Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tired
Doris042 posted:
Hi, I am a stage 3 A Cancer Survivor for about 2.5 years now. I just was wondering if at this much time gone by if being tired easly is normal ? everyone I spoke to says you have been through alot give it time, I am 43 years old and can not keep up with daily tasks, I feel like I am alot older LOL I have gone to Dr's for check ups and all blood counts are fine. Not sure what I should do.....

MissyMachine responded:
have you had your iron checked? My mom is a 2 time survivor and has other health issues, and low iron and low blood sugar are her two biggest ones right now. Might wanna look into that??

judyfams replied to MissyMachine's response:
Some other things to have checked out are your thyroid,your vit B levels and your hematocrit.
You might want to see an endocrinologist too.
Hope you find some answers - and let us know what you find out.
Judy

rachael67 responded:
You are getting good suggestions...and I am sure others will chime in with other ideas such as life-style changes, proper nutrition and exercise. (I know! Who wants to exercise when they are exhausted!!???) What do the members of your medical team say about this?

However, know that those who tell you to take into account all you have been through are right on the money! Your body has been challenged in so many ways from procedures and treatments and surgeries and tests..and...Oh! And did I mention STRESS???!!

Shortly after surgery I felt like I should now be ready to get back to life, but my body disagreed! When I complained about this to my DH, he simply looked at me and said: "What do you expect? YOU'VE BEEN STABBED!!" Sorta put things into perspective!

I do hope you will find some solutions for renewed energies soon. Please know we send our best thoughts your way, and keep us posted. Okay?

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

sadblossom responded:
Hello Doris,

I can SO relate to this! I went thru my ordeal of tests,surgeries,treatments 2 1/2 to 3 years ago and I can barely put one foot in front of the other to this day. I do not understand the fatique and all my doctor's say is....'it will take awhile'. I have tried blaming it on everything I could think of but the truth is I have about decided that no one knows! I just keep on keepin on. I do what I can and rest when I need to. I also hope that as more time passes I will regain the energy I once had. If not then I guess I will just accept this part as well. What else can we do. I have changed my lifestyle,my routine and am trying to change my attitude. I keep expecting the old me to come back but truth is the old me had cancer. So, if this is the new me I will adjust hopefully. What does help me tho is to rest two days and be as active as I can on the third day. Eat healthy and think about things that I enjoy thinking about.
My check ups are good also but fatique does not show up there for me.
Now that being said, I must add that I have RA and CFS.....Chronic Fatique Syndrome. I have dealt with these for years and the flares usually subside after a couple of weeks but sense my surgeries they have stayed constantly.
I do know that radiation treatments cause a fatique problem that can last a few months or a few years.
I do hope you get some answers and some well derserved relief. But I can assure you that You are not alone with this one.
Best of luck.
Blessings......Pat

brcansur responded:
Doris,
Hello,I am also a stage 3 survivor of a little over 4 years. I too have a issue with being tired all the time and been to all my doctors and even sent to some others to have things checked out all I am told is that I had low vit d and iron but now they are back to normal and I still get tired very easy everyday. I also have fibro which doesn't help but before cancer I wasn't this bad I would have a lot more good days even months at a time. Now not a day goes buy without getting total worn out from doing just normal everyday stuff like cooking dinner, or just taking a shower and getting dressed. I so understand what you are going through and it does make you wonder at times when does it get better I am not that old I should be able to do a lot more then this. But please don't give up I find when I do have a pretty good day I get out and do all the things I enjoy doing but I also k now I will pay for it for the neck few days. So I make sure I don't have any thing to do on those days. I plan my shopping trips and errands on days that I know I don't have anything the next day so I will have a down day to just relax. Same for doing stuff around the house. But sad to say a lot of the time I have to have my friend do a lot of it for me due to other health issues I have back injuries and heart issues also so I can't do a lot some days. But we have to remember that exercise is the best thing for us do what we can everyday to keep our body moving even if it is walking around the house. It sounds funny but it gives you energy when you are moving more then just sitting around. So when you feel tired try walking a little even if just in your house maybe dust or walk from room to room putting things away. It works for me it wakes me up and gives me some energy. One last thing never give up checking things out with the doctors either I don't I still tell them how I am feeling each time I go in and they are staying on top of it and my blood work and weights. Because I am also losing weight but have not changed anything I am doing. Best of luck to you and sending loads of angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

cindy12345678 responded:
Doris,
I am also a stage 3 survivor. I am 47. I didn't have rads.
I do pretty good most days. I start out good but then I
get tired sooner in the evening. I have to cut back on the
amount of things I do in a day. I am sure it has to do with
treatment.I am taking vitamin d, and e. and tamoxifen.
We had cancer and they are just like , ok, youre good now.
They know there are side effects to those drugs. But we had
to use them.
hugs,
Cindy

Doris042 replied to brcansur's response:
I want to thank you all for your response, it makes me feel better knowing I am not alone in this. I am being treated for my thyroid and the Dr. said levels are good but I am going to ask about Vit.B. You hit the nail on the head with wanting to get back in to my life and my body disagreed. LOL I can relate to that.. Before I had Cancer I to was dealing with fibro but for the first time in many years it was in remission, I felt great, I had energy, no pain meds, but I had Cancer ? LOL I do pace myself the same way, every day I do a little and than rest, my 73 year old mother gets around better than me. I am writing a list of what you lady's had said and check in to it with my Dr. If this is how my new normal is than I will adjust, My zest for life is more than my body is willing to allow. You all have eased my mind, Thank you so much.. <3 Doris

brcansur replied to Doris042's response:
Doris,
I just read your post and noticed something that got my attention. You put that you were pain free in remission from fibro but you had cancer ? I also felt better during my cancer when it came to my fibro. It was right after I was done with chemo that it got really bad the pain is so much worse now and the headaches are like nothing I have even had before. I have a headache everyday now not matter what I do. I was told by my doctor I see for the fibro and arthritis that it would get worse due to the chemo but I didn't think it would last after chemo. I thought he ment during chemo I guess I was wrong.
When you go to the doctor make sure to see what you Vit D and Iron levels are because when mine were low it made me very tired also. I hope you get feeling better soon and get some energy so you can have some fun without feeling tired all the time. I know that knowing you are not alone in the way you are feeling helps it helped me a lot. Feeling alone makes you feel even worse and sicker so know that we are here for you and you are never alone. We maybe tired but we are here lol.lol. I will put toothpicks to hold my eyes open so we can talk ok lol.lol just joking my coffe helps and I have been cleaning out my closet and house boy that really helps. I have so much stuff I don't wear so out it goes !!! Let someone else have it that may wear it I haven't worked now for over 5 years so out with the work outfits that just hang there. Plus the dressy shoes to go with them that I haven't worn. Maybe someone that is looking for a job can use them. Some of them are new with tags still on them my bad lol.lol. I got them then couldn't go back to work due to car accident and injery to my back. But doing this has given me some energy lol.lol You should try it and it cleans out you closet and gives you more room lol.lol. I sat on the floor and had a blast and some ggod laughs when I found some old things that are going in the trash oh my god what was I thinking wow... They were way old in the back of my closet if you could have seen them you would be lol also and asking me all kinds of questions I am sure. If I could put pics on here I would so you all could have a laugh on me but my computor wont let me I have tried. Well that is all for now need to get back to cleaning out things. It is a rainy day so pefect for it. Have a great day and weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center