Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
breast Fibroadenoma removal- hollow sound following surgery?
MissyMachine posted:
Its been a whirlwind of events since I went to the doctor and told her I had found a lump that appears to be growing in my left breast.....but long story short, they determined they are benign fibroadenomas but they had to surgically remove what was left of it after a vacuum aided biopsy was performed. I had surgery on thursday last week, and 2 days ago as I was gently itching my incision site, i noticed it sounded funny- like hollow. So I flicked it and OMG I about freaked out. It sounds like there is a balloon filled with air inside! I am wondering if they put something in there to "fill in" the divet of tissue they removed? Is that normal? They didnt tell me they would be putting anything in there so....i'm not really sure what to think. I dont see the surgen for my follow up until next week so i figured i'd try to find out before then...cuz its freaky. Anyone else experience this or know what it is??

judyfams responded:
Breast surgeons usually do not fix divets in the breast. If that needs to be done - it is done by a plastic surgeon, so I don't think that is the reason for the sound.
Air might be trapped in the breast from the surgery, which the body might need time to re-absorb, or it might be a fluid accumulation or a blood accumulation.
You really should call the surgeon and speak to him since you are so upset, Do not wait until you see him next week.
Hopefully you will feel better after you speak to him.
Let us know what you find out.
Good luck,
Judy

rachael67 responded:
I am in total agreement with Judy...Call the doctor and tell him your concern/question. (Sometimes we forget that they work for us and not the other way around...Guess it is especially true for females as we don't like to "bother" them. However, never hesitate to ask questions!)

I am assuming the surgical site still has some sort of dressing/bandage over it? If that is the case, might what you hear be part of that bandage? Depending on how it is wrapped, there might be an empty space which creates such a sound.

Whatever the cause, you should give them a call...And then come back and "share with the class"!! You have us all wondering about your mystery now!

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

MissyMachine replied to rachael67's response:
I will call the surgeon tomorrow and hopefully they can tell me what that is! I will let you know too thanks ladies!

Helpful Tips

Breast Cancer Survivor
I had breast cancer surgery on right side just below my breast 2.2 cm part since 2001. It also removed 21 nodes my armpit to protect cancer ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center