Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Recovery of surgery site after Diep Flap
llrivers posted:
Hello,

Its been about a yr and a half since I had my last reconstruction of my stomach area after having a DIEP Flap procedure. And my scar area is still very red and itchy(sometimes). I was wondering if anyone else who has gone through the DIEP Flap procedure and experienced a long process of recovery in the stomach/abdomen area.

Thanks!

Lori

mhall6252 responded:
Lori - I haven't had DIEP, but I would suggest that you should call your plastic surgeon and let him/her take a look. At this point, it would seem that the scars would have settled down.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

kiwiallright responded:
HI Lori,

I am coming up on close to two years since the DIEP Flap Procedure, the scar in the abdomen area in some spots is read, not sure what they call it and others is looks great. Yes at times it does itch, my PS suggested that if I could not stand the itching they inject something into the scar and it helps with the itching, I am not sure about getting rid of the red. I use Vitamin E cream and also hydrocortizone cream or the generic.
It took awhile for be to be able to sit up without pain. An example is getting my hair washed when getting my hair done, I would say it took about eight months before I could sit up unassisted. At time now and then when at Dr's office and they want me to lay on that table I need help up and other times I do not.
If you are unsure of your symptoms check with your PS. Also sorry about my spelling errors.

Love to all

Mary

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center