Skip to content
An update on me, the clinical trial and news from MD Anderson
mhall6252 posted:
I saw my Dana Farber oncologist last Friday and I am doing well. I'm not having any side effects from the clinical trial drug, I'm not feeling too much fatigue, and my blood counts were all good. Just one little concern but it may not be a big deal - my CA27.29 (tumor markers) rose from 89 to 101. They ran a CEA this time (first time ever, as far as I can tell), and it came back at 0.8 with normal being below 2.5. So while the tumor markers are up a bit (and I've heard of that happpening when you're doing chemo) the CEA result, if accurate, would indicate that there is very little cancer giving off the protein that the CEA measures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinoembryonic_antigen

Some people have numbers above 2000, but this test is more accurate for colon cancer, I believe. In any case, it appears to be a "mixed" story at this point. The CAT scan on 10/5 will give us a better idea whether or not the trial drug is effective for me.

Now, for the big news! MD Anderson's "moonshot" - to be able to cure several types of cancer by the end of the decade. And they are including triple negative breast cancer (my kind) on their list. I don't need to tell you how thrilled I am to hear that the largest cancer center in the world believes that breakthroughs and cures are imminent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/md-anderson-cancer-center-cures-deaths-_n_1903597.html

I would fly myself to their center in Houston and allow myself to be part of their clinical trial program if they needed me!

This is such big news and should give us all hope that there will be a cure sooner rather than later!

Hugs to all,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

rachael67 responded:
Good news all around!

Congrats that things seem to continue in the right direction for the most part! We send good thoughts your way constantly!

As for the other news, yes I heard something about this on the news...The report was limited and I keep watching for further info. Thanks for supplying same! It is most encouraging!

Please share anything else you learn!

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

judyfams replied to rachael67's response:
Michelle,
So glad to hear that you are doing well with the clinical trial and that your "numbers" are improving.
Time to celebrate by taking us all to paris again?????????
Thanks for the links - articles were very interesting.
Continue sending us the good news - we are all praying for you.
Much love,
Judy

mhall6252 replied to judyfams's response:
Hahaha Judy! Actually, we are leaving for LA and Hawaii in 12 days! My DH has family in the Long Beach/Anaheim area so we'll be visiting and adjusting to the major time zone changes before heading to Hawaii on 10/11. Paris was lovely, but I actually have a preference for beachy, relaxing vacations. My favorite thing about Hawaii is that, other than when landing in Honolulu, you step off the plane and you can smell the plumeria in the air! Cannot wait!!!
Michelle

jenna291 replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle,
I am so glad you are not having horrid side effects from this trial.
I too heard limited info on this new breakthrough and it gives all of us hope. I have a daughter, and I pray for a cure in her lifetime. (BTW - she is in LA today and off to Hawaii for a week tomorrow with friends!) What a coincidence. I am so glad you are getting this great travelling in. A nice beach with wonderfully scented air and beautiful, tropical scenery sounds beyond fabulous!
Good luck with the 10/5 catscan.
Thinking of you always ~
Jenna

judyfams replied to jenna291's response:
OK Michelle,
Last time I went to Hawaii was 30 years ago - right before I began my NJ teaching career - so I'm all packed and ready to go again with you!
Have a great time and bring us back more pictures to whet our travel appetite.
Much fun to you and the DH and say "Hello" to Dano for me!
Judy

mhall6252 replied to judyfams's response:
Thanks, ladies! Maybe Rachael can just attach a turbo-engine to Pinkie and you all can fly across the Pacific and join me! Talk about a party - we could take over the beach and pool, monopolize all the cabana boys and keep the bartender busy :>)
Michelle

I like the way you think Michelle! My daughter has been emailing me pics - the flowers, oh the flowers! I can almost smell them!

Jenna

brcansur replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle,
I am so very happy for you that things are looking good and the trails seam to be working in the right direction great news. Oh how I wish I was going with you on that trip beaches and all those flowers would be great right now. Oh please do take lots of pictures and share again!!!!! Have a great time and relax some while there lol.lol not as much walking as your last trip Oh I am so very happy for you that you are feeling good and taking a nice warm trip away from it all. Have a great time fun and safe trip sending loads of angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

vajanie replied to brcansur's response:
Michelle, just got back today, and was so glad to hear that you're continuing to do well, and that your small concern turns out to be no concern at all..The trip sounds wonderful. The trip to Hawaii sounds heavenly. I have never been, but definitely plan to some day. DH is a great photographer and I keep pointing out the possibilities of great pictures there. We're planning another train trip out West for the spring, it takes me about two years to get over one of those and then I'm ready to go. Using two CPAP machines in a tiny sleeper, and the nightmare of climbing up into the upper berth always makes me think I should line up a marriage counselor to meet us at the train station on return. But, it's fun.
I too am excited about the "moon shot" at MD Anderson. I also have the triple negative bc and am glad to see that included. I seem to have survived my first chemo infusion, thanks in part I think to all the good advice here. It took a long time as they ran mine very slowly due to some allergies and a very small reaction to the Cytoxan. I got my Nulasta shot this morning and remembered to take my Claritin. I got the idea from the doctor that the bone pain can be pretty bad. I'm so grateful for the wonderful tips everyone gave me.

Hope all continutes well with you,

Janie

rachael67 replied to mhall6252's response:
You betcha!!!

Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

mhall6252 replied to vajanie's response:
Janie - so glad to hear you survived your first treatment. I was looking for a post from you, letting us know how you did. For me, the Claritin worked to prevent bone pain. I hope it's just as effective for you.

I've never experienced a long train trip. My hubby is 6'4" so I can't imagine him in one of those berths...lol!

Watch out what you ask for, you'll probably get it. Pictures - oh yes, there will be many, many of them!
Michelle

Janie,
So happy your first treatment is over. I hope the Claritin prevents the bone pain for you, and I found moving around a bit, even a short walk, helped quite a bit too.

Will look for your updates and best of luck ~
Jenna

vajanie replied to jenna291's response:
Hi, so nice to hear from all of you. I'm not feeling too bad. So far no bone pain or nausea. I had a cheeseburger last night and it tasted so good . Maybe chemo will give me back a taste for red meat. I tried that, Michele, because of what you said about getting adequate protein. I'm still taking my Claritin, through tomorrow. I do have a bright red face that flushes even brighter at times, and a fairly persistent headache. The lady who helped me with a wig told me about the flushing so I guess it's normal. My temperature is normal. I'm of course telling all these things I notice in case someone sees something that should raise a red flag. I am moving around a lot though I hurt my foot in France and couldn't get an appointment unitl next Monday for that, otherwise I feel like I could resume my normal walks down our country road. I miss that a lot.

Michelle, I agree your hubby should keep away from trains. Mine is 5'9" and has a time getting in the upper berth. I'm sure you're getting excited about your trip.
Best to you,

Janie

cindy12345678 replied to vajanie's response:
Janie,
I'm glad your first one is checked off the list. How many
cycles do you have left? I didn't have much bone pain.
I was a little sore , like I had the flu. They armed me with
pain pills that I didn't need to take though. It was good to have
them on hand. Onward and foreward, I know you are
going to beat this!!!
Cindy

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center