Skip to content
Scared please answer me soon - thank you.
Anon_11642 posted:
Hi - I had breast cancer in 2003 and had right mastectomy - had a mammogram on my left breast last week and got a call from doctor's office that they need a few more pics as there is a change - she said the "architecture" is different from last year's mammogram. I asked her to explain more - she said a little more "density" - anyway they want 3 more pics - in the ductal area is where the tech took it - when I had it in the right breast it was in the duct area.

I am scared and out of mind about this - have to wait 1 or 2 days to get results - a panic is filling me with red face and hot flashes and just worried.

The tech said a lot of people who come back for more pics are ok so not to get shook. Well, I am already shook.

Has anyone had this same thing "change in architecture" and was ok - I looked at it and saw a little white there but tech said a lot of people have that white and it doesn't always mean anything.

Anyway, would appreciate anyone's response with the same words "change in architecture" or more density???

Thank you for listening.

rachael67 responded:
Okay...Take a slow, deep breath, and slowly release it. Again, slowly in, slowly out. Continue to do this exercise until your world begins to slow down to a more manageable pace. It is free, always available, and effective.

Now, I can fully appreciate your concerns. Most of us tend to hold our breath when going for our mammograms each time. However, the nurse was right: Density is a very important issue when reading mammograms. And post-treatment and with the passage of years, our breasts tend to become more dense. One of the big improvements in mammograms is the digital machine as it helps "see" in and around the tissue. Also, the use of ultrasound and MRI is very beneficial.

As 80% of all lumps are benign and being called back for some sort of retesting is normal, I would say it is safe to not assume the worst until you have more evidence to do so! Okay??? (I know! Despite that reassurance, you will most likely fret up a storm until you get the results!)

One thing you might ask is that they give you some information while you are in the facility. Many are able to do so and when they know one is greatly concerned, they will sometimes be kind and let you "exhale" before leaving them. Talk to your doctor and see if he can pressure them a bit.

Meanwhile please know that we will all be sending tons of good thoughts your way, Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Anon_11642 replied to rachael67's response:
Thank you Rachel. When I got back from having the 3 pics I called my dr's ARNP - she was the one who called me initially today - and told her that the tech said they could possibly get the pics as early as tomorrow. She said they would keep their eye on the "board" (computer board maybe?) and I told her I was very "anxious" and she said she knows that and will do her best.

Thank you so much for answering me - it's really funny but you know who your true friends are when you have something like this - it really is a test of what a "real" friend is. I could write some stories on that subject.

Again, thanks.

vajanie replied to Anon_11642's response:
Hi, have never been in your situtation, exactly, but do know the anxiety of being called back for follow-up mammograms. I know this is terribly stressful. Wanted to wish you the best of luck, and by the way try to take Rachel's advice. I have received such support and tips of dealing with all aspects of breast cancer.
Thinking of you,

Janie

jenna291 replied to vajanie's response:
Hi ladies,
I have always heard and read that breast tissue becomes less dense with age - just found this one article:
Breast density varies from woman to woman, and it also decreases with age. Dr Eriksson explained: "Density can vary greatly, even between postmenopausal women. In the group of women I studied, those with the lowest percentage density had breasts that were less than one percent dense, whereas those with highest PD had 75-80% dense breasts. The mean average PD was 18%. However, density does decrease with age. Studies have shown a decrease by approximately two percent per year. The largest decrease is seen at menopause when PD decreases by approximately 10%."
My oncologist has told me my breast are a less dense since I went thru menopause. Don't like to hear that its possible for some women to have more dense breasts, as that is why my mammogram was missed in the first place!!!
Oh, how important it is to breathe!
Good luck Anon - praying for you for good results ~
Jenna

Anon_11642 replied to jenna291's response:
It was ok - was a cyst the size of a pea. I am 68 years old and dr said it is unusual for a person my age to have a cyst but she says women 40-60 years of age more common - is going to do a 4 mo ck and sonogram it again - but she said radiologist recommended 1 year but we are going to redo that in 4 mos. But sure glad it wasnt cancer.

Thank you for all your postings - really appreciate it.

vajanie replied to Anon_11642's response:
Hi,

I am so happy for you that it turned out well. I know how stressed you were, having been there myself.
I wish you all the best with your next check-up.

Janie

rachael67 replied to Anon_11642's response:
Hurray!!!

And how wise to check in 6 months just to be sure...Lets you relax in the meantime and not have to wait a full year!

Now, go enjoy the autumn!!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Helpful Tips

Breast Cancer Survivor
I had breast cancer surgery on right side just below my breast 2.2 cm part since 2001. It also removed 21 nodes my armpit to protect cancer ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center