Skip to content
Ductal Carcinoma In Situ
An_244656 posted:
During my mammogram my Dr found microcalcifications which he was sure were benign. After having a biopsy to make sure they were benign I recieved a call yesterday that in fact I have Ductal Carcinoma. I have been trying to get more detailed information from others going throught the same. I am meeting with a surgeon tomorrow to discuss what treatment options are & to see if additional tests are ordered. I admit it is scary but I need answers from people who are going through the same situation.

rachael67 responded:
I went thru the same thing in 2003....The passage of that many years should give you a bit of encouragement, right?! I had a lumpectomy following an excisional biopsy (which is so similar to the lumpectomy, I could not tell you the difference! It was done primarily to make sure the margins were clear.)

Both procedures were rather straight-forward, and I recovered well. This was followed by 35 radiation treatments which, again, were relatively easy taking less time for each treatment than it did to drive to the facility!

I opted out of following with 5 years of anti-hormone meds as I felt for me the risk greater than the benefits.

(So much of the choices you are given and the direction you take depends on the individual person and the breast cancer. We are fortunate with options but sometimes it can make choosing a challenge!)

I know right now it is rather confusing and frightening, but I do think that your prognosis will be most promising! Please know you will be in our thoughts. And do come back and let us know how you are doing.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

sunflower1943 replied to rachael67's response:
I had invastive ductal carcinoma and had my entire breast removed in 2003 also - am fine still - I was stage I but from what I understand ductal carcinoma in situ is the best cancer to have - that is stage 0 - see the cancer hasn't broken yet - in situ - means it is still encapsulated so you really had the best if one were to get cancer.

Anyway, you will live a long time - just get it taken care of - have a friend who had stage 0 like you too and she just had a lumpectomy - I had a right simple mastectomy - just do whatever makes you feel good.

You will be fine. Hope I helped some.

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center