Dealing with side effects of tamoxifen
TeranO posted:
Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for dealing with the side effects of Tamoxifen? I've been having mood swings, hotflashes, and joint pain. I was diagnosed with stage 1 estrogen receptive postitive breast cancer. I had a double mastectomy since I have a very strong family history and I'm only 28 years old. He said because my cancer hadn't spread beyond my breast tissue that I didn't need chemo or radiation. The tamoxifen would be enough. I haven't had kids yet so removing my ovaries isn't an option yet. I want to make this work. My symptoms aren't horrible, but they are not fun either. I'd appreciate any imput I could get: diet, exercise, natural meds, stress relief techniques- I'm open to it all. Thanks, Teran

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi TeranO - As we frequently say, we're sorry you are here but glad that you found us.

I know you're looking for first hand information (the wonderful members here will chime in soon) but in the meantime, here is a link to a 2008 clinical trial: Acupuncture eases the hot flashes and night sweats common in women taking tamoxifen and Arimidex after breast cancer treatment .

As always, check with your doc before starting or stopping any kind of treatment!

Additionally, the WebMD Drugs & Medication Guide has product information and over 300 user reviews for tamoxifen that might discuss side effects and remedies.

Haylen

jenna291 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
HI TeranO, I was put into medically induced menopause chemo which caused major hot flashes, then once finished with all treatment I took tamoxifen for 2 1/2 years. I am sorry to say I didn't find much relief from hot flashes. I always layered my clothing so I would have short sleeves ready when the flash hit me!
I have been taking Arimidex now for a little over 2 years, and I still get hot flashes, but not as frequently.
Regarding the joint pain, moving around helps me a lot. I find that a good walk really does help relief the discomfort. Also, stay hydrated. I don't know if diet really matters, sometimes when I eat wonderfully the joint pain acts up, but I'd like to think its easier by being pro-active with exercise & diet.
Keep a little battery operated fan with you - Home Depot sells them - works wonders!
good luck to you ~
Jenna