Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Appropriate but worried
janiebeth49 posted:
I'm starting off Breast Cancer Awareness month with a scheduled mastectomy and reconstruction (expander) on October 3. They will be doing a sentinel lymph node biopsy to check for spread. I'm a very active person who has a particularly needy horse. What is a typical time for recovery from surgery? My horse currently needs daily care due to a particularly nasty cut (great timing right?) and I am trying to arrange for coverage. Can anyone help from their experiences?

mhall6252 responded:
Janiebeth - so sorry you're joining our little band of warriors. And sorry about your horuse - definitely not great timing!

Everyone heals differently but I think, generally, you'll be on the mend in two weeks. You will have weight restrictions of less than a few pounds for probably six weeks, maybe longer. So that is something to keep in mind if you have to haul water, feed or whatever else for your horse. My plastic surgeon warned me to be very careful when I had the expanders. Also, you don't want to do anything that would encourage lymphadema, another reason to limit the lifting as advised by your doctor.

Good luck with your surgery and recon. Do come back and let us know how you and your horse are doing!

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

rachael67 responded:
Aw, Janie, I am so sorry with not only what you are facing regarding breast cancer, but also that it is complicated with the illness of your horse! You certainly do not need either the physical or emotional demands of a "friend" added to your plate!

I cannot offer any info on healing time from a mastectomy/reconstruction as that was not a challenge I had to face, but I did want to assure you that you and "Beauty" (not knowing his name, I reached for a familiar one!) will be in my thoughts. Please know that we will all be aboard Pinkie for your October 3 date, offering support and lots of good wishes. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

As for length of recovery time, I do hope you can find others there to assist you and Beauty for as long as it is necessary. I know other members will chime in here with information and ideas.

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

2xBCSurvivr replied to rachael67's response:
I had a double mastectomy/reconstruction in 1993... my first battle with breast cancer. My doctor's were absolutely wonderful. My recovery from the surgery actually went really well. The reconstruction went good but was a pretty slow process. I had 'expanders' put in and the tissue was slowly expanded until ready for the implants. Of course, that was 19 yrs ago so I'm sure things have changed! I was working in an office full time and was out of work for 6 weeks. But, I did not have radiation or chemo that time. The cancer was non invasive.

In 2001 I had my second battle with another non invasive (different cancer though) cancer. Removed the cancer and had chemo and reconstruction. It wasn't easy but with the support and love of family and friends and the strength from God my recovery went well that time too! I feel very blessed to be where I am today!

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Susan

2xBCSurvivr responded:
My mastectomy and reconstruction (expander) was done on a Friday Oct 8 in 1993...so I'm sure things have changed quite a bit. But, I came home from the hospital on Sunday Oct 10 with the help of my husband. I still had drainage tubes in that he helped with. As stated below, the main restriction was with weight. You cannot pick up or carry much...I believe it was about 5 lbs. At least for the first couple of weeks.

I was a fairly healthy person and my recovery went very well. I know it's not the same for everyone. Every case and every person is different.

My thoughts and prayers are with you,
Susan

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center