Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dealing with side effects of tamoxifen
TeranO posted:
Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for dealing with the side effects of Tamoxifen? I've been having mood swings, hotflashes, and joint pain. I was diagnosed with stage 1 estrogen receptive postitive breast cancer. I had a double mastectomy since I have a very strong family history and I'm only 28 years old. He said because my cancer hadn't spread beyond my breast tissue that I didn't need chemo or radiation. The tamoxifen would be enough. I haven't had kids yet so removing my ovaries isn't an option yet. I want to make this work. My symptoms aren't horrible, but they are not fun either. I'd appreciate any imput I could get: diet, exercise, natural meds, stress relief techniques- I'm open to it all. Thanks, Teran

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi TeranO - As we frequently say, we're sorry you are here but glad that you found us.

I know you're looking for first hand information (the wonderful members here will chime in soon) but in the meantime, here is a link to a 2008 clinical trial: Acupuncture eases the hot flashes and night sweats common in women taking tamoxifen and Arimidex after breast cancer treatment .

As always, check with your doc before starting or stopping any kind of treatment!

Additionally, the WebMD Drugs & Medication Guide has product information and over 300 user reviews for tamoxifen that might discuss side effects and remedies.

Haylen

jenna291 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
HI TeranO, I was put into medically induced menopause chemo which caused major hot flashes, then once finished with all treatment I took tamoxifen for 2 1/2 years. I am sorry to say I didn't find much relief from hot flashes. I always layered my clothing so I would have short sleeves ready when the flash hit me!
I have been taking Arimidex now for a little over 2 years, and I still get hot flashes, but not as frequently.
Regarding the joint pain, moving around helps me a lot. I find that a good walk really does help relief the discomfort. Also, stay hydrated. I don't know if diet really matters, sometimes when I eat wonderfully the joint pain acts up, but I'd like to think its easier by being pro-active with exercise & diet.
Keep a little battery operated fan with you - Home Depot sells them - works wonders!
good luck to you ~
Jenna

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center