Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Diagoned- Any advice
justkarenc posted:
I was diagnosed with biliteral cancer a month ago. I had a mini stroke a week after I found out so my surgery was postponed. I am nervous about surgery, I'm in the early stages but will know more once the surgeon gets in there. I'm on estrogen pills right now to hopefully shrink the tumors while waiting for surgery.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

vajanie responded:
Hi,

I'm a relative new-comer myself here. I'm sorry about your diagnosis and certainly hope you're doing better after the mini-stroke. Everyone is nervous about the surgery but I think most just want to get it over and find out the next step. You've been through a lot.
There are people here with so much more information and expertise than I have and I'm quite sure you'll be hearing from them. Just to let you know where I am, I had surgery August 10, am waiting to start chemo in about two weeks. Please keep coming here and letting us know how you're doing. I have found more practical information and support here than I would have believed.

Sending you healing thoughts,

Janie

jean4u responded:
Karen. Just go with your "gut". I did that. NOT what was the "gold standard", which was surgery & radiation. I had the lumpecyomey BUT chose not to have the rads. After I did research I chose to have a bilateral mastectomey and re construction.

NEVER sorry!

Wish you luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barb

judyfams replied to jean4u's response:
Sorry about your diagnosis. It is so stressful waiting for each treatment to begin and test and scan results.
You have not told us whatkind of surgery you are having, lumpectomy, mastectomy, radiation, reconstruction?????????
Remember above all else you must feel comfortable with your doctors and if you have to make decisions about your course of treatment - you should make the decision that gives you peasce of mind and that you will never regret.
It is your body, your life and your self esteem and therefore it should be YOUR decision as to what treatment plan you choose.
Please come back and let us know what you decide.
Judy

justkarenc replied to judyfams's response:
Thank you everyone for your responses. I am having a double mastectomy. If there is no cancer in the nodes (right now none of my doctors feel anything but I know surgery I'll know more) and my tumors are confirmed at stage 2, no chemo will be necessary. Right now I am taking anastrozole to take some action before surgery can be scheduled. I got a clean bill of health from the stroke center and the doctor was calling my surgeon to discuss the surgery.

I love my team, they give me the information I need and are great. I definitely will be back and keep everyone posted on my progress. I wore a ribbon the other day and someone said to me that is a pretty pin, are you are survivor. My response said I will be!

vajanie replied to justkarenc's response:
Karen,

I'm glad you have your answers now as to what is next. As everyone says, the waiting is one of the hardest parts of this ordeal. I'm so pleased for you that you had good news from the stroke center and can go ahead with planning your surgery.. and will keep sending you positive thoughts for no node involvement and no chemo.

I loved your response to the question about the ribbon. I'm sure too that you will be.

Janie

rachael67 replied to justkarenc's response:
Whew! You have certainly been through a lot!

So very glad to hear that you have a team you trust and seem to have a good plan in place!

Your attitude (especially regarding the pink ribbon!) is super...You are definitely on the way!! Know we will continue to send good thoughts your way, and do let us know how you are doing.

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

justkarenc replied to vajanie's response:
Thanks Janie. I agree waiting for the results were the worst part. A friend of mine does mannograms in Fla so we talked about the what ifs. I heard all the scary words from her and when I finally got my results I was prepared for the worst. The doctor she works with looked at my report and said the same thing my surgeon did, so I felt good everyone was on the same page.

justkarenc replied to rachael67's response:
Rachel, yes August was a horrible month. I had genetic testing in Sept and that was negative. My next appt is 9/21 with my oncologist to see if the tumors have shrunk, then it is a talk with my surgeon to see when that came be scheduled.

Hi,

Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing. I know your next step is the 21st and wanted to know if you'd please let us know what happens. Hope you're feeling otherwise.
I'll be thinking about you.

Janie

justkarenc replied to vajanie's response:
Janie,

Thank you for checking on me. I am doing very well. Had lunch with a co-worker's mom yesterday who had the same type of cancer I did and she told me all about the surgery. I'm not nervous anymore. Any surgery is scary and this being my first I did not know what to expect.

I will definitely come back on tell everyone what happens on the 21st.

jenna291 replied to justkarenc's response:
It does help so much when someone you know has been thru a similar situation. It takes some of the unknown away.
I am very glad you are not nervous. You will get thru this!

Will look for your update soon and send you many blessings and well wishes.
~ Jenna

justkarenc replied to jenna291's response:
Thanks Jenna. I know I will get through this. A friend of mine and I were talking about music and he listens to music that fits his mood. I said when I tell you the surgeon got all the cancer what song will you think of, and he said to me that is easy- I hope you dance by LeeAnn Womack. I have the song on my ipod and cry now when I hear it. I cry tears of joy because I will be fine.

Hi Karen,

I too think you will be just fine. I really like the idea of that song, I know it and think your friend had a good idea. Good thoughts with you today.

Janie

rachael67 replied to justkarenc's response:
Thinking especially of you today!

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center