Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
possible breast cancer
lukefrancis1 posted:
Hi had sterotactic biopsy in july the dr. missed the lesion. what tissue they did get was benign Now on Monday scheduled for wide excisional biopsy at sloan kettering in manhattan.

Of course, I am concerned....but trying to be optimistic, its been the entire summer! seems everyone goes on vacation in august.....pls say prayers.

They are inserting a small radioactive seed in the breast by a radiologist, than they will use a small giger counter to locate seed and than remove lesion and seed. Has anyone had this proceedure? Any information will be appreciated

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi lukefrancis and welcome! I know if any of our members have experience with this procedure they will chime in soon!

I was only able to find an archived article from 200 about radioactive seeds and breast cancer treatment . However, there is an interesting study from earlier this year about the success of radioactive seeds for prostate cancer treatments . Benefits included fewer side effects.

When is your appointment for the procedure? We send "Pinky", a virtual party bus , to pick you up for scary appointments and the whole community comes along for the ride. Let us know and we'll be there

Haylen

lukefrancis1 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
thank you so much for responding! I was feeling badly that no one had! My appoint is in NY Memorial Sloan at 8a.m. monday 9/17....this has been going on since july 27th...feels like forever.

the seed is placed just for location of the lesion and than removed immediately with lesion....in excisional biopsy...9 days for results!

It is so scary not knowing....I am prepared to march ahead and fight this if it turns out to be malignant. Just really annoyed dr. mmissed with the stero tactic biopsy...but she was honest with me and thats the upside of this.

Again thank you so much for responding! will be looking for Pinky!

rachael67 replied to lukefrancis1's response:
Welcome to the club no one would wish to join, but where you will find many supportive, caring individuals.

A needle biopsy can miss some cells, and if the medical team strongly suspects the possibility of malignancy despite the negative results, it is not uncommon to ask for an excisional or open biopsy. This may explain what happened in your case.

I had an open biopsy in 2003, and must admit that it truly was nothing dreadful at all...Neither the surgery nor the recovery were bad. Post-surgery they placed a corset-type bra on and I wore it for several days as I recall. I don't remember any great discomfort.

As that biopsy did not give clear margins I had a lumpectomy following it which basically was the identical procedure.

I did not have the radioactive seeds used...Perhaps this is something relatively new?

I am familiar with the radiation seeds used in radiation treatment which are not what you describe to be used in your case for the biopsy.

Please know you will be in our thoughts. Feel free to come here with questions or to vent or to share ...We're open 24/7 just for each other! And do let us know how you are doing.

Blessings.
Rachael

PS...I drive the Pink Bus so watch for us!!
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

vajanie replied to lukefrancis1's response:
Hi,

Welcome, and hope you'll keep coming back. I'm so sorry for all you've endured, especially the waiting. And the wait for nine days for results is one of the worst parts of the whole ordeal.
I hope you will let us know what happens with subsequent procedures and test results.

I'll definitely send you positive thoughts and hope for the very best results for you.

Janie

lukefrancis1 replied to rachael67's response:
Thank you all for responding....it means so much to me. Been trying to be so positive but sometimes it is hard! I will be coming back and letting everyone know my progress!....no offense, however, I really DON'T want to be part of this club!!!! wish all of you didn't belong.

However knowing that there are careing people is a big comfort to me!

The placing of the radioactive seed is new...its just so the dr can locate lesion with a giger type counter...it is removeed with the lesion!

I will be watching for the Pink Bus! hugs to all

lukefrancis1 replied to vajanie's response:
Thank you for your reply....I agree the waiting is unacceptable for anyone to have to endur! I guess the specific testing takes titime.

Thank you for your positive thoughts! it means alot to me to know I have people thinking positive thoughts for me!

rachael67 replied to lukefrancis1's response:
We all are in total agreement with you about not wanting this club to exist!! No offense taken!!

Since your procedure is so new, we welcome the information. So many of our members learn from each other. Oft times we might just be in the dark if we relied on "being provided with necessary information" by our medical team.

Sometimes they know and never give our ignorance a thought.

Other times we not only don''t know the answers, we don't even have enough knowledge to know the questions!

And sometime what we learn from one another and our personal experiences comes as a surprise even to the docs when we tell them about it! More than one doctor has done his own research because of information we bring from here!!

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

lukefrancis1 replied to rachael67's response:
Hi from what I understand this is relatively new...instead of having wire inserted in breast prior to biopsy they implant seed ssize of a seseme seed and it is removed with the lesion! will keep everyone informed! thank you Rachael for your blessings....its a tough day today waiting for tomorrow!

vajanie replied to lukefrancis1's response:
Hi,

Will you let us know when you find out your results. Rachael's right about not even having the knowledge to know what questions to ask. I was so in the dark about this whole subject, but I got busy on good web sites and did my homework, but my best source of information is this one. I've gotten so much useable information here.
If I could back right out of this club and shut the door I would, but I would certainly have missed out on communicating with some wonderful people.

All the best to you,

Janie

lukefrancis1 replied to vajanie's response:
I will let you know the results! I too feel likethis is the best support "club" I look forward to hearing from others.....but like you I would unenroll in a heart beat.

My concerns are of course my health, but it effects my daughter and my 4 beautiful young grandaughters! Again thanks Janie for you good wishes and the same to you!

jenna291 replied to lukefrancis1's response:
Just want to jump in and give you good wishes for a "negative" result.

This is not a subject any of us wanted to learn so much about, but here we are, and thinking of you.

best wishes,
Jenna

lukefrancis1 replied to jenna291's response:
thank you so much!
This is the day the lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center