Skip to content
Black Cohosh
pelusitadered posted:
Hi everyone! It's been some months since I last posted here asking about Estroven having hormones. Since then, I've started taking Estroven and Black Cohosh, and occasionally taking Gotu Kola. The Black Cohosh and Estroven seem to alleviate the hot flashes some. When I told my friend that I was taking Black Cohosh, she said that I shouldn't take it because she read something about it being bad. She couldn't tell me exactly what it was, because she couldn't remember. Has anyone hear heard anything bad about Black Cohosh or it's effects? Thank you. -Ella

mhall6252 responded:
I think this is a case where you should ask your oncologist. If you have ER breast cancer, it might be a problem. If your cancer is triple negative, it could be OK.

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

judyfams replied to mhall6252's response:
The inherent problem with these herbs is that they are not regulated by any agency to make sure they don't have other ingredients combined with them.
Also it is important to know where they are grown and manufactured.
If that is not enough you have no way of knowing if there might be an interaction with prescription meds you are already taking - so the decrease in the severity of your hot flashes might not be worth the other ptoblems these herbs can cause in the body.
I would agree with Michelle and check all herbs with your ocologist before taking them.
Good luck,
Judy

pelusitadered replied to judyfams's response:
The Black Cohosh was bought at Vitamin World and the bottle says it's manufactured here. I would think they'd sell only herbs that are US approved. I've asked my oncologist about the Estroven. She said it'd be okay to take, but I didn't ask her about the Black Cohosh. I should've mentioned too, that I had two lumpectomies done and that I'm not on any meds, as I stopped taking tamoxifen and the effexor September of last year due to the terrible hotflashes that effexor wasn't able to correct. I still have hotflashes, but not as bad as when I was on those meds. The type of breast cancer they found was DCIS, non invasive. Thanx for your posts, it's appreciated. -Ella

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center