I was just caught off guard. I am glad I took a chance and joined the community. You all are wonderful. God Bless you all!

Blessingsgalore

blessingsgalore replied to judyfams's response:
Thanks Judyfams! My Dr did explain in detail the need for another surgery. I think it just caught me off guard. I am better now thanks to all of you. I am so blessed that it was caught early. I can get through whatever I need to so I can become whole and healthy. I will make sure to post an update as soon as I can after surgery. God Bless!

blessingsgalore

meeka123 responded:
Hey you may want to check your symptoms first and then decide whether to take the 2nd surgery or not. Here is what I always do to ask the doctors for suggestions. To save money I go to healthtap.com, leave my questions there and wait few minutes to receive doctors' answers. Good luck to you and hope you have a "correct" operation later!

laramin responded:
I too had 2 surgeries. Left breast mastectomy in May of 2011, but margins werent clear so I needed another one. I had chemo first then had another surgery November.
Just hanf in there, your Dr is doing the right thing. Good luck! Glad you caught it early.

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center