Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Still Fighting
sweetie posted:
I am three years out from my first surgery in 2009....a lumpectomy. I was diagnosed with stage 2 IDC wiht negative lymph node involvement..30 rounds of radiation and Tamoxifen for 5 years. Now three years later I have had a bi-lateral mastectomy for unexplainable problems that started in both breast...lumps that had cell differiation and bleeding. This past March I was scheduled for the first stage of reconstruction, but once they opened up the side that was radiated they discovered that I had the worst radiation damage the dr. had seen in 25 years. Needless to say I was not a candidate.

I am now seeing a micro-vascular surgeon in Charleston SC to see if I can have the DIEP using my lower abdomin or hips. Hope to have this done by first of the year.

Sharon

rachael67 responded:
Oh Sharon, I cannot begin to know the disappointment you must have experienced. To have had to deal with breast issues twice would be beyond a challenge for anyone, but then to have such a discovery by the reconstruction surgeon??? Dear Lord! How my heart goes out to you.

So, now the hope is that things can finally turn the corner and begin heading in the right direction!! And that is where we will put the focus!! Then we will really celebrate the New Year and your "New Look"!!!

We will send good thoughts and wishes your way. Please let us know the dates, and how you are doing. We truly do care!

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
(((hugs))) Sharon.

I'm so sorry your reconstruction took an unexpected turn and am sending positive thoughts your way that the SC surgeon has the answers you need.

I look forward to getting to know you better -

Haylen

brcansur responded:
Sharon,
Hello, I am so sorry that you are going through all of this with having had the dx in the first place then the surgery and all. Now to hear that you can't have your reconstruction that puts the icing on the cake of bad news. I have an idea of how you feel I was there myself back in 2008 when I was dx. I was to have mine done the same time as my bi mast and woke up to a flat chest. Was told due to my tumors being bigger then they showed on my last MRI and attached to my skin they had to take more skin so there fore could not have the recontruction at this time. I was fine with that I just wanted the cancer gone so I went on with my treatments and used the fake boobs for a year. But then was having issues with them I was allergic to them it turned out. So a year later had my reconstructions done but I have had some issues also due to the way they had to cut because of the size and shape of my tumors. What I am trying to tell you please don't give up hope give this doctor a chance ans see what he has to say and what happens. There are a lot of differnt ways to have your reconstruction done you just have to find a way that will work for you and your body now after treatment. I am sending lots of angel hugs and prayers your way for comfort and support. I hope that this has help you in some way Roberta,
Roberta

jenna291 replied to brcansur's response:
Sharon, I am very sorry that you had to go thru all this. I had not heard of such extreme radiation damage.

I am sending you hugs and prayers that this surgeon can help you.

~ Jenna

Helpful Tips

Breast Cancer Survivor
I had breast cancer surgery on right side just below my breast 2.2 cm part since 2001. It also removed 21 nodes my armpit to protect cancer ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center