Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
secondary cancer in the brain?
supergrangran posted:
I am 7 years in remission from breast cancer and three years ago I had an MRI scan because of a severe headache that went on for around 6 weeks. This scan showed 2 lesions in my brain and following a discussion with the breast consultant a 'wait and see' approach was decided as the best way to go. This meant regular scans and a number of different tests to rule out the possible cause.

This situation has been monitored for three years and the most up to date review (three weeks ago) was that the previously stated lesions are now being called cavernomas and there are two. Both are leaking blood into my brain and causing symptoms - headaches, nausea, change in taste sensation and occasionally sight problems. And so I was referred to a neurosurgeon who very helpfully allowed me to see the scans and compare them. In 2 years these things appear to have quadrupled in size and are inoperable as one is beside the brain stem.

As well as the picture I was allowed to read the report which states that they are presenting as cavernomas but it is not and they can not be 100% certain that this is not secondary cancer from the breast 7 years ago.

Has this happened to anyone else? and how long does it take to be 100% sure that it is not cancer? I read the postings about tumour markers and am not sure what this is and if I can ask for this test to be done here in Scotland to get some peace of mind.

This site has been a god send to me through recent problems with my ribs and side effects from the MRI scan. Being 7 years away from the original problem it is not always easy to find an understanding and sympathetic ear.

I am taking one day at a time and repeating to myself every day the mantra by which I have lived my life for the last 7 years. Today is my life, yesterday is my history, tomorrow is a blessing I have yet to receive and you should never take your blessings for granted.

I thank everyone for the love and support and send hugs to us all!

Christine x

rachael67 responded:
Christine, I am so sorry that you have to be here, but so glad that this site offers some solace of sorts! Yes, there is no one here who won't listen and empathize with you where ever you might be on this journey!

I cannot offer any decisive information, but know that others will.

What I can offer is care and concern...and a promise that this community is with you in spirit each step of the way!

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

judyfams replied to rachael67's response:
Christine,
I too echo Rachel's post to you. I am so sorry that you are facing this uncertain situation.
Unfortunately you need to know if this is a new primary cancer or a metastisis of the breast cancer. When that is decided then they will kow better how to treat you.
Tumor markers track certain proteins in the blood whose numbers can be elevated depending on whether or not there is an inflammation present in the body and can indicate an infection somewhere or the possible presence of tumor cells in the body.
There are different kinds of tumor marker blood tests, one of which is used for breast cancer. So if they do the tumor marker test for breast cancer and your brain lesions are a new prmary cancer - those numbers will not be elevated. All that means in that example is that the breast cancer has not metastasized - but it does not mean that you might not have a new primary cancer.
I would encourage you to ask your doctors to do any and all tests necessary to find out what those lesions really are. Make a list of all your questions and concerns and bring them up to your doctors. You deserve to know what is going on in your body.
Please know we are here for you and I hope that you will let us know how you are doing.
Much good luck,
Judy

mhall6252 responded:
Christine,

I am so sorry you are having such serious issues. I echo what Judy and Rachael have said, and wish you nothing but the best.

Have you reviewed your results with a radiation oncologist? It might be a good idea.

Many hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

jenna291 replied to mhall6252's response:
Hi Christine,
So very sorry you have these serious stressful issues. I am with the other ladies in wishing you good thoughts and sending lots of hugs and prayers.

I hope they get to the bottom of this soon ~
Jenna

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center