Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pagets Disease progression
Memories123 posted:
Hi

There is a lot of information on the internet regarding the symptoms, diagnosis, ets. I can't however find anything on the progression of the disease and what are the critical time to start with treatment. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

judyfams responded:
That is a difficult question to answer and there is no definite answer.
Obviously the general answer is that the sooner one treats the breast after a diagnosis the better. How soon to rush into treatment depends on the stage of the cancer - early stage may give you more time to go for second opinions - late stage needs surgey sooner.
So you have to choose a surgeon/oncologist that you have confidence in and whom you trust to guide you as to when you should have surgery.
Then you need to decide if you have a mastectomy or a lumpectomy - if you are even a candidate fo a lumpectomy. Then if you have a lumpectomy ou need radiation and if you have a mastectomy you need to think about whether or not you want reconstruction and if you do you need to see a plastic surgeon.
So you have many things to consider. If I were you, I would first consult with a breast surgeon and ask him all the questions you have based on your diagnosis and research. Then decide what you want to do and then go forward from there - one step at a time until you have a treatment plan in place.
Let the doctors guide you on when to begin treatment.
Please come back and let us know what you decide.
Much good luck,
Judy

Memories123 replied to judyfams's response:
Thanks Judy. I really appreciate your reply. I'm just a mess at the moment as I really don't know what to do. Our medical fund is exhausted and I can't go and see a doctor at the moment. I went for a mammogram and sonar in April and it showed no problems. My GP gave me an ointment that I used with no difference. I read up on the symptoms and it seems in line with Paget's disease. More of the symptoms are manifesting and I know they say it is better to get diagnosed early. I also read about a couple of cases where mammogram and sonar didn't pick up anything although the persons had Pagets. Hence my question, will it be ok to wait until January?

judyfams replied to Memories123's response:
I would not wait until Jan. The anxiety of not knowing can do more harm to your physical and mental well being than a cancer diagnosis!
I would find a breast surgeon or a cancer center and see a doctor as soon as possible. Many doctors and hospitals are willing to work out payment schedules with their patients as long as you pay each month, and you can start the payments in Jan. There may also be a woman's clinic in your area that you could go to. Call ACS, Susan G, Komen,Cancer Care, Planned Parenthood and Gilda's Club and see if they can give you names of breast surgeons who they work with and may be willing to work with your limited finances. Call any org. that sounds like it could help. Of course if you live near a big city you can go to a clinic in one of the major hospitals to be examined.
I really would encourage you to do what you can right now to get a diagnosis. If it is a later stage cancer diagnosis you should not wait, so you need to find out what you may or may not be dealing with.
I would go to a doctor now and start paying in Jan., rather than wait until jan. to go to the doctor.
Ask your GP for a prescription for an anti anxiety med to help you get through the next few weeks until you find out what is going on.
This could be anything from a blocked milk duct to an agressive type of breast cancer, and you really should get a diagnosis as soon as possible.
I am so sorry that you are going through this - but waiting until Jan. will not help you mentally or physically.
Please know that we all care and let us know how you are doing - we are all compassionate and are never judgemental - so come here to vent, ask questions or whenver you need to "talk" to someone.
Judy

rachael67 replied to Memories123's response:
I agree with Judy...Being a "Lady In Waiting" sucks big time!!

Also, please make sure you scan over the "Tips" listed on the right side of this page as there are several posts which address the issue of finances (or lack thereof!)...Perhaps among all those you might find some helpful ideas. Sure hope so. You certainly don't need that complicating the challenge!

Know we are sending tons of support your way!

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

Memories123 replied to judyfams's response:
Hi Judy

Thanks so much for the support. Yes, it's like I'm on a rollercoaster ride and I can't get off. Some days I tell myself that I'm fine and there's nothing to worry about, the next I look down and can't seem to focus on anything else. I know I must just keep looking up and trust in God and everything will be ok, either way. And yes, with your support on this forum it will make things easier for me. I don't really have someone I can talk to as I don't want to upset them. So bottling things up was getting to me and I am so glad I came across this forum. Will certainly try and make work of this asap and make some kind of arrangement if needed. God bless.
Lizette

Memories123 replied to rachael67's response:
Thanks Rachael. You gave me a good chuckle with the "Lady in Waiting". I agree, it sucks big time! Thanks for the support. I appreciate it. God bless! Lizette

Memories123 replied to Memories123's response:
With your encouragement I made arrangements and went for a biopsy today. I already feel better just doing something. Now I am a "Lady in Waiting" for the results which I should be getting on Wednesday. Thanks for your encougement. Have a super weekend!

judyfams replied to Memories123's response:
Lizette,
I am so glad that you have gone for a biopsy! You go girl!
Whatever the results - you can know what you are dealing with and then plan your course of action.
Just making the decision has helped you deal with this, and we are all thinking of you and anxiously wait with you to hear the results on Wed.
Stay busy this weekend and let us know the results when you get them.
Stay positive!
Judy

rachael67 replied to Memories123's response:
Yes!

Please know that during what will seem a very long weekend and beginning of the week, we are standing right beside you, offering any and all support we can. Feel free to visit here with questions or merely to vent or if you need some hand-holding. We're open 24/7!

Blessings.
Rachael
Maya Angelou

Memories123 replied to rachael67's response:
Thanks Judy and Rachel. I really appreciate your support. It means a lot to me. Will let you know when I get the results!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Memories123's response:
Hi there!

(((hugs))) to you during your "lady in waiting" time!

WebMD has a wealth of information on Paget's but I wanted to point you to outside resources:

Paget's Resources - Other Places To Get Help

It includes links to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Also institute that provides information and participates in a national federal database of health information, a government resource center to locate current information and a voluntary health agency devoted to serving people affected by Paget's.

If you can't find the information you need from my "boyfriend" Mr. Google, you might try some of these -

Haylen

rachael67 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen, how about adding this to resources/tips?

Thanks!

Rachael
Maya Angelou

Memories123 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Haylen. Will go and look at the pages. Appreciate it!

Memories123 replied to Memories123's response:
Hi. Good news! Just spoke to the doctor on the phone. Will see him later. No cancer detected. Need further treatment, but it's ok. Apparently some sort of infection. Will get something to use and monitor then for the next 2 weeks. I was just so relieved that I couldn't take anything in besides no cancer. Thanks for all your support and encouragement. I really appreciate it. I couldn't discuss it with anybody and you guys are the best. God bless!

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center