Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Misdiagnosis of Breast Tumor
An_248191 posted:
Stress ...... I pray this never happens to any other woman. Now, one year after the surgery, I can't stop thinking about my "Misdiagnosis", and what the difference would have been if my Doctor, and Radiologist, had discovered the tumor during my annual exam. Maybe the cancer would have NOT gone to my LymphNodes; it spread to within 1cm of my chest wall. This is "Stress" to me, I have written out what happened....

4-19-2011 - Annual physical with mammogram and hands-on breast exam by: Dr.---------- ------- "WebMD say's No Doctor Names" ----------- ----------- --------- ----

4-20-2011 - Mammogram read & reported by: Dr.--------- -------- ------ ----------- (Note: Dr. ---- ----- out-contracted my mammogram reading & interpretation to Dr. ----- -----, who did NOT use CAD system.)

NOTE: Dr. ----- ---- and Dr. ----- --- gave me the all-clear. HOWEVER, both failed to detect right breast mass, which is clearly evident on two re-reads of 4/19/2011 mammogram.

8-22-2011 I, Frances Morris detects lump in my right breast. Exam @ ER Summit, Show Low, AZ. Exam @ surgeon's offices..

8-23-2011 Biopsy Diagnosis: Breast right mass @ 7:00, needle biopsy. INFILTRATING DUCTAL CARCINOMA GRADE III/III

8-30-2011 Mastectomy - Right Modified Radical Mastectomy, plus Metastatic Carcinoma present in 4 of 11 Lymph Nodes. 3.5cm Tumor.

IN CONCLUSION: I received the "all clear" from my Physician (of the past decade), as well as from the mammogram Radiologist.

4 months later, I undergo a Mastectomy, with removal of 11 Lymph Nodes, 4 of which were cancerous. 3.5cm Tumor.

Lesson learned... consider getting your mammogram read twice, especially if you have cancer in your family. Ask your doctor if your mammogram will also be read by a computer, called CAD... Computer Aided Detection.

My suggestions; make sure you do your self-exams, regularly. Don't hesitate going to your Doctor, if you feel something abnormal. Don't put it off! Early detection is the key.

Of course, I think about this: had my doctors done their jobs, and found my tumor in April of 2011, I may have gotten by with a lumpectomy, no cancer in my LymphNodes, no chemotherapy, no baldness, no full-body rash, no radiation, no lymphedema, no nausea, no stomach aches, no mouth & throat issues, no awful breast prothesis, no ill-fitting mastectomy bras, no reconstructive surgery, and no daily Rx for years to come. Of course, I shall never know.

I have to wonder how many other women, who depended on Dr. ------ ------ ------- ----------- ----------- ---------, are in the same position as I am. We even tried to get my Misdiagnosis story published in the local newspaper, so other local women, who used Dr. --------, could get their Mammogram re-read, but the newspaper would not publish the story. Therefore, any other woman, with the same issue as me, will never be warned.

Dr. ------- -------- ---------- -------, was my doctor for over 10 years. We insisted she do a re-read of my April 19, 2011 mammogram, and she realized that she, and the radiologist, both missed the tumor. She immediately stopped communicating with us.

The Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners have a web site. We have filed a Malpractice Complaint with them. They do investigate, BUT, we just found out that any & all results of their investigations are kept strictly confidential. So, my husband, Ken and I will never know the Complaint outcome. We will never get closure.

We have also filed Official Complaints with the American College of Radiology, as well as Medicare, and my Supplemental Insurance.

Remember, The American Cancer Society states: "The earlier you discover any cancer, the better chance for your cure." And your life...

Frances Morris - if you need additional information, please email me personally.. my email is: kenandfran@yahoo.com

rachael67 responded:
Thank you so much for sharing your terrible experience in an effort to help others! I cannot begin to say how sorry I am that you or anyone would have to endure this kind of journey.

I am glad that you are making every effort you can to spare others from similar situations. Congratulations on making such an earnest effort...You may never know how many individuals you are helping, but be aware that there will be many!

Please know that we send you our deepest sympathy for the past along with good wishes that in the future your journey will be less stressful. Please continue to be an active member here, and do let us know how you are doing.

Blessings.
Rachael
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center